Allant+7 thoughts/review

My name is Steve, from Cleveland Oh, I am 65 years old and I recently purchased the Trek Allant +7. I am new to this EBR Forum, but have been following the posts and have gotten some good info from it. Thanks to all that have contributed. So far, I am happy with my purchase, the bike is solid and has a good ride, especially enjoy the front suspension fork. The only modification I have performed is adding the SR Suntour seat post which was a game changer for me. The bike came with the Racktime rear rack , but I did not like Racktime bag choices, so I purchased the Racktime adapter plate and was able to modify Topeak's MTX bag by adding the adapter plate. I do have a question for Dallant, I like the bar ends that you installed and was wondering if you could tell me the brand name and or the model number of the ones you chose, they look exactly like what I would want, as I would like the option of sitting more vertical. I dont see in any of your posts information pertaining to them. where you able to just add them to the existing grips? Thank you for any information. I also saw the Ritchy adjustable stem that was mentioned in the posts, which might also be an option to raise the height of the handle bars. Any other suggestions would be welcome.
Congrats on your +7! These are the bar ends I installed and yes, I was able add them to the existing grips.
I did also cover it all with grip tape, which really added good cushion and grip.
You can also see from the photo that I moved the headlight up to the handlebar area simply by using the existing mount with the existing handlebar screw and it’s held up perfectly.😎👍
04423C14-F7B5-4030-9B8F-200F5F78FCEF.jpeg

Thanks for the quick reply. The grip tape is great idea. Was moving the light up more for functionality or safety or both, I looked at mine and can see that it is a simple move. I also have a side mirror that screws into the handle grip end, I see you have a mirror as well, were you able to mount it after attaching the extensions, or does it attach in a different manner? Thanks again for taking the time and sharing you customizing tips, exactly what i was looking for, Steve J

Thanks for the quick reply. The grip tape is great idea. Was moving the light up more for functionality or safety or both, I looked at mine and can see that it is a simple move. I also have a side mirror that screws into the handle grip end, I see you have a mirror as well, were you able to mount it after attaching the extensions, or does it attach in a different manner? Thanks again for taking the time and sharing you customizing tips, exactly what i was looking for, Steve J
Changing the light was just a general idea (right or wrong, I don’t know) that it would offer more useful light from higher up. I also like how it looks. I did very gently pull the light cord out a bit so it would have a bit of slack when turning the bike. The Mirrycle mirror goes (as normal) into the bar end opening after attaching the bar ends.

Thank you for all the info, I am going to look into purchasing the items that you mentioned and start customizing my new bike, and make a great bike better. I'll update you once I get things going, Happy Trails, Steve J

Hi Dallant, hope all is well, I took up your recommendation for the bar ends and received them today, my question for you is, did you have to modify the existing grips to allow for the bar ends to attach to the handle bar itself? I took off the grip end and there is not enough metal for me to attach them unless i cut away the rubber end, or, did you slide the grips inward to allow enough metal to attach the bar end, or, are there 2 different diameters and did I order the wrong size? It looks like if I were to slide the Purion display and the shifter inward approx 1/2'', I could move the grips inward and it would expose enough metal to attach the bar end. Thanks, Steve J

Hi Dallant, hope all is well, I took up your recommendation for the bar ends and received them today, my question for you is, did you have to modify the existing grips to allow for the bar ends to attach to the handle bar itself? I took off the grip end and there is not enough metal for me to attach them unless i cut away the rubber end, or, did you slide the grips inward to allow enough metal to attach the bar end, or, are there 2 different diameters and did I order the wrong size? It looks like if I were to slide the Purion display and the shifter inward approx 1/2'', I could move the grips inward and it would expose enough metal to attach the bar end. Thanks, Steve J
Yes I did slide them all in, then I did this!🤓
0D6CA0C3-0D8B-419C-9395-67F9B90C17F2.jpeg

Another plus of getting the Allant+7 w/Performance Line CX…the option of EMTB-Lite. EMTB-Lite replaces Touring mode and, like EMTB mode, reacts to how hard you pedal with increased power vs Touring mode. According to Trek this is a Trek-specific option that, in 2020 models, may not show EMTB-Lite mode on the display. This was evidently corrected in the 2021 models.
I really like what little I’ve used it so far.

