Any RadMini people out there

Hi Nick, I set to 22" just to get accurate speed and distance, and it felt pretty much the same to me, but I already had the slick tires on there. I think the 26" setting would lead the speed limit to kick in before you have achieved the top speed of the motor, since it "thinks" it's going 20 when it's really going maybe 17 or so. I recommend a setting that matches the diameter of the inflated tires. Have you tried the Sunlite tires yet?

Finally got the new freewheel installed and my replacement controller is supposed to arrive tomorrow. If I had to do it over, I might not have messed with the freewheel at all, or I would have at least planned more carefully or gone straight to a bike shop. I spent a lot of time messing around with it.

I have 2 more bikes coming in. A Volt bike folding clone and a Sondors Fat bike. Since the RAD Mini is my designated dog carrier, I was thinking of putting the tires on my new folding bike. This clone comes with a front suspension and a 20 AH 48v battery!

volt.jpg

I wanted to sell that RAD Mini, but I have a feeling the RAD bike will have qualities I will miss. I am also understanding some draw backs with front suspension and a Shock absorbing seat post. Suspension front fork adds some comfort but also adds weight and reduces power transferred. When I ride with my GF she is 5'4 and needs the seat post to be all the way down. With the suspension post it will lose about 3 inches from the lowest setting. So for easy dog riding I am using the solid RAD bike, I will mess with the one from China and make it a monster.

So my plan is to keep the RAD MINI as is, I have a upgraded Silverfish battery that is 48v 20AH coming at the same time as the new folder so we will see what the pros and cons are.

Volt Bike Clone - 2000 - crazy shipping costs and fees from China
Front Suspension
Hydrolic Brakes
48v 20AH Battery
Bafang 500w prolly runs at 750 motor
LCD with PAS
front and rear lights that run from battery
rear rack
same components for drive like the MINI

I am trying to become and authorized dealer for these bikes. Everything I ordered has been spoken for this round and I have not setup a pre order system yet. If you are interested in seeing the differences, I'd be willing to meet you on the trail once my new baby arrives!

Nick

Last edited:
@NinjaNick , your pic didn't load right. Try deleting it from the post above and be sure to upload your image from your computer not another website. Should work

Yes, that is a cool bike, and with almost a KWH of energy! My ghetto fenders have better coverage though :p Would be interested in checking out the bike. I wonder how much it weighs?

So I found the culprit of the flat which sent me on the original mission to optimize the radmini for my environment. I was cutting the punctured stock tube to use for a project, and out came this jagged pebble, almost like a small arrowhead in shape. It's from the horse trail on the side of our local rail-trail, the W&OD. I do believe the Mr. Tuffy would have stood a chance of deflecting it, having handled the Mr Tuffy extensively.

IMG_20160615_175609683 - Copy.jpg

Freewheel, brake rotors, and fenders complete. I'm hoping after the controller arrives I'll be done tinkering for a long time. I've been commuting Fridays on the mini and I hope it's ready!

@walawn I'm in west Falls Church, about 5 miles from you. In the other thread you said people made comments... was that on the Custis or W&OD? I have had a couple of friendly or curious comments, but nothing bad. I try to drive slowly around people, dial it down to 2 or 3, the riders on racing bikes go faster at that point. I guess I would just say "car replacement" or "commuting" in rebuttal. Or just cruise on by ad enjoy the ride. But I still only have 70 miles on this bike.

Sorry some of the Rover users are having chain problems, that's one issue I haven't had. The ability to tune a bike really helps, for years I've been referencing my stained copy of Zen and the Art of Mountain Biking, it has saved me hundreds of dollars.

@mbirds Oh, cool. I'm sure I'll see you on the trail then. It was on the Mt. Vernon trail. I've had mostly good comments so far. Usually when I'm stopped at intersections. I'll take your advice and dial it down too although I'm usually pretty courteous. I just hit 122 miles on mine today. Hopefully all my chain issues are dealt with by this point. I may run into some issues when I install my new tires and 11-32 cassette next week though...

Last edited:
I am in west Falls Church also. I have been hassled twice by I think the same guy, once in Falls Church and once past Reston, I don't think he liked being passed, he appears to be stereo type Lycra rider. No other people around and I was going fast but doing nothing else to get yelled at as he did, just let him go ahead.

That's cool that there are a couple of you guys near me. I don't really have any riding partners right now. I've been hassled twice by the same guy too (on different days). He really seems to be an ebike hater. I hope that we can all get together and ride one day (@opimax and @mbirds). I ride a motorcycle too and Coleman Powersports is my dealer in Falls Church so I'm in that area all the time. I'm also thinking of trying out that Title Boxing place in Falls Church off of Lee and riding the Radrover there to workout. I don't know the trails in Falls Church at all since I pretty much stay in the Rosslyn/North Arlington area. It would be great to have a guide the first time I'm out.

currently (today they started) putting my basement back together after a couple years of water issues. I hope to have a summer ebike cook out/ride in July after completed. We had a small get together in the past , hoping we can get a few more people to show up next time

Count me in too! That guy's going to have to get used to it because I'm noticing more ebikes every day. The W&OD is awesome, it goes all the way from Arlington to Purcellville, past Leesburg, 40 miles total. It gets increasingly rural as you get away from the city. I do feel less self conscious riding on streets, no one seems to care. I like to hit the trails just at dark when they're not crowded, but I may be using this for a 16 mile each way commute to Anacostia next year, which would involve the Custis and W&OD.

Got the bike back together! Haven't gone on a test ride yet. Almost freaked out when I plugged everything in, got the wheel on, and got an error 24, motor hall sensor malfunction. Turns out one of the connectors wasn't plugged in all the way, THANK GOODNESS. I thought I might have damaged the connector to the wheel or something, I was about to lose it.

Having taken the rear wheel off 5 times now, it is so much easier. I feel much more prepared to deal with a flat. The quick link on the chain and the foam handlebar protectors make a big difference.

Happy riding!!

@mbirds I just did 26 miles today out towards Mt. Vernon. It's nice to know that my battery has more range than I thought. I did ECO mode 2 for 75% of it and STD mode 3 for rest. My tires and 11-32 cassette just came in today. I should get them mounted Tuesday after my HD tubes come in Monday. I'm glad all was well with yours. Sometimes I get error messages too when I turn on the LCD while holding the brake. I freaked the first time too so I know how you feel. Maybe we can ride the W&OD together one day. I always ride alone and get nervous when I stray too far from home lol.

Just went for a shakedown ride. All good. The brakes are FIXED. I think the stock rotors had a thick spot. No more vibration when braking!! The Outerdo rotors from amazon get a thumbs up.

The freewheel allows good assist past 25mph. The derailleur needs to be tuned, not surprising. I am officially done for now, except for easy fun accessories.

@walawn I will send you a pm to go for a ride some time soon.

I ride every other day almost, 50-80 miles avg 17-21 mph, happy to meet up anytime sorry to op for hijack of thread

I ride mainly on 4 mile run and Mt Vernon, nothing but cool comments and things like that. Have not had a negative response from a stranger or fellow rider. Sounds like a lot more idiots on the W & OD. I have only gotten a tiny bit of crap from my friends. Once they ride the bike, they instantly want one for them selves.

My experience is people hate what they do not understand\afford. I could care less what people think, if I am not endangering anyone. This is kinda awesome we have 4 Minis in Falls Church! I call for a meet up!

Nick

Last edited:
I have Stromers, but I live near the W&OD , get on at 8.5 headed west or if heading east get on at 6.0

Back