Allant +7 Range Booster

jgilby

I am considering the purchase of an Allant +7, I have a Verve+ but would like a little more distance so was considering the Allant with the range booster battery also. My question is that I would like to know if I need to have the range booster in place for short rides. Is the booster holder waterproof if the battery is not in place?

I am considering the purchase of an Allant +7, I have a Verve+ but would like a little more distance so was considering the Allant with the range booster battery also. My question is that I would like to know if I need to have the range booster in place for short rides. Is the booster holder waterproof if the battery is not in place?

I have the Range Boost and I would say that you would want to leave the Range Boost Battery on the bike all of the time.
It is not convenient to remove. It requires the same key as the main battery. Since the bike is electric it the weight of the extra battery doesn't really effect performance. I was originally going to remove the battery when not need but decided it was a PITA. As for waterproof I would say definitely not. The battery contacts on the mount would definitely get wet. I don't consider the main battery or the range boost battery waterproof at all. Look things over carefully and you will see that things would definitely become damp if in heavy rain. The Trek owners manual clearly states not to get components wet. Hopefully future products will be completely waterproof. Not sure why the main battery door doesn't have a weatherproof seal on it.

I have the Range Boost and I would say that you would want to leave the Range Boost Battery on the bike all of the time.
It is not convenient to remove. It requires the same key as the main battery. Since the bike is electric it the weight of the extra battery doesn't really effect performance. I was originally going to remove the battery when not need but decided it was a PITA. As for waterproof I would say definitely not. The battery contacts on the mount would definitely get wet. I don't consider the main battery or the range boost battery waterproof at all. Look things over carefully and you will see that things would definitely become damp if in heavy rain. The Trek owners manual clearly states not to get components wet. Hopefully future products will be completely waterproof. Not sure why the main battery door doesn't have a weatherproof seal on it.
It's all waterproof to a certain IP rating but you can't dunk them in water. Any kind of rain will be fine! Even submerging the Bosch motor for a creek crossing is okay.

I use the Bosch protector for the contacts. I would have no qualms about riding in the rain. I haven't had to since commuting is cancelled due to Covid. You can see the Bosch contact protector thingy in this photo if you zoom. This is the way I usually ride.

Attachments

• AllantNew_F.jpg
    AllantNew_F.jpg
    871 KB · Views: 467
  • 1597882241077.png
    1597882241077.png
    114.6 KB · Views: 470
It's all waterproof to a certain IP rating but you can't dunk them in water. Any kind of rain will be fine! Even submerging the Bosch motor for a creek crossing is okay.

I have not seen any IP rating in the manual. I would doubt that claim. The bike can definitely get wet as the manual does state this. It does have a caveat that high pressure water should not be used to clean the bike. That being said I have been very careful about getting any of the electrical stuff very wet without a complete wipe down. The battery compartment and range boost battery mount don't look very waterproof to me.

Not Trek, but we have two dual battery Bosch bikes and routinely ride with only one battery installed. The battery management system seems quite up to the task.

Back