Any pointers loading XP into back of SUV

Taylor57

I am going to the mountains for a few days and want to take the XP. Any pointers breaking down and folding the XP and getting it into the SUV without breaking my back and scratching the car? Or is it just put a blanket over the bumper and heave ho? Thanks in advance...

That looks like 14 extra lbs I have to lift up into my SUV. I guess I should have mentioned I have no help lifting the bike up into the SUV

That looks like 14 extra lbs I have to lift up into my SUV. I guess I should have mentioned I have no help lifting the bike up into the SUV
A lot of us gets this...you can only get it from Lowes...Fits perfectly..

Attachments

• 15964290248663177450347810505667.jpg
    15964290248663177450347810505667.jpg
    440.6 KB · Views: 1,772
  • 20200529_160314.jpg
    20200529_160314.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 1,896
I saw a youtube video the other day that showed a guy demonstrating a bike rack that pivots down so loading a bike is a little bit easier. If you scroll to the 9m45s mark, you'll see his getting his lectric xp bike onto the rack with minimal effort.

If you have the room, maybe you could roll the bike up into your SUV with a dog ramp?
There was a post a year ago about someone using a ramp to load a lectric xp bike into a Honda CRV with a ramp.

Ramp for loading Lectric XP

Dunno, seems a little dodgy. One mishap and you can end up having the bike fall on you, or scratch/dent your vehicle and damaging your bike.

Maybe you can use a ramp along with the container that lloose mentioned which has the wheels attached and somehow push/pull the bike up the ramp. Once it's past the bumper, you can basically slide the container to wherever you have room in the SUV. I'm not sure if that would require more or less effort than the ol'e heave ho method.

Removing the battery first would lighten to weight significantly. I think someone said the battery alone weights like 20LBs.

Whatever method you end up using, please let us know. I have a '08 prius and the 1 1/4" hitch and bike rack that I have is no where near strong enough to carry the ebike, so I'll need to figure out how to fit it inside the prius for transport. I'm always curious how other people transport their ebikes around.

I'm 68...take the battery out and the seat off...that reduces the weight by 10 pounds and that may not seem like a lot...but it is. Just fold the bike as close to the back end of the SUV. That way you aren't carrying it. Also use a strap or an old belt or something to keep the bike from separating once its folded TIGHTLY. Simply lift the bike up straight with your LEGS and set it on the bumper. You may want to cover the bumper. Once its on the bumper you are home free. Just push it in and make sure the bike can't roll around or tip over. I too thought about that tote box or a ramp and frankly I'm glad I didn't bother with more stuff to carry around. Think about it...how do you get the folded bike INTO the tote box...?..ahhh...you have to lift it to put it in so you may as well just lift it onto the bumper. You are only lifting it a very small height and use both hands placed front and back.

Last edited:
I am going to the mountains for a few days and want to take the XP. Any pointers breaking down and folding the XP and getting it into the SUV without breaking my back and scratching the car? Or is it just put a blanket over the bumper and heave ho? Thanks in advance...

If you can do it without folding is much easier. There's really no easy way to do it folded unless you have a high curb to back your SUV up against.

I'm 68...take the battery out and the seat off...that reduces the weight by 10 pounds and that may not seem like a lot...but it is. Just fold the bike as close to the back end of the SUV. That way you aren't carrying it. Also use a strap or an old belt or something to keep the bike from separating once its folded TIGHTLY. Simply lift the bike up straight with your LEGS and set it on the bumper. You may want to cover the bumper. Once its on the bumper you are home free. Just push it in and make sure the bike can't roll around or tip over. I too thought about that tote box or a ramp and frankly I'm glad I didn't bother with more stuff to carry around. Think about it...how do you get the folded bike INTO the tote box...?..ahhh...you have to lift it to put it in so you may as well just lift it onto the bumper. You are only lifting it a very small height and use both hands placed front and back.

I agree with ALMOST all of what myers830 says.

