Anti theft GPS

There is also LoJack (https://www.lojack.com/ ), but it's dedicated for cars, costs a fortune and even the car owner does not know where the module is located. It's not a classical GPS+GSM solution - they use their own frequency. Integrated with law enforcement. Seems to be very effective. I have no idea how big is the module and if there's any chance that it will fit any bike. As long as your bike is not worth 10K+ USD it probably doesn't make sense to even consider trying it.

I ordered the Invoxia tracker to test. It consumes less power than most trackers so battery will last longer. The battery is touted to last several months, depending on mode. I believe the European model will have longer battery life as the Sigfox network requires less power. I like that there are 2 years of subscription included (3 years with Sigfox) with no hidden fees. After that the cost is very reasonable ($40 / year in the US). It should arrive today and I'll do a review after I've had a chance to test it. Nice thing is amazon delivers quick and returns are easy if it doesn't work out. As far as I can tell it doesn't seem to be using a generic Chinese tracking portal which inspires some confidence.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0888192R6/ (US version uses AT&T network)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/product/dp/B075V8FTWH/ (European version uses Sigfox network)

I ordered the Invoxia tracker to test. It consumes less power than most trackers so battery will last longer. The battery is touted to last several months, depending on mode. I believe the European model will have longer battery life as the Sigfox network requires less power. I like that there are 2 years of subscription included (3 years with Sigfox) with no hidden fees. After that the cost is very reasonable ($40 / year in the US). It should arrive today and I'll do a review after I've had a chance to test it. Nice thing is amazon delivers quick and returns are easy if it doesn't work out. As far as I can tell it doesn't seem to be using a generic Chinese tracking portal which inspires some confidence.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0888192R6/ (US version uses AT&T network)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/product/dp/B075V8FTWH/ (European version uses Sigfox network)

4.1 x 1.1 x 0.4 inches
2.7 x 0.9 x 10.5 cm

Almost perfect, if that 2.7 cm dimension would be a little smaller... do you plan to hide it completely?
Wondering how reliable Sigfox is.
They could sell a more expensive version that allows for using customer's own SIM :rolleyes:

I've read sigfox covereage is hit or miss in Europe, hence many of the poor reviews. Coverage in the US should be much better with AT&T network. I suspect they can't use any SIM due to power consumption. It needs to be a low power consumption network (one of the primary advantages of this tracker, not needing a large battery).

Edit: unit just arrived. Love the instant gratification provided for by Amazon Prime with free next day delivery. Unit is only 1 oz (more precisely, 28 grams per my digital scale) and quite small and thin which allows for more options to hide it discreetly. It does fit inside my 31.6 mm seat tube so may be an option for my carbon fiber eMTB (according to Invoxia the seat tube needs to be carbon not aluminum if you want to hide it there). I think the last option pictured below might be the most secure assuming the internal routing holes are large enough for the unit get a GPS lock and transmit. That said I came up with a simple location to hide the unit that is easy to access for charging the battery that won't be obvious at all to a thief, but it doesn't make sense to broadcast where because if everyone does it the unit will be as easily defeated as a rear light tracker, seat post tracker, etc. ;)

1597813067900.png
1597794285433.png
1597793882023.png
1597793631718.png
1597793687269.png
1597793735592.png

After fully charging the device (1 hour), it was extremely easy to set up. Just download the Invoxia GPS app on your phone, create a login (email, password, birthdate), then move close enough to the tracker and it will automatically connect via Bluetooth and allow you to register it, then you can adjust the settings. Note: the app flashed new firmware to the tracker as soon as I registered it. Nice to know the app can update the tracker. You are not going thru some generic app or portal, which provides for a premium user experience and inspires confidence. Not sure if the generic trackers and apps provide for such updates.

Just went on my first ride and as you can see the tracker is not really set up to track your every move. If you are looking for detailed tracking this device is not for you. I wanted something to track my bike if stolen with minimum fuss and it seems like it will do the job. As you can see the device goes to sleep to conserve battery when it is not in motion. You can change the tracker to provide more frequent updates but it will affect battery life. You can also set geofencing zones, where if your bike is moved it will alert you. Proximity radar provides more precise tracking when you are in Bluetooth range of the unit (it will tell you if you are getting closer or further away as you move). Here are some screenshots of the various app screens.

