Announced: Yamaha Civante - 28mph

A good carbon/aluminum frame price comparison is the Specialized Creo. In Canada the carbon frame is about $2000 more, but for that you also get a few more upgraded goodies. I would guess it would be at least a grand more.
With the amount of power this motor puts out I wouldn't be that concerned about the weight. I'd like the bike to have a carbon frame, but I wouldn't want to pay $1000 more.

I wish Yamaha would offer their ebikes for sale in Canada.

Another road ebike that would fit into this class is the Cannondale Synapse Neo 1 https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bikes/electric/e-road/synapse-neo/synapse-neo-1?sku=c67100m10sm

Actually the Neo 1 (which I like) is class 1.

But - my question is why would Yamaha not put their PW-X2-45 motor on this bike as opposed to the older PW-SE? At 1# less in weight plus an extra level of assist. Anyone know - Yamaha dealers?

Last edited:
View attachment 58255
Certainly, the new Yamaha e-bike will be equipped with a throttle. Not for the European customers for sure :cool:

P.S. I don't know what's so fascinating about the new Yamaha e-bike. It's gonna be heavy, with the powerful motor and a large battery. A road bike is expected to be lightweight. That's why the Creo SL was created.
43 lbs is heavy ? A customer of mine tried the creo, and said it felt like zero assist. Total waste of money and time. Yamaha has a REAL motor. He placed a deposit today the minute he found out.

How much weight would the Civante loose if it was carbon fiber frame and fork ?
And what do you think the price would be ?
Zero reason to do that, and the price would never be justifiable.

View attachment 58255
Certainly, the new Yamaha e-bike will be equipped with a throttle. Not for the European customers for sure :cool:

P.S. I don't know what's so fascinating about the new Yamaha e-bike. It's gonna be heavy, with the powerful motor and a large battery. A road bike is expected to be lightweight. That's why the Creo SL was created.

I think it's the price for what you get. Trek and Specialized have been going in the opposite direction, but this is a step down and more towards the mass market who could stomach the price. $8k e-bikes won't help develop the space beyond a sport for the affluent.

Yamaha should easily sell every Civante they build.
Up to now, many Yamaha ebike buyers already own other Yamaha power sports products , and truly get their reputation for durability and reliability. Many ebike newbies aren't yet recognizing that value, hence the propensity for buyers to buy 'cheap' and frequently on line. Longer term they'll learn the hard way, the mistake they made in spending so little for an unknown and highly unproven brand. The Yamaha craftsmanship is unparalleled right now, especially for ebikes priced under $4000. It's still an early adopter market here in the US, and the barriers to entry for 'white label' (slap a logo on a Chinese knock off, and import a 'container load') and you are in the 'business' of pretending to be an Ebike OEM. Very much 'buyer beware' and even 'dealer beware.' Yamaha as a $13 billion company dwarfs any bike or ebike OEM, so they will be here for the very long run. Even Giant who makes 60% of the world's bike frames, is only a $1.3 billion company. Yamahas back end systems for dealers are light years ahead of everyone else's. Most ebike brands don't even have a 'back end' system, let alone part SKU's.

Last edited by a moderator:

This looks like a nice bike at a great price point.

However, my advice to Yamaha if they hope to see continued growth in the North American market is to introduce an XL frame size for all of their models for the sometimes larger American bodies.

Looking at that photo e-boy posted, the bike looks way too small for this rider. And this was my experience too. I was interested in a size large frame for the urban rush or cross connect, but when I saw it in person it was just too small for a tall guy like me. Otherwise, they seem like solid bikes with great value.

However, my advice to Yamaha if they hope to see continued growth in the North American market is to introduce an XL frame size for all of their models for the sometimes larger American bodies.

Looking at that photo e-boy posted, the bike looks way too small for this rider. And this was my experience too. I was interested in a size large frame for the urban rush or cross connect, but when I saw it in person it was just too small for a tall guy like me. Otherwise, they seem like solid bikes with great value.

I agree this is a high-quality eBike at the right price... it looks like typical small frame road bikes are still in vogue.

