Amazon vs dealer

Merica

Region
USA
Hello ...amazon bafang front wheel kits have same specs as from dealers?...does any body know if its so much cheaper because of customer service and in stock availability...I know they all come from same place..

I got my Bafang mid-drive kit from ebike essentials. They stock in the US and tell you upfront if it’s out of stock. I had mine in 5 days and this was during Covid. Those Amazon dealers may be in China. They like to lie about being in the US just like most of the Chinese products available through Bezos.

I got my Bafang mid-drive kit from ebike essentials. They stock in the US and tell you upfront if it’s out of stock. I had mine in 5 days and this was during Covid. Those Amazon dealers may be in China. They like to lie about being in the US just like most of the Chinese products available through Bezos.
Depends on delivery time. If they come directly from China it takes longer but is less expensive.

I would not buy something so substantial from Amazon. The way they stock product and pool inventory from multiple sellers is a situation that makes dumping defective products fairly easy. I've actually had good luck with Ebay in particular and Ali Express. It helps to be able to directly rate a seller's performance, although this is a far from perfect buyer protection.

Also when I buy its usually a single component. A motor. A controller. A display. All separate orders. Makes it more difficult for a seller to substitute an item in a kit.

EDIT: I am an Amazon Prime member and I buy stuff from them almost daily vs. shopping locally. So its not like I think Amazon is a bad market channel. But from overseas sellers in the ebike arena... Amazon tends to be bottom of the barrel.

There's also the customer service from essentials. You can talk direct to someone who has english as a first language. I'm assuming the OP is from the US. I think they have a European store too.

From a dealer, you’ll have better warranty coverage and a physical place to bring the bike if you should need work. That’s why you pay more.

If you like to do your own work and love to learn, you can save money and have fun learning. Only, do your homework before you do any work. For some, it’s worth it to pay more and have someone else maintain your bike, because that’s easy. People like easy.

Should you choose to buy your kit from Amazon, aliexpress, or eBay. It’s all the same product. Just be sure to check the sellers/stores reviews before committing. Ask questions, if you have to.

Satisfying response from CYC. I had an issue with PayPal primarily and CYC as the vendor. I am very pleased with the response from CYC and PayPal.

In January, paid $410 shipped for BBS02B 750W 48V motor kit from PSWpower. Delivered out of their USA distribution site in less than a week, Surprised to see a crank puller, BB wrench, and a light kit also in the box.
However, the display and crank options are limited to what;s in stock. To get the full option list, it's about $500 shipped out of China, and then you might as well go with a US re-seller for the support.
I do not need help to answer questions or install it. Bafang had been making this motor for 8 years now, and I will take my chances that it's going to work.
https://www.pswpower.com/.../bafang-8fun-bbs02b-48v-750w

Last edited:
Thanks for your input...I have built rear and front hub bikes and mid drive...I always went with a reputable place for battery and motor kits.....I think I will stay with that as I am in the NW and can get one out of CA..Thank You

A LOT of guys go into total meltdown when they see some of the challenges involved with different wiring issues you ARE going to run into doing 99% of these conversions. The fact that matching 2 connectors color to color may not work a lot of times will generally do it. If you are/might be one of them, SUPPORT becomes a REALLY big deal!!!!

If you're a veteran with a couple of these under your belt, support becomes way less part of the deal, and price can become your focus. Just make darn sure you are comparing apples with apples.

Back