Advice on large rear rack bag (trunk bag) to carry spare RadRover 5 battery?

joshmkim

Hi everyone. I'm wondering if anyone has anyone has any advice on a rear rack (trunk) bag to carry a spare battery for my RadRover 5? The Rad battery is almost 15 inches long. Most of the bags seem to top out at 12 or 13 inches long. And I'm having trouble searching for an "extra long" bag. Maybe there are alternatives to a bag?

Argh, the message I just posted I accidentally deleted as it had an extra photo in it, lol. I will try again. :D

I was looking for the same requirements last year and found this bag on Amazon.ca (ship to in Canada) for $27cdn at the time:

Note the only sellers on Amazon.ca right now that carrying it are asking for double the price I paid. If you're in Canada and can find a 13L bag like this for a good price it's an option to consider.

For the U.S. I did find the same bag (different branding but same specs) by searching 13L trunk bag:

Note in the link above the second photo confirms the 40cm length.

Here are a couple photos of my bag for real world reference:

2020-06-17 16.11.59.jpg

2020-06-17 16.12.04.jpg

The thread wkearney99 linked to with actual battery mounts is awesome, more secure for sure. As long as you're not doing crazy off road riding then the bag is a good option and gives you extra space to carry water bottles and snacks (or other stuff) with your battery within.

Good luck!

Nice. I'd be worried about the heavy battery flopping around in a bag if you were actually off-roading.

Funny enough I do take that bag on trails - but just rail trails that are mostly flat/straight. having the battery at the bottom of the bag with bottles on top worked well for me.

But yes, no single track or rocky trail riding with a battery in a bag - that's where the mounts you suggested would be the only option other than carrying the battery perhaps in a backpack or tight form fitted bag setup as discussed in another thread recently.

Argh, the message I just posted I accidentally deleted as it had an extra photo in it, lol. I will try again. :D

I was looking for the same requirements last year and found this bag on Amazon.ca (ship to in Canada) for $27cdn at the time:

Note the only sellers on Amazon.ca right now that carrying it are asking for double the price I paid. If you're in Canada and can find a 13L bag like this for a good price it's an option to consider.

For the U.S. I did find the same bag (different branding but same specs) by searching 13L trunk bag:

Note in the link above the second photo confirms the 40cm length.

Here are a couple photos of my bag for real world reference:

View attachment 55848

View attachment 55849

The thread wkearney99 linked to with actual battery mounts is awesome, more secure for sure. As long as you're not doing crazy off road riding then the bag is a good option and gives you extra space to carry water bottles and snacks (or other stuff) with your battery within.

Good luck!

Thank you. I ordered this bag, - will let folks know how it works for the RadRover battery. If it is too small, I'll go for the other ideas with the panniers. What a great example of the internet working well. Google failed me, but CdnShaun had a solution in only a few hours.

Back