They will need to offer an XL for sure in the US. ;)

Last edited:
.' Yamaha as a $13 billion company dwarfs any bike or ebike OEM, so they will be here for the very long run. Even Giant who makes 60% of t
Great insight info. Thank you for sharing. Inonly wished that they had put some Ulegra RD/FF or a Dura ace shifter.
The whole Tiagra group needs to be changed.

How is the frame built ? The battery interface ?

I have to consider getting one, b/c i just can't justify in the current economic climate paying 7-8k for a Domane+HP.
But if we look at the huge stock bubble baloooon , it is going very well !! Not for too long. Psi is way too high and it is popping up very soon...

Up to now, many Yamaha ebike buyers already own other Yamaha power sports products , and truly get their reputation for durability and reliability. Many ebike newbies aren't yet recognizing that value, hence the propensity for buyers to buy 'cheap' and frequently on line. Longer term they'll learn the hard way, the mistake they made in spending so little for an unknown and highly unproven brand. The Yamaha craftsmanship is unparalleled right now, especially for ebikes priced under $4000. It's still an early adopter market here in the US, and the barriers to entry for 'white label' (slap a logo on a Chinese knock off, and import a 'container load') and you are in the 'business' of pretending to be an Ebike OEM. Very much 'buyer beware' and even 'dealer beware.' Yamaha as a $13 billion company dwarfs any bike or ebike OEM, so they will be here for the very long run. Even Giant who makes 60% of the world's bike frames, is only a $1.3 billion company. Yamahas back end systems for dealers are light years ahead of everyone else's. Most ebike brands don't even have a 'back end' system, let alone part SKU's.
What is the value of Yamaha’s worldwide ebike business ?

I’m a big fan of Yamaha , they deliver reliability , value , and performance .
But I also experienced their ”down-sized” frame geometry .

They will need to offer an XL for sure in the US. ;)

Maybe some day. Many ebike brands don't have XL frames, and a lot offer only one size 'fits all' which doesn't end up fitting very many. The interesting thing about my Yamaha buyers is a large percentage of them are rather tall, as in over 6'. You would think their frames would attract buyers that aren't so tall. go figure ?!?

There is definitely a shortage of ebike frames designed for really tall riders though.

One size advantage of the Yamahas is they have very low stand over heights, and they do provide longer than average seat posts so you can raise the seats plenty high, and front cabling is long enough to add stem risers or adjustable stems that pivot up higher and toward the rider for a more upright position - but they are designed as moderate lean forward ebikes for aerodynamics. That is a much better position for back health, and your spine, than full upright. Your back muscles and core will support your spine better, and it handles road bumps better. I know a lot of people prefer upright posture so they can avoid wrist pain,but really that is due to a lack of physical fitness,and lack of keeping your body core strong as you age. The correct posture leaning forward provides better bike control, especially in turns, and will help you strengthen your core muscles over time, or at least help keep them from atrophying. Too many people lose all of that sitting all day in front of PC's or at desks.

It's a super nimble ebike that Yamaha is building and I believe as ebike industry and riders mature, and find out how much more they are riding, and the longer distances, they will refine their choice of ebike, and not purely accept the heavier weights of ebikes like Rad, and also also seek out better craftsmanship such as what Yamaha is providing. They are still priced a lot lower than many other competing mid drives that have similar component levels and at 43 lbs with the battery, and having only a 500 watt light weight battery and still being able to achieve 70 miles on level 1 assist, is a really nice combination to have. 3 year warranty on battery and motor is nice peace of mind as well.

My biggest wish for Yamaha is for them to start offering step thru models. The female buyers is a huge percent of my business, and with many older men wanting step thrus too, those step thru designs represent more than 60% of my sales. Its also interesting how among couples, it's more often the female making the first ebike purchase , and then later the male. It's like the male is all 'he-man' during the purchase process, and they think men don't 'need assist.'. Then when the 'better half' starts blowing his doors off on longer rides, the ego takes over, and 'capitulation' occurs. Lol. Single ebike only couples don't seem to last very long, and soon become two ebike riders having much more fun TOGETHER. Ebikes remain the 'great equalizer' between the sexes,as someone anonymous once said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe some day. Many ebike brands don't have XL frames, and a lot offer only one size 'fits all' which doesn't end up fitting very many. The interesting thing about my Yamaha buyers is a large percentage of them are rather tall, as in over 6'. You would think their frames would attract buyers that aren't so tall. go figure ?!? There is definitely a shortage of ebike frames designed for really tall riders though.