1597816223406.png
1597816374804.png
1597816271763.png
1597816335858.png
1597816412138.png
1597816480771.png

Last edited:
Here's an update after 3 days of testing. The unit didn't seem to be tracking in 10-12 minute intervals while I was moving. It only seemed to be tracking when I stopped moving for an extended period, and I noticed on my last stop yesterday it didn't track my position at all, despite being in the store for almost an hour (I took the bike inside). I suspected my mounting position might not be optimal so I contacted Invoxia for advice. They replied that it's best if the invoxia label on the unit is facing up toward the sky. I tried that today and had much better luck with it tracking in 10-12 minute intervals while on the move, although it did seem to miss a couple of spots, but at least it tracked my last stop inside the store that it did not track last night. After 3 days of riding it looks like my battery is ~80%. I estimate I will get closer to 9 days in standard mode than 3 weeks, but given that I charge my bike battery every 2-3 days it's not that big of a deal to charge the Invoxia once a week or so.

1597993403058.png

Huh, I would have thought the Invoxia being 3G and built specifically for their needs why they didnt put 'real time tracking'....

My cheap 2g GPS tracker, when it detects movement, tracks about every minute location wise and records it.

It tracks what direction it is going, how fast, and where it exactly is every minute when it is moving and then even when it stops and for how long.
IMG_2068.PNG

Last edited:
Yes, I suspect it has to do with battery life. But I agree, they should at least show direction and speed. It is disappointing in this regard. I also would like the option to increase the tracking frequency to every minute when connected via USB power. This makes sense if you could secure the tracker in the downtube near by the internal routing holes and route USB (directly from to the ebike battery or display). It would revert to lower frequency tracking when disconnected from USB. I doubt invoxia would accommodate this however as I think another reason they limit the tracking frequency is to reduce the data cost.

I am considering testing another GPS unit. Specifically this one assuming it can be hidden inside a seat tube or near the top of the frame.

It only has 1 hour of standby battery but seems you might be able to wire directly into a 36-52v ebike battery to have continuous power per this Q&A.

Edit: looks like this unit only supports up to 3G which is being phased out so not sure it makes sense longer term. Having a hard time finding 4G units that allow you to use your own SIM. The ones that require you to use their cellular plans start at $10 / month, but most are $20+ / month which is pretty ridiculous considering you can get Speed Talk for $5 / month.

Last edited:
Yeah they keey saying they are phasing out 2G and 3G, but I find it unlikely it will happen any time soon as many devices still depend upon these.

But yes indeed if we are all forced to go on 4G for tracking purposes it looks like it will be a massive uptick in price.

Well, from an anti-theft perspective it's not a matter of whether we are forced to, it's a matter of whether a thief takes your bike to a location without 2G or 3G. 4G devices aren't significantly more expensive, looks to be only ~$20 more wholesale. Here is one that allows you to use your own SIM:

In my research it seems all of these trackers need to have an unobstructed view of the sky to perform well. Hiding in a seat tube or metal frame will not work well. I am not sure how the swisstrack performs reliably in a seat tube.

20 dollars a month is top dollar compared to 5. You can get velosurance (insurance on your bike) for lost/damage/stolen for an average of 100 a year (8 dollars a month).

Yeah I have posted before that I dont think any of these hidden in the frame trackers do their job well because of the fact that they are all cellular data transmitters and need an signal to connect, putting all that in a metal frame that usually blocks electronic signals is not a good place to start.

Just an update on the Invoxia after 1 week. Tonight the app gave me a low battery warning. It would seem Invoxia's claim of 9 days to 3 weeks battery life in standard mode is very optimistic, although perhaps there is another day or 2 of battery left if I let it drain to 0%. Of course doesn't make sense to not have any margin if your goal is be able to track down your bike if it gets stolen. I went back and estimated the number of hours I was on the move during the last week (I did not include time stopped since the unit stops tracking when not on the move):

Day 1: 1 hour
Day 2: 2 hours
Day 3: 2 hours
Day 4: 0
Day 5: 0
Day 6: 2 hours
Day 7: 1 hour

Total: 8 hours of tracking (10 minute intervals). I would think a typical user might be on the move for more than 8 hours a week. That said it has been reliably tracking my bike at every stop, so it does give me confidence that I'd be able to track down my bike if stolen.

Also, I heard back from Invoxia in terms of whether they might provide an option for 1 minute updates with USB power connected. As expected they politely declined:

The goal of our product is not to offer a real time monitoring tracking with the precision and frequency of a smartphone but rather find your good thanks to a big autonomy battery life from 4 days to 7 weeks according to its use.

Last edited:
Decided to test invoxia battery life with high frequency of updates (every 5-7 minutes) as it gives my wife more peace of mind to have more frequent updates when I'm running late and it's getting dark. It lasted 3 days before I got a low battery alert so again the claimed 4-14 days battery is quite optimistic. I suppose it might last 4 days if they are counting running until dead. Realistically though you'll need to charge sooner if the goal is to have a margin to track if stolen.

