Any info on 2023 Models , 4.0/5.0 Vado's &SL 's ?

That's not very kind of you - especially when considering that I would have liked to buy this one in a local store but it is virtually impossible. Btw this was the reason I bought the Vado 4.0 two years ago although I wanted the 5.0 with suspension - they simply hadn't the 5.0, nor had any other store it in the main capital.
As a long time e-biker you should know better than an e-bike without local support might one day turn into a brick. What would you do? Send it back to Germany?

Regarding the SL selection. I was considering 4 vs 5 and EQ vs non-EQ. I was waiting with the SL purchase for a very long time as I was not sure whether a low power/small battery e-bike would satisfy my needs. A demo ride on a SL 4.0 non-EQ convinced me to buy. The only version available in my size was a "Dove Gray" (gray white) SL 4.0 EQ. I knew the pros and cons and bought it on the spot. Now, adding Redshift ShockStop suspension stem and ShockStop suspension post was actually far cheaper than buying a 5.0, which I could get in the finish I did not like, or to wait from June to December 2021... Important: I bought the e-bike from Specialized Brand Store that can handle my e-bike at any time. And is willing to do that.

Meanwhile, I converted my Vado SL into a gravel e-bike with flat handlebars and am very very happy!

Though I question companies like that; why have two lightweight motor systems? It's like Porsche buying a large stake in Fazua but also saying they are developing their own e bikes but not necessarily with Fazua. Not keeping eggs in one basket I suppose.
Trek currently has at least six different motor systems on their e-bikes... Not very smart.
  1. Older Bosch E-Bike
  2. Bosch E-Bike Smart System
  3. Fazua
  4. Hyena
  5. TQ
  6. The one used on Electra e-bikes.
Trek does not own any of the above systems.
(I might have forgotten one system more). Nobody can provide motors, controllers, batteries, and accessories for so many systems in a long run.

While Specialized keeps two... no, three systems:
  1. Full power Gen 1 (Brose): The system by Specialized
  2. Full-power Gen 2 Mastermind (Brose): The system by Specialized
  3. SL with interchangeable TCU and Mastermind TCU (Mahle, exclusive with Specialized).

Last edited:
Trek currently has at least six different motor systems on their e-bikes... Not very smart.
  1. Older Bosch E-Bike
  2. Bosch E-Bike Smart System
  3. Fazua
  4. Hyena
  5. TQ
  6. The one used on Electra e-bikes.
Trek does not own any of the above systems.
(I might have forgotten one system more). Nobody can provide motors, controllers, batteries, and accessories for so many systems in a long run.

While Specialized keeps two... no, three systems:
  1. Full power Gen 1 (Brose): The system by Specialized
  2. Full-power Gen 2 Mastermind (Brose): The system by Specialized
  3. SL with interchangeable TCU and Mastermind TCU (Mahle, exclusive with Specialized).
No you're right, having a lot of different systems must be a headache and keeping track of warranty repairs years later could be an issue. It's bizarre for instance in having an existing relationship with Fazua that they didn't continue with the new Fazua 60 instead of a whole new motor company. Maybe the relationship went sour. Although the Trek Fuel EXe looks a great bike, I kinda wish TQ had brought out their motor available to any bike company to adapt. Like Shimano. Just because I bet some smaller companies would come up with very cool & innovative models incorporating the motor. I read on one of the EMTB forums that the Fuel EXe is a big seller so you'd expect Trek to follow it up sooner rather then later with other TQ equipped models.

Would indeed be ideal but finding a store where they have several models of those lighter weight ebikes is at least in Denmark virtually impossible. Went yesterday to the "countries biggest showroom" where they state they have 5000 bikes on display (doubt that, was more like 400) and the only lightweight ebike they had was the Vado SL. No Creo SL, no other brand in the weight category below those approx 17 kgs . And when checking availability online, the situation is not much better elsewhere in Europe, especially when looking for the newer models. Already a Vado 5.0 is rare here - most shop tend to limit their inventory to less expensive bikes for cash flow reasons. It seems to be easier though to find the "big boys" like e.g. the Vado with the stronger motor and battery (and weight).
Is this a niche, riding lighter e-bikes?
Yes, light ebikes with assist drives take maybe 10% of the market of NEW ebikes and maybe 5% of the ridden ebikes. Even less in less rich countries then Denmark, Germany, Netherlands...
Normally especially the big bike stores only sell "main stream" with heavy drives&bikes, I'm surprised you found a Vado SL there.

So, I found the manufacture date in the exact location you suggested - under the top tube. The date is 12 April 2022. Does that mean I have a 2022, or 2023 model?
I don't think it really matters nowadays. (I think it is MY 2022). Specialized didn't announce any 2023 models, and it typically means MY 2023 models would by just available in different colours. No revolution!

Yes, light ebikes with assist drives take maybe 10% of the market of NEW ebikes and maybe 5% of the ridden ebikes. Even less in less rich countries then Denmark, Germany, Netherlands...
Normally especially the big bike stores only sell "main stream" with heavy drives&bikes, I'm surprised you found a Vado SL there.
Funny to think SL e-bikes sell very well in Warsaw :) Of course, the Polish income level is far lower than the German one, and expensive e-bikes do not sell as well here as they do in Germany.

If you look at the floor of the Specialized Warsaw, you will first find the full power and SL e-MTBs. Then, there comes the Tero as well as Vado SL and Como SL. Haven't seen a Creo for a long time and I think it is the Creos that do not sell well here. A road or gravel bike with the 25 km/h speed restriction? To what effect? Why not just buy a very expensive Diverge instead?

P.S. The average speed of a gravel group ride (111 km) here was 21.8 km/h. The "slow group" rode around 25 km/h on gravel and in the forest. However, the group sped up to 32 km/h on asphalt. A Creo would have failed there if the rider such as me needed the motor assistance for the whole ride time.

P.S.2. I needed the 80/80% SL assistance to keep up with the "slow group". I rode for 147.7 km on that day and needed as many as four Range Extenders.

Last edited:
Back