Here's a little different take. Get the tote shown here;

https://www.lowes.com/pd/COMMANDER-...-and-Yellow-Tote-with-Latching-Lid/1000421927 ($37.98)

Yes, you will have to lift the folded bike to put it in the tote (19" lift). The floor in a 2016 Toyota 4Runner requires a 30" lift with an additional awkward reach-over to clear the bumper, etc. Ouch!

Almost anything is called an SUV these days, so your situation may vary. But no one argues that a 4Runner is not an SUV :). In any case, the relatively straight-up lower lift and clearing the thin side of the tote to set the bike inside will make your back much happier than the lift/reach to get into the SUV.

Then you pick up one end of the tote, and roll it - most of the weight is on the good-size (6") wheels - up to the rear of the SUV and set your end in the SUV. Then lift the wheeled end and push the easily gripped,nicely packaged bike into the vehicle. No need to tie the bike down. Easily move the totified/bike around without damaging the bike by contact with adjacent items, since it is protected by the plastic tote. Use the tote for any number of non bike uses when not biking, I am 80 this November, and consider the low cost of this very useful tote money well spent. My wife and I have 2 of these. Both fit in the rear of the 4Runner easily.

Other posters have said that the bike will fit in the next size smaller tote, but I am not sure that (40 gal.?)
size has wheels, or if so that they are large enough to be useful (i.e. not the tiny "airport luggage" size).
The little extra space in this larger tote will hold gloves, jacket whatever.

If your vehicle has the space, I think , in this case, bigger is better. ;-)

PS - Checked the Lowe's ad for the 40 gal size,...no wheels!

Last edited:

I agree. I removed the battery and seat and lifted up into back of my suv pretty easily. I did put a blanket down to cover bumper just in case. A bungee cord would come in handy to keep bike from spreading apart. Probably about a 50 lbs clean and jerk!

Yes Taylor57, I do this all of the time with my Subaru Crosstrek and a Radmini.

Last edited:
A lot of us gets this...you can only get it from Lowes...Fits perfectly..
1597146461429.png

Darceman, so the Plano XXL Tote that has the wheels is not the tote that you use? Is it the Commander XXL 40 Gal. tote the one you use or is it the Plano XXL tote? Thanks.

Last edited:
So, the Plano XXL Tote that has the wheels is not the tote that you use? Is it the Commander XXL 40 Gal. tote the one you use and does the Commander tote have wheels? Thanks.
The large tote with 6" wheels is the Commander XXL from Lowe's.
The smaller Commander 40 gal. has no wheels.

I too have the Commander 40 gallon tote which does fit the bike perfectly...if you still have the factory folding peddles! I always put my folded bike in wheels first so that I only have to tilt it to the front wheel side of the fold and can then push it easily into my suv. I found that if when I tried to put the bike in with the tires to the back I had to lift the front of the bike up to push it in. I agree with removing the battery but not only for the weight savings, I have almost broken off my key when I left it in while folding and moving my bike around. I also use a rubber mat from Home Depot under the bike to protect my suv from scratches, dirt and mud.

I use the Craftsman 50 gal tote from Lowes. I drive an '05 Dodge Grand Caravan and I find it MUCH easier to load the tote into the van. I position the tote handle to the right, wheels to the left, and sitting against the bumper. It is sandwiched between the folded bike and the bumper. I have the rear wheels of the bike on the left, handlebars on the right UNfolded. After I lift the bike into the tote (which is lower than lifting it into the van; tote is 18" tall) I fold the handlebars, and lift the tote handle to spin it clockwise so the tote wheels face the van.

Next I lift the tote and rest it's wheels on the bumper, so it's roughly at a 45 degree angle. Finally I just lift the tote by the handle and slide it into the van.

Sure, you're lifting weight three times, but once in the tote with one side on the ground it's way easier than the dead lift getting it into the tote.

Definitely remove the battery (7#) haven't thought to take seat off but that's not a bad idea either. Make sure you bungie / securely strap the 2 bike wheels together before you lift it into the tote. Another thing nice about the tote method is it keeps your vehicle clean from rocks, mud or dirt. It all stays in the tote which is easy to clean.

I'm a very small guy, only 125 # and have left side weakness. If I can manage it likely any adult can.

Back