So my Allant+7 has now turned over 1600 miles in just over a year. Still totally reliable and still climbs everything I’ve felt the need to climb. We’ve added my wife’s Allant+7 Lowstep (which she loves) and I’ve picked up a Trek Rail 5 EMTB for some back country riding.😎👍
2FE8A816-1C58-49E5-9E4B-C2AACFE3A7CB.jpeg

Attachments

• 4BD53C2B-65B3-42B5-851C-B471ED17051A.jpeg
    4BD53C2B-65B3-42B5-851C-B471ED17051A.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 182
  • 1A41A1D1-62FF-47C6-973F-90A1A1C19BA7.jpeg
    1A41A1D1-62FF-47C6-973F-90A1A1C19BA7.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 192
Turned over 1700 miles today and the Allant+7 is still rockin very reliably. Recent activities include…

Attachments

• 4011B3F0-4CF6-4E13-98CC-25352CD54773.jpeg
    4011B3F0-4CF6-4E13-98CC-25352CD54773.jpeg
    465.3 KB · Views: 200
  • E49AE6C7-84D3-488D-AB9F-CA9BB18A92AE.jpeg
    E49AE6C7-84D3-488D-AB9F-CA9BB18A92AE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 217
  • FED581EA-7025-4375-B76E-8CDA4CC6A2B0.jpeg
    FED581EA-7025-4375-B76E-8CDA4CC6A2B0.jpeg
    718.2 KB · Views: 216
  • A6F93285-5CD2-4812-B40E-9AE36CC70CE5.jpeg
    A6F93285-5CD2-4812-B40E-9AE36CC70CE5.jpeg
    811.6 KB · Views: 210
  • 8F4D8260-4A5A-4776-91D2-B43FA382BA53.jpeg
    8F4D8260-4A5A-4776-91D2-B43FA382BA53.jpeg
    290.9 KB · Views: 199
That's great! Just curious... when did you get your bike's chain replaced and what did it measure to cause you to get the new chain?

That's great! Just curious... when did you get your bike's chain replaced and what did it measure to cause you to get the new chain?
For any bike with a rear derailleur (e-bike or otherwise), I recommend purchasing a chain stretch checker tool/gauge. For example:

It is a low cost tool and could save you the headache and cost of having to replace your entire cassette and drivetrain.

You want to replace your chain before the chain stretches beyond 1/16" (1.6mm).

You can also use a ruler to measure between rivets, but the chain stretch tool is easier.

An overly stretched chain can cause damage to the cassette and chain ring. It happened to me in the past and after replacing my drivetrain once, I bought a chain checker tool. It is a lot cheaper and easier to replace just the chain.

Last edited:
My Trek guy checked it at 1600 miles and it was fine. I‘ve always been very much a high cadence rider and rarely push hard on my pedals. My chains have always lasted me a very long time.
My general impression from this site it’s not good to put a new chain on a well-used cassette. It is that you should always change your chain and cassette at the same time, no?

My general impression from this site it’s not good to put a new chain on a well-used cassette. It is that you should always change your chain and cassette at the same time, no?
Yes, correct. But if you replace your chain before significant wear and tear on the cassette you don't need to replace the cassette as frequently.

I agree that if you are getting your bike checked out by a pro frequently enough they almost always check chain wear so there would be no need to purchase a tool (unless you don't trust the tech).

Dallant is also correct that how you ride (heavy mashing vs. gentle spinning) makes a big difference on how fast your chain wears out.

Yes, correct. But if you replace your chain before significant wear and tear on the cassette you don't need to replace the cassette as frequently.

I agree that if you are getting your bike checked out by a pro frequently enough they almost always check chain wear so there would be no need to purchase a tool (unless you don't trust the tech).

Dallant is also correct that how you ride (heavy mashing vs. gentle spinning) makes a big difference on how fast your chain wears out.
That said, I do get that ebikes generally use up chains quicker. And I do climb my share of significant (to me) hills. The idea that I now have three ebikes to care for does suggest more proper tools and a chain checker might be one to get for general preventative maintenance.😎👍

I use this Park chain checker and replace the chain when it shows .50 wear. I have changed the cassette once through 3 chains at 7500 km, but that was partly due to going from the original 11-36 cassette to an 11-46 one for lower gearing on hills. You may have to replace the cassette when you do the chain; as Dallant notes, it depends how you ride. I am on lots of different terrain and shift quite a bit.

