Announced: Yamaha Civante - 28mph

We are thinking of bringing these in! Been a Yamaha dealer since they released in the US market. We've got a Wabash on the floor and wonder if I can convert it to the class 3 motor!

Yamaha offers two lines in Japan , PAS and YPJ .
PAS is all step-thru / low step except for one model .
YPJ is all diamond frame .

lineup_pict_mina_image.jpg

index_mainslide1.jpg

We are thinking of bringing these in! Been a Yamaha dealer since they released in the US market. We've got a Wabash on the floor and wonder if I can convert it to the class 3 motor!

Do you know are the PW-SE Motors the same and its just firmware/software that's separating the class 1 and class 3?

Do you know are the PW-SE Motors the same and its just firmware/software that's separating the class 1 and class 3?

That looks to be the case, they've had a class 3 motor in the Wabash/Cross Core frame for a while. Haven't heard officially though.

**warning** noob chiming in!

FYI Yamaha, at least in Japan, offers two diamond frame models under the PAS category. The Brace and Vienta.
I would know as I live in Japan and own two Braces. 🙂

Both these bikes have the normal PW series motor and the Brace has Yamaha's largish looking magnet speed sensor disk mounted on the standard Shimano 8 speed IGH.

From what I saw at the dealership, it looks like all the YPJ category bikes have a smaller speed sensor disk mounted to the rear hub\disc brake. I don't believe any current Yamaha brand ebike uses a spoke magnet style speed sensor. Even the cheaper step through stuff uses a tiny front hub mounted disk.

It looks like the Civante is a currently offered bike but just less 'restricted'. And as someone asked, since the new PW-X motor has a different bolt pattern, that might be one reason it's not on the Civante. BTW their MTB with PW-X rode way different from the standard PW stuff. It was more torquey and kinda surged with every stroke. It was cool but the huge tires felt like they created a lot of resistance. Or maybe don't listen to anything I say as I'm a total noob. Haha

BTW, there are some people selling modified versions of the hub sensors in Japan but I guess I should just start a new thread for that. But yeah as others have mentioned, perhaps this will open the doors for a legit way to unlock some power for those stuck with the hub mounted speed sensor!

Anyways, this is my first post so... Hi! XD

**warning** noob chiming in!

FYI Yamaha, at least in Japan, offers two diamond frame models under the PAS category. The Brace and Vienta.
I would know as I live in Japan and own two Braces. 🙂

Both these bikes have the normal PW series motor and the Brace has Yamaha's largish looking magnet speed sensor disk mounted on the standard Shimano 8 speed IGH.

From what I saw at the dealership, it looks like all the YPJ category bikes have a smaller speed sensor disk mounted to the rear hub\disc brake. I don't believe any current Yamaha brand ebike uses a spoke magnet style speed sensor. Even the cheaper step through stuff uses a tiny front hub mounted disk.

It looks like the Civante is a currently offered bike but just less 'restricted'. And as someone asked, since the new PW-X motor has a different bolt pattern, that might be one reason it's not on the Civante. BTW their MTB with PW-X rode way different from the standard PW stuff. It was more torquey and kinda surged with every stroke. It was cool but the huge tires felt like they created a lot of resistance. Or maybe don't listen to anything I say as I'm a total noob. Haha

BTW, there are some people selling modified versions of the hub sensors in Japan but I guess I should just start a new thread for that. But yeah as others have mentioned, perhaps this will open the doors for a legit way to unlock some power for those stuck with the hub mounted speed sensor!

Anyways, this is my first post so... Hi! XD
Thanks for this info .
I consider the Vienta5 a "low-step" rather than a diamond frame .

I was negatively talking about the Civante. My bad. The bike is technically interesting, although only the U.S. and Switzerland can enjoy the 28 mph/45 kph e-road-bikes.

I simply hate e-bikes with the battery "hump" because it looks like a converted pedal bike :) Creo looks far better.

Reactions: TMH
I simply hate e-bikes with the battery "hump" because it looks like a converted pedal bike :) Creo looks far better.
Yes, I'll go along with you that the Creo looks better.

