Any pointers loading XP into back of SUV

I agree with ALMOST all of what myers830 says.

Here's a little different take. Get the tote shown here;

https://www.lowes.com/pd/COMMANDER-...-and-Yellow-Tote-with-Latching-Lid/1000421927 ($37.98)

Yes, you will have to lift the folded bike to put it in the tote (19" lift). The floor in a 2016 Toyota 4Runner requires a 30" lift with an additional awkward reach-over to clear the bumper, etc. Ouch!

Almost anything is called an SUV these days, so your situation may vary. But no one argues that a 4Runner is not an SUV :). In any case, the relatively straight-up lower lift and clearing the thin side of the tote to set the bike inside will make your back much happier than the lift/reach to get into the SUV.

Then you pick up one end of the tote, and roll it - most of the weight is on the good-size (6") wheels - up to the rear of the SUV and set your end in the SUV. Then lift the wheeled end and push the easily gripped,nicely packaged bike into the vehicle. No need to tie the bike down. Easily move the totified/bike around without damaging the bike by contact with adjacent items, since it is protected by the plastic tote. Use the tote for any number of non bike uses when not biking, I am 80 this November, and consider the low cost of this very useful tote money well spent. My wife and I have 2 of these. Both fit in the rear of the 4Runner easily.

Other posters have said that the bike will fit in the next size smaller tote, but I am not sure that (40 gal.?)
size has wheels, or if so that they are large enough to be useful (i.e. not the tiny "airport luggage" size).
The little extra space in this larger tote will hold gloves, jacket whatever.

If your vehicle has the space, I think , in this case, bigger is better. ;-)

PS - Checked the Lowe's ad for the 40 gal size,...no wheels!
When you put the bike in this 60G tote, can you still put the lid on top?

When you put the bike in this 60G tote, can you still put the lid on top?

No, the bike sticks out of the open top. (Tip - do not lift the container by the yellow "handles",
...those are really fragile latches to keep the lid on.)

Here's a youtube showing the bike in the large tote, with( in the vehicle) and without the handlebars folded;

Last edited:
No, the bike sticks out of the open top. (Tip - do not lift the container by the yellow "handles",
...those are really fragile latches to keep the lid on.)

Here's a youtube showing the bike in the large tote, with( in the vehicle) and without the handlebars folded;

That video was super helpful - appreciate the time you took to show how it folds up, rolls around in the container and especially how you put it in your “Big Red” 😀

The ability to tilt and slide the bike is the real key...as I’m nervous that today without the container, Im scratching it and damaging it as I dump it in the back of my ol’ ford explorer

That video was super helpful - appreciate the time you took to show how it folds up, rolls around in the container and especially how you put it in your “Big Red” 😀

The ability to tilt and slide the bike is the real key...as I’m nervous that today without the container, Im scratching it and damaging it as I dump it in the back of my ol’ ford explorer

Giving credit where due:
Big Red is one of the vehicles of "Adventure Outdoors", who is the original poster of the YouTube video.
I simply provided a link to it.

I got the 40gal tote Lowes brand. It has the widest inside width (better than 19") of all the totes I measured; it has wheels and a nice big carry handle. I will need to add padding to the sharp side edges so I can grab them when lifting. As you can see, it fits easily into my Honda Fit.

Attachments

• LowesTote_Front.jpeg
    LowesTote_Front.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 270
  • LowesTote_Side.jpeg
    LowesTote_Side.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 295
  • LowesTote_Car.jpeg
    LowesTote_Car.jpeg
    129.8 KB · Views: 268
For those who "had to have a folding bike"...then bought a Lectric version 2 along with the optional front and rear baskets...you probably defeated the folding option (unless you intend to remove and the install again those baskets every time you want to fold the bike...i.e. you ain't gonna do it).

I am going to the mountains for a few days and want to take the XP. Any pointers breaking down and folding the XP and getting it into the SUV without breaking my back and scratching the car? Or is it just put a blanket over the bumper and heave ho? Thanks in advance...
Back up to it on a motorcycle jack?

Back