Attachments

• ED6A1921-B999-4DD7-AC03-9EC69444FA7D.jpeg
    ED6A1921-B999-4DD7-AC03-9EC69444FA7D.jpeg
    18 KB · Views: 151
Hi all, new Allant 7s owner here. Thanks to all for your posts to help me make a decision. There are certainly many, many companies to pitch their e-bike choices at you. Especially on Facebook when you first show an internet interest in research. I choose the Allant because it fit my check list of being a solid commuter and some light touring in it's future. I also chose Trek because of it's reputation in the marketplace for e-bikes and their strong dealer network. I am a good bike mechanic but wanted a dealer start for the e-bike world in case I ran into issues. So, after my research I had decided on the 7. There were none to be had anywhere close in my size ( XL ) so I headed to the Trek store to get one ordered and onto the wait list. I was talking to the Manager and he had a 7 and after three months traded up to the 7S. He had a large 7 and an XL in the 7S. He let me ride both and compare the two. To his credit he did not try to upsell me in any way. Let me decide on my own. I really liked the 7S and the fact that I could own it that day and not wait 4 months for a 7. I got it home and the next day did some mods to make the bike my own! Moved some parts over from my Long Haul Trucker. Surly Moloko Bars, the Pedal Innovations pedals with the large platforms that I like for my big feet. I am sure the saddle on the 7S would have been fine but I moved my Brooks Imperial over to just give the bike some Brooks personality!! I planned on moving the stem riser I had on the LHT over to raise up those bars but there was not enough loose play in the cables. In fact, I installed the bars first and then I could not get the things out and up on the bars. I had to slide the brake levers, shifter, and computer on first and then mount the completed bars onto the fork tube. I would like to get a stem riser, but will have to wait until I can lengthen all the cables. That is a way down the road project. The ride is pretty good with how it is!! Here are some pictures how it looks!!

Attachments

• 220465454_323969172707082_6682564300841644641_n.jpg
    220465454_323969172707082_6682564300841644641_n.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 211
  • 220066407_352351929614594_3874333794205687471_n.jpg
    220066407_352351929614594_3874333794205687471_n.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 209
  • 219544752_4343110549085714_4050698923075634619_n.jpg
    219544752_4343110549085714_4050698923075634619_n.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 213
Hi all, new Allant 7s owner here. Thanks to all for your posts to help me make a decision. There are certainly many, many companies to pitch their e-bike choices at you. Especially on Facebook when you first show an internet interest in research. I choose the Allant because it fit my check list of being a solid commuter and some light touring in it's future. I also chose Trek because of it's reputation in the marketplace for e-bikes and their strong dealer network. I am a good bike mechanic but wanted a dealer start for the e-bike world in case I ran into issues. So, after my research I had decided on the 7. There were none to be had anywhere close in my size ( XL ) so I headed to the Trek store to get one ordered and onto the wait list. I was talking to the Manager and he had a 7 and after three months traded up to the 7S. He had a large 7 and an XL in the 7S. He let me ride both and compare the two. To his credit he did not try to upsell me in any way. Let me decide on my own. I really liked the 7S and the fact that I could own it that day and not wait 4 months for a 7. I got it home and the next day did some mods to make the bike my own! Moved some parts over from my Long Haul Trucker. Surly Moloko Bars, the Pedal Innovations pedals with the large platforms that I like for my big feet. I am sure the saddle on the 7S would have been fine but I moved my Brooks Imperial over to just give the bike some Brooks personality!! I planned on moving the stem riser I had on the LHT over to raise up those bars but there was not enough loose play in the cables. In fact, I installed the bars first and then I could not get the things out and up on the bars. I had to slide the brake levers, shifter, and computer on first and then mount the completed bars onto the fork tube. I would like to get a stem riser, but will have to wait until I can lengthen all the cables. That is a way down the road project. The ride is pretty good with how it is!! Here are some pictures how it looks!!
Congrats! Sometimes great things do just fall into your lap!😎

Back