But I am by no means put off by battery humps on e-bikes. I will grant you that some manufacturers integrate the big batteries better into the downtube than others. But if the battery 'hump' makes me have to hump less while riding, I'll take that battery hump all day long! Function over form always wins for me. Plus many of the hump style batteries are more interchangeable with other e-bikes with the same motor system manufacturer.

But then again, what do I know? I shoot a Sony A7RIII and not a Pentax... ;)

Yamaha does seem to be behind the times when it comes to battery/frame integration. I like the Civante for what it offers at a good price point, but the Creo is a much better looking e-road bike.

That looks to be the case, they've had a class 3 motor in the Wabash/Cross Core frame for a while. Haven't heard officially though.

you might know:

Is this why I've only seen reports of the Speedbox tuner working on the Wabash and Crosscore?

thanks!

I was negatively talking about the Civante. My bad. The bike is technically interesting, although only the U.S. and Switzerland can enjoy the 28 mph/45 kph e-road-bikes.

With all the recently posted mounting issues with some internal batteries (Specialized & Trek for example), I’ll gladly stick with my ”hump” for now! 😜
Plus they are generally easier to remove and install and have a form factor that is easier to transport when used as a spare.

Last edited:
With all the recently posted mounting issues with some internal batteries (Specialized
Funny I experience no problems with the Vado and two batteries...

Plus many of the hump style batteries are more interchangeable with other e-bikes with the same motor system manufacturer.
Although it is to some extent true with Bosch (although even their batteries are not interchangeable, that is the "hump" one and the PowerTube), it is not quite right what you are saying. PW-X2 and SyncDrive Pro are both from Yamaha, while Yamaha and Giant batteries are not interchangeable.

But then again, what do I know? I shoot a Sony A7RIII and not a Pentax... ;)
It is not the camera that takes pictures :)

I also kind of dislike the 'hump" but it comes with a 5000$ discount... The Domane is 7k and Creo 9k.
This one, the Civante has s double crankset, 52T ring, and probably better quality then either of those 2.

One positive thing about the battery is that I think you can expect Yamaha to produce the battery for years of not a decade.

Yamaha uses the same battery across different models and they keep models the same for a long time. Some might say that's bad but in my opinion as a car-less commuter who wants to keep my bike for a long time, I'd rather have new and used parts readily available over the cutting edge tech or design.

But that's why I have two Yamahas. One for commute, and the other is backup/modding. :)

One positive thing about the battery is that I think you can expect Yamaha to produce the battery for years of not a decade.

Yamaha uses the same battery across different models and they keep models the same for a long time.
Some might say that's bad but in my opinion, as a car-less commuter who wants to keep my bike for a long time, I'd rather have new and used parts readily available over the cutting edge tech or design.

But that's why I have two Yamahas. One for commute and the other is backup/modding. :)

Agreed... Yamaha is in this market for the long run.

I have 2 bikes with Yamaha drive systems and the batteries are interchangeable.
The aftermarket has also started producing a high capacity battery... 745Wh 😉

1595097427788.png

Agreed... Yamaha is in this market for the long run.

I have 2 bikes with Yamaha drive systems and the batteries are interchangeable.
The aftermarket has also started producing a high capacity battery... 745Wh 😉

View attachment 59361

Agreed, I suspect Yamaha is making their first North American class 3 bike future proof to a degree. Granted we can't get those batteries in the states, still, Yamaha can release a long range battery of sorts and it can apply to their entire range.

Agreed, I suspect Yamaha is making their first North American class 3 bike future proof to a degree.
Granted we can't get those batteries in the states, still, Yamaha can release a long range battery of sorts and it can apply to their entire range.

Exactly... that is the reason that I prefer the flexible design and capacity with external batteries. 😉

So at the higher end competing for the biggest sales we have now Yamaha vs Trek vs Specialized vs Giant ? I can write Stromer also but you all , already know my opinion of them...

Too bad BH left. That would have made the prices become cheaper.

Back