One size advantage of the Yamahas is they have very low stand over heights, and they do provide longer than average seat posts so you can raise the seats plenty high, and front cabling is long enough to add stem risers or adjustable stems that pivot up higher and toward the rider for a more upright position - but they are designed as moderate lean forward ebikes for aerodynamics. That is a much better position for back health, and your spine, than full upright. Your back muscles and core will support your spine better, and it handles road bumps better. I know a lot of people prefer upright posture so they can avoid wrist pain,but really that is due to a lack of physical fitness,and lack of keeping your body core strong as you age. The correct posture leaning forward provides better bike control, especially in turns, and will help you strengthen your core muscles over time, or at least help keep them from atrophying. Too many people lose all of that sitting all day in front of PC's or at desks.

It's a super nimble ebike that Yamaha is building and I believe as ebike industry and riders mature, and find out how much more they are riding, and the longer distances, they will refine their choice of ebike, and not purely accept the heavier weights of ebikes like Rad, and also also seek out better craftsmanship such as what Yamaha is providing. They are still priced a lot lower than many other competing mid drives that have similar component levels and at 43 lbs with the battery, and having only a 500 watt light weight battery and still being able to achieve 70 miles on level 1 assist, is a really nice combination to have. 3 year warranty on battery and motor is nice peace of mind as well.

My biggest wish for Yamaha is for them to start offering step thru models. The female buyers is a huge percent of my business, and with many older men wanting step thrus too, those step thru designs represent more than 60% of my sales. Its also interesting how among couples, it's more often the female making the first ebike purchase , and then later the male. It's like the male is all 'he-man' during the purchase process, and they think men don't 'need assist.'. Then when the 'better half' starts blowing his doors off on longer rides, the ego takes over, and 'capitulation' occurs. Lol. Single ebike only couples don't seem to last very long, and soon become two ebike riders having much more fun TOGETHER. Ebikes remain the 'great equalizer' between the sexes,as someone anonymous once said.

I think you market observations are spot on... Yamaha should offer more step-thru models to increase its market share.

Interesting to note that Giant, Haibike, and others offer a wide variety of step-thru models with Yamaha drive systems. ;)
1594857301038.png

Last edited:
I have to consider getting one, b/c i just can't justify in the current economic climate paying 7-8k for a Domane+HP.

Was literally ready to walk in and put down 7k for a Domane+HP to use as a commuter when the lockdown happened and suddenly I'm work from home for the rest of the year. This looks like a substantially better deal. Half the price of the Domane and only 5 lbs heavier!

Was literally ready to walk in and put down 7k for a Domane+HP to use as a commuter when the lockdown happened and suddenly I'm work from home for the rest of the year. This looks like a substantially better deal. Half the price of the Domane and only 5 lbs heavier!
Yes, the new Yamaha seems to be very reasonably priced in my opinion.

Yes, the new Yamaha seems to be very reasonably priced in my opinion.

My one gripe about Yamaha is the price of a battery. I would love to have a 500Wh battery (my bike came with a 400Wh) but over $900 is a very hard pill to swallow.

View attachment 58255

43lbs isn’t heavy for an ebike. My Haibike weighs similar and it rides like an analog bike. With the battery removed, I can lift my bike over my head with one hand. 90% of the time, I don’t even use the motor and it doesn’t weigh me down. 🐥

This is an awesome bike for the price - Yamaha reputation and reliability, 28mph speed, and 3 year comprehensive warranty to boot.
Specialized Creo SL is half the power and almost half the battery for almost 3 times the price at $9000 for the base model. 😬

Honestly, if I cared so much about minimal power and weight reduction, I would rather buy a good analog road bike for a fraction of the cost of Creo and it’ll weigh much less. 😎

Last edited:
My one gripe about Yamaha is the price of a battery. I would love to have a 500Wh battery (my bike came with a 400Wh) but over $900 is a very hard pill to swallow.

I purchased a new Yamaha battery for $700 and got the bike for free... ;)

Back