Another Washington State Survey--Ebikes On Trails

Cowlitz

Here's a link to a survey being done by the Washington State DNR on trail use by Ebikes. The link is to a hiking site where you will find the survey link because I couldn't get the survey directly linked due to having taken the survey. Guess they are still taking input on what to do about trails and ebikes. Hope I haven't confused you.

https://www.wta.org/news/signpost/share-your-thoughts-on-e-bikes-on-trails

Thanks for the tip. I ride in WA state infrequently but took the survey to help the eBike cause up there.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. I gave my $.02.

EDIT; In favor of ignoring the ebike class system. That’s my opinion, and I’m sticking with it!

Last edited:
Done.

In favor of Class I Ebikes being allowed on trails on a case-by-case basis.

Thanks. I think we need all the help we can get.
I do too, that is why I passed on the link via a group mail to stir up some more interest!

I doubt that the feedback from WMBC and EMBA chapters are going to be all that on board and then you have the hikers and horseback crowd to contend with anywhere you go in the U.S.. Maybe it's time, maybe it's not but it just makes sense that some sort of access that is refused now will become available in the future.

Speaking of horses I was on a ride SW WA a few years ago with an eBike buddy and we had to deal with a nice couple of gals on horses that we first saw on our way to the trail head. Had a bike issue and they came up on us and then we got going again and came up on them. My friend just wanted to keep riding but I said wait and rang my bell a few times. About 3 minutes later the gals spoke out to come ahead and we proceeded past them at a slow pace. It happened once more and we repeated the same procedure. He had no idea on how to deal with horses on the trails and I doubt it was his first encounter. But I rode in CO. for years and had many encounters and that is the method I always found to work every time and resulted in good will all around.

I do too, that is why I passed on the link via a group mail to stir up some more interest!

I doubt that the feedback from WMBC and EMBA chapters are going to be all that on board and then you have the hikers and horseback crowd to contend with anywhere you go in the U.S.. Maybe it's time, maybe it's not but it just makes sense that some sort of access that is refused now will become available in the future.

Speaking of horses I was on a ride SW WA a few years ago with an eBike buddy and we had to deal with a nice couple of gals on horses that we first saw on our way to the trail head. Had a bike issue and they came up on us and then we got going again and came up on them. My friend just wanted to keep riding but I said wait and rang my bell a few times. About 3 minutes later the gals spoke out to come ahead and we proceeded past them at a slow pace. It happened once more and we repeated the same procedure. He had no idea on how to deal with horses on the trails and I doubt it was his first encounter. But I rode in CO. for years and had many encounters and that is the method I always found to work every time and resulted in good will all around.

My daughter is a career horse trainer, so I agree wholeheartedly. 👍 Approaching without warning puts all involved at serious risk.

Reactions: JRA
Here's a link to a survey being done by the Washington State DNR on trail use by Ebikes. The link is to a hiking site where you will find the survey link because I couldn't get the survey directly linked due to having taken the survey. Guess they are still taking input on what to do about trails and ebikes. Hope I haven't confused you.

https://www.wta.org/news/signpost/share-your-thoughts-on-e-bikes-on-trails
Also gave my 2 cents in favour of ebikes. I've always thought that if you ban ebikes then you should also ban any bikes that have more than one gear. Both are just a mechanical option to make biking easier and more pleasant.

FYI Gifford Pinchot National forest:

e-Bikes for motorized trail use

E-bikes (electric assisted bikes): E-bikes have motors and are only allowed on motorized trails and roads.

FYI Gifford Pinchot National forest:

e-Bikes for motorized trail use

E-bikes (electric assisted bikes): E-bikes have motors and are only allowed on motorized trails and roads.
That is National Forest and should not be on here. We are talking about Washington State Department of Natural Resources, not National Forests. Please don't confuse people. In fact, you might want to remove your post.

That is National Forest and should not be on here. We are talking about Washington State Department of Natural Resources, not National Forests. Please don't confuse people. In fact, you might want to remove your post.
relax, just a post about trail riding restrictions on Washington which is pertinent in the big picture. Is this your private forum?

Reflected only Class 1 on trails that allow bikes and no special privileges for ADA tag.

relax, just a post about trail riding restrictions on Washington which is pertinent in the big picture. Is this your private forum?
It has nothing to do with this thread. Once again, this is about a STATE survey. You are causing confusion by listing a FEDERAL agency. That can confuse the issue. I suggest you start your own thread about "the big picture".

The GPNF is the Forest Service, which is a sub agency of the USDA. It is federal and has nothing to do with a STATE survey.

It has nothing to do with this thread. Once again, this is about a STATE survey. You are causing confusion by listing a FEDERAL agency. That can confuse the issue. I suggest you start your own thread about "the big picture".

The GPNF is the Forest Service, which is a sub agency of the USDA. It is federal and has nothing to do with a STATE survey.
I'm afraid it might have been a reference to the pic I had posted from an Ape Canyon trail ride that was in fact in the GPNF. I removed it to avoid further confusion.

Not wanting to (re)start an (old) argument, but why would a Class 3 be worse on trails than a Class 1?

It seems to me that torque might be an issue, in that high torque could possibly tear up the trails, but torque isn’t limited by bike class as far as I know. If speed is the issue, does anyone really think a Class 3 is going to go faster than a Class 1 while off-road? Heck, my Class 3 can coast downhill faster than I can pedal, so I’m sure a Class 1 can as well…or for that matter, an analog bike. Personally though, I can’t imagine going that fast on a trail….it scares me on the road if I think about it! 😊

My position is that bike and ebike class should not matter. There should be a safe speed limit on trails that apply to all bikes, e and otherwise. I guess that is too simple and straight forward for regulators and the bike industry...making things needlessly complicated and difficult to enforce.

Not wanting to (re)start an (old) argument, but why would a Class 3 be worse on trails than a Class 1?

It seems to me that torque might be an issue, in that high torque could possibly tear up the trails, but torque isn’t limited by bike class as far as I know. If speed is the issue, does anyone really think a Class 3 is going to go faster than a Class 1 while off-road? Heck, my Class 3 can coast downhill faster than I can pedal, so I’m sure a Class 1 can as well…or for that matter, an analog bike. Personally though, I can’t imagine going that fast on a trail….it scares me on the road if I think about it! 😊
It's just an attempt to limit power (despite class rules allowing the same power for all) since most class 1 eMTB are going to be euro spec and higher powered eMTB are going to be class 2 or 3 (or hybrid). But you're right, you can't make a sensible case to allow class 1 but exclude class 3, well, at least not without saying the quiet part out loud.

Last edited:
Back