Another Bike Rack Question

It is neat! It has an extension, which we have to use to make it work on our highlander, because the highlander isn't very "high"!

I never knew about cargo racks, but learned about it from 6zfshdb in this thread. What a great way to expand the cargo capacity of a car.

Let us know how you like the Freedom 2 rack!

When you mentioned the cargo rack, I really liked the idea but wasnt sure how to secure the bike upright without welding bars. I would love to see what others have done with the cargo racks for their ebikes.

Me, too--it was 6zfshdb who mentioned them, not me. Great price point. I guess it'd be possible to carry a bike or two by laying them flat on the cargo rack... hmmm...

I will mention one thing in case anyone is interested in the Saris Freedom 2 rack. I paid 219.00 online as an open box special and when the box arrived, I was taken back by label, In the picture there is a sticker that says "Carries Bikes up to 60lb" but than if you look at the bullet area, it says "Carries 2 bikes up to 35lbs each. I called Saris to question this and sent them the photo I took. Saris responded to me in writing to say that these racks are warranted for 2 bikes up to 60lbs each.

1534056501817.png

Did folks just stack their bikes on that and tie them on?? Just curious!

From what I saw, they were tied in an upright position using rope from the outside of the rack to the bikes and then to the vehicle bumper. One I looked at had strips of wood fastened to the floor of the carrier to hold the tires in place.

Today we had our first outing with the Upright Designs "Totem Pole" bike rack. My husband liked loading it better than the Hollywood rack, and liked that the load is carried closer to the body of the car.

We carried three Pedego bikes today on the rack. Here's a photo with two of the bikes loaded.
View attachment 24531

That is a very interesting rack. I like the way the load is distributed over the tradition rack. Nice choice.

It looks like you found an acceptable solution so my post may be moot.

In my travels around parks and bike trail parking lots, I've seen several people who use this inexpensive $39 cargo platform and just tie their bikes to it. The product has a 500 pound capacity so it is also useful for carrying other cargo. A 2" receiver is required though.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200623836_200623836?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Automotive > Cargo Carriers + Ladder Racks > Receiver Hitch Cargo Carriers&utm_campaign=Ironton&utm_content=40297&gclid=CjwKCAjwqarbBRBtEiwArlfEICI2gE5kBp8KSmTFY_w6r_x_gjhS6jYtkoIeDEBGb1EarwhI64sSuxoCT8wQAvD_BwE

EDIT:

This inexpensive cargo platform can be easily modified to make it more suitable for carrying e-bikes. Cut a piece of 3/4" plywood the same size as the the mesh floor. Then bolt a 1" pipe flange to the center of the plywood:

ldr-industries-flanges-310-f-114-64_1000.jpg

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-in-Black-Malleable-Iron-Threaded-Floor-Flange-521-605HN/100179931

Screw a 36" long piece of 1" pipe, threaded on one end, into the flange.

vpc-black-pipe-21-701036-64_1000.jpg
https://www.homedepot.com/p/VPC-1-in-x-36-in-Black-Steel-Schedule-40-Cut-Pipe-21-701036/304751766

Place a 36" long piece of foam pipe insulation over the pipe:
everbilt-pipe-insulation-orp11812-64_1000.jpg
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-in-x-6-ft-Foam-Pipe-Insulation-ORP11812/204760805

Now you have a sturdy, padded vertical tie point. Bungee or tie with a rope to secure the bikes. The pipe is easily unscrewed to make it easier to load the bikes or to carry other cargo. As a safety measure, screw wooden cleats to the plywood floor on either side of the bike tires to keep them in place.

For around $65, plus the cost of the plywood, and an hours work, you have a rack capable of carrying two e-bikes which easily converts back to a 500 pound cargo platform.

I bought my ebike Sunday at a store 40 minutes away. Mounted it on my trusty $50
SARIS SOLO, and drove slowly home with my blinkers on. The SOLO is plastic
and only rated for 35 lbs, but the ebike is over 50. (Yet I made it:) Now I'm looking for a new
single carrier so I can drive to nice bike trails. Anyone try the $69 Tyger (rated 55)?

bike rack.jpg

Whether it's to get the bike home from the dealer or to open up your biking world beyond what you can reach from your house, there are many times that riders want to put the bike on their car. So they turn to us with the question: "Which car rack is best for eBikes?"
Here I have listed some commonly used bike racks.
  • Thule T2 Pro XTR 2 Hitch Bike Rack
  • Kuat NV 2.0 Hitch Bike Rack
  • Yakima HoldUp EVO Hitch Bike Rack
  • Hollywood Racks Sport Rider for Electric Bikes
  • Capstone Elite 2. 0 Hitch Mount Carrier
  • Vibrelli V70 Sport Bike Hitch Rack
Hope you will find the best solution for your bike rack. Also, you can read some reviews about it on Google before making a final buying decission.

Last edited:
Today we had our first outing with the Upright Designs "Totem Pole" bike rack. My husband liked loading it better than the Hollywood rack, and liked that the load is carried closer to the body of the car.

We carried three Pedego bikes today on the rack. Here's a photo with two of the bikes loaded.
View attachment 24531
Interesting...

What's the clearance height on the back of an SUV? From the looks of it, I'd be concerned about being able to get in an out of the underground garage in our condo building.

The latest one I've been looking at is the Thule EasyFold XT 2. Anyone have any experience with this? I had to sell the 1UP rack as I couldn't get it to work with the welded cargo carrier on the back. The Thule looks promising as it can clamp onto the seat stand.

I initially purchased the Thule Easyfold XT 2 for my cruiser ebike. The wheel holders were not wide enough to hold the bike. The bike’s wheelbase is 51 inches and was too long for the Thule rack. Lost money on that one as I sold it at a loss. Bought the newer 2021 Hollywood Sport Rider (HR1500) ebike rack for two ebikes and it works perfect. Rated for 160lbs. (80lbs. for each ebike). I have a 2nd Cruiser on the way. Use it on my full size truck as well as my smaller crossover. Happy Camper. Problem now is that they are sold out just about everywhere.

Last edited:
I initially purchased the Thule Easyfold XT 2 for my cruiser ebike. The wheel holders were not wide enough to hold the bike. The bike’s wheelbase is 51 inches and was too long for the Thule rack. Lost money on that one as I sold it at a loss. Bought the newer 2021 Hollywood Sport Rider (HR1500) ebike rack for two ebikes and it works perfect. Rated for 160lbs. (80lbs. for each ebike). I have a 2nd Cruiser on the way. Use it on my full size truck as well as my smaller crossover. Happy Camper. Problem now is that they are sold out just about everywhere.
Yep, I bought two ebikes for us in June and have struggled ever since to find a good rack. Lost a little on the 1UP rack as I gave the guy the kits. It wasn't worth the hassle of trying to return them.

It's not the end of the world as we live in Santa Monica and the beach bike path is always an option. It just bugs me that we can't slap the bikes on the back of the Crosstrek and go up to Big Bear or the wine country.

Back