Another Bike Rack Question

ymarty

Yeah, looked through as many of the bike rack carrier posts that I could find but not really finding an answer and hope the group can enlighten this EBike newbie. I just bought my first Ebike, which is to arrive any day. I work from home and travel from time to time and recently became an empty nester. I have come to the realization I need a social life and hope to join one or two local Portland Oregon bike clubs but have an issue. How to get my new bike to various destinations? I purchased an EProdigy Magic and without the battery, weight is 50lbs. I totally blew my budget and my kids future inheritance on this bike and all the bike racks I have seen for ebikes are so expensive. Plus, I have to have my 2006 Honda Civic coupe fitted with a tow bar. The cost for the two, as much as 900.

My questions to the group, I have seen regular bike racks that say max weight for 2 bikes 90lbs. I would only be using the rack for 1 bike. Could a bike that weighs 50lbs work on a dual rack with a max rate of 90lbs?

Is there a rack available that would be acceptable to a bike that is a step thru that also has fenders

Thanks Everyone!

It would be a question to ask the manufacturer of the specific rack you are looking at. That said, my guess is the answer will be "No, not recommended" because the welds on the various pieces are made for a 45# bike. You might be able to get your bike down to less than 45# by removing the battery, seat and post, front wheel.

I think the larger problem is that trunk racks are for bicycles that have a top tube, which your step-thru does not have. There are top tube adapters, but they are not designed for the weight of an e-bike.

I see a lot of small compact cars like VW GTI or Mazda3 with the 1up bike racks for 1.25" hitches for $300. The 1up rack for one bike is so small and folks seem to leave it on 24/7.

I never really like hanging rack because the bikes are not held as securely compared to platform racks. Saris also make a 2-bike hitch platform rack that can handle 60 lbs each for $280. I've seen the same rack for $10-$80 cheaper on eBay.

I've seen some folks just use a motorcycle platform rack for their ebikes. Those rack start at $100, weigh in starting at 50 lbs (100lbs total weight with ebike), and some come with a ramp if dead lifting the ebike is an issue. You would just need to purchase tie down straps and a 1.25' adapter if the rack is 2".

If you blew your budget and the kids inheritance on your bike, I'm going with you really shouldn't risk that investment on a rack not specifically, emphatically designed to address that single-bike weight...
I wrote to several rack companies earlier with that same "can I put my 50 pounder on your 2-bike rack max 90" question and continually heard "No." I too will have to have a tow bar installed on my Prius in order to use a hitch-mounted rack... haven't taken that financial plunge yet, but haven't had compelling "drive to starting point A" bike plans so far, either...

When i started the whole bike thing, I figured a couple of hundred for a regular old bike but 6 months and $2229.65 later, I now have an Ebike arriving tomorrow. This money came from my new car savings account and for me, its a big investment and I really want to get the most out of it. Last night I saw on craigslist an out of the box thule T1 for 285 and went to take a look at it. I was told that it would not work because of the fenders and that the only rack available was the Thule Easyfold at 750.00 plus another 150 for a hitch. I started thinking that I may, with the help of a welder, might be able to make something like a bike trailer. I saw some small old 2 wheel trailers on craigslist for 50.00. A small cart/bike carrier might be a good option and cheap. I just have to think it through.

Thank you HarrS. This is the best option I have seen so far and appears would work for my step through bike with fenders. Total weight with battery is 58lbs. I was able to find this hitch through SportFactory for 219.00 + 140.00 hitch install from UHaul. 359.00 is a far better price

Last edited:
I do I do I do. Thank you everyone. I was really getting discouraged. Its hard enough to be criticized and rejected by some of the local bike clubs because I dont have a "real" bike. Then to see the major expenses associated with an Ebike, I started thinking that I made a mistake.

Yeah! Well, we e-bikers know stuff and help each other :D. You didn't make a mistake!

My totem pole bike rack arrived today. In a v-e-r-y little box. Photo shows the box, with my hand for scale. I will try it out soon!
Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 1.28.20 PM.png

AAAARGH! Update. That teeny tiny box just contained the 6" extension!
Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 3.31.54 PM.png

I opened my front door, and found a MUCH larger box, so heavy it was hard for me to drag into the house!Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 3.32.01 PM.png

I'm feeling much better, believe me!

Last edited:
Thank you HarrS. This is the best option I have seen so far and appears would work for my step through bike with fenders. Total weight with battery is 58lbs. I was able to find this hitch through SportFactory for 219.00 + 140.00 hitch install from UHaul. 359.00 is a far better price

It looks like you found an acceptable solution so my post may be moot.

In my travels around parks and bike trail parking lots, I've seen several people who use this inexpensive $39 cargo platform and just tie their bikes to it. The product has a 500 pound capacity so it is also useful for carrying other cargo. A 2" receiver is required though.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/t...x_gjhS6jYtkoIeDEBGb1EarwhI64sSuxoCT8wQAvD_BwE

I looked at the the cargo platform originally with the thoughts of modifying it to accommodate an ebike. Unfortunately, this cargo carrier will not fit my 1 1/4" rec hitch, For the price, I wanted to buy it for other things but this company doesnt have any cargo carriers for my size. I found a similar item through amazon, which I will purchase as soon as I am done buying for the bike but the cost of modifying, such as welding stabilizing bar(s) made the cost more than than the 219.00 I paid for a rack. Also, I will be purchasing the carrier as it will be very handy for snowboarding and skiing this winter.

I live for Amazon and found a similar one that is on my wish list. It will be perfect for winter sports and some light hauling. I have a little 2 dr honda civic coupe. I used my car down payment savings for my new bike. I think this is a great solution for my other outdoor activities. Thank you so much for leading me in this direction

Did folks just stack their bikes on that and tie them on?? Just curious!

Today we had our first outing with the Upright Designs "Totem Pole" bike rack. My husband liked loading it better than the Hollywood rack, and liked that the load is carried closer to the body of the car.

We carried three Pedego bikes today on the rack. Here's a photo with two of the bikes loaded.
Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 9.00.59 PM.png

That is so neat. I wish my car was higher. I got my Freedom 2 rack this week and my car is scheduled to have a hitch added next week. Now the last thing on my list, a good suspension seatpost. I also ordered a cargo rack, thank you ebikemom! My son is thrilled to have it to take his snowboarding gear up to the mountains this winter.

Back