I ended up ordering the latest generation 4G tracker from China to compare to. Cost was $65 on Amazon plus $30 expedited shipped. I was skeptical that it would get here as fast as Amazon estimated but it actually arrived a couple days sooner (5 calendar days from order). I'm still waiting for my $5 a month SIM card from speed talk which should arrive later today. In the meantime I tested wiring it directly to my e-bike battery and sure enough it works. I also tested it with a 9-volt battery which also works (eelink indicates 9-72v) so there's a lot of flexibility in terms of battery voltage. The size is slightly bigger than my invoxia tracker. It won't fit in the seat tube but honestly I think that's a poor location for tracking.

IMG_20200902_122433.jpg

In the US at least, I don't think the police will go hunt your bike down based off one of these gps trackers. The technology is not proven to the point that the cops will go get a search warrant to investigate the potential criminal's house.

Likewise, say you track your bike down after it is stolen. How do you realistically plan to get it back?
Knock on the door of Mr. Criminal, who is possibly armed and dangerous - "hi sir, give me back my bike?"

I just don't see the point of these gps trackers

If the police refused to do anything I would raise heck until they did something. But yeah, I've had the pleasure of dealing with law enforcement in the past (financial crime) and they basically gave it low priority. Other than reporting the crime I had no say in the matter. Presumption was I would be reimbursed for the theft, so I was essentially an observer in the process, not the victim.

I ended up ordering the latest generation 4G tracker from China to compare to. Cost was $65 on Amazon plus $30 expedited shipped. I was skeptical that it would get here as fast as Amazon estimated but it actually arrived a couple days sooner (5 calendar days from order). I'm still waiting for my $5 a month SIM card from speed talk which should arrive later today. In the meantime I tested wiring it directly to my e-bike battery and sure enough it works. I also tested it with a 9-volt battery which also works (eelink indicates 9-72v) so there's a lot of flexibility in terms of battery voltage. The size is slightly bigger than my invoxia tracker. It won't fit in the seat tube but honestly I think that's a poor location for tracking.

This is very cool.
Does it work like the Invoxia ?
Could you place it inside the seat tube or downtube and would it still work?

None of the GPS manufacturers recommend covering the unit with metal. Invoxia says you can put it inside a carbon frame, so that will be an option for my Luna X1.

As far putting it in the seat tube, the Invoxia will fit. The eelink TK419 does not. I am skeptical either unit would get a good GPS fix shielded by a metal seat tube. It may transmit cellular data fine, but GPS would be challenged as the orientation of the unit would be wrong (both units indicate they should to be placed flat with specific side facing up). The only unit I've seen that claims to work in a seat tube is the Swisstrack. I am skeptical as it appears to be nothing more than a cheap 3G Chinese tracker sold at a premium. They claim it can be upgraded to 4G via firmware. Huge red flags with claims like that. There are a few "reviews" in the Swisstrack thread here on EBR claiming it does work, all from members whose only contributions to EBR are limited to that speicfic thread and some who have profiles indicating US locations yet they have posted pictures in Europe and/or cannot even spell their own US State properly. I believe they may be shills for the product.

As far as down tube, this might work better, but needs an unshielded view of the sky. I plan to try in the neck of the downtube in the vicinity of the internal routing holes. I think this has a better chance than in the seat tube. If swisstrack actually works in the seat tube, then I think this might work better, with a significant benefit due to the ability to secure the TK419 unit inside the frame locked with the battery providing juice.

BTW, in terms of GPS tracker data plans, I've found a few interesting options. As far as I can tell the GPS units use less than 100 MB a month, so a cheap data only plan should work.

1) Olivia wireless. 1 year of data (worldwide) for $39:

2) Re-purpose 1 year SIM from tracfone. Can get tracfone + 1 year of data for $40. Could use the phone as a throwaway / alternate display for the bike. I have also seen tracfone offer SIM only as low as $30 / year on ebay.

3) Swisstrack sells a 1 year worldwide SIM for $35 (again I have some reservations about the reputability of this company, caveat emptor):

4) US mobile (cheapest plan is $42 / year - includes hidden $2 / month "service fee"):

5) Speed talk (cheapest plan is $60 / year):

6) Freedompop offers a SIM with 200MB / month free. Many hoops to jump thru, but it is possible to get "free" based on past experience. I ordered a SIM to test for science but so far hasn't shipped. You can also purchase an annual prepaid SIM for ~$40 / year:

Last edited:
Back