Trunk Bag for 2022 Turbo Vado

Decho

Region
United Kingdom
I’ve just take delivery of a Virtually new Vado 4 from ebikebuyer.com to replace my 2020 model…I just wanted a bigger battery that the new model offers and also all the other improvements. The bike has only done 17 miles and is immaculate….I’m having it checked over by my LBS before I go on any long rides but I initial impressions are very good.I paid £2500 for it which I think is a very good price.
Anyway I now find that the rack on the back is MIK HD so my current trunk bag won’t fit so looking for a new one. I want one with folding out side pockets. I’ve looked at the Topeak one and also the Basil one(which comes with the MIK plate) to attach to the rack. does anyone have experience of these bags or have any other suggestions. if I went for the Topeak one I would need to buy a separate MIK plate for it I think.

I use the MIK rack system as well and I looked at both the Basil and Topeak bags among others. I couldn't find many pictures of the bags in action so I took a chance on the Basil since it was MIK ready. I would have to add an adapter plate to the Topeak. So far, I'm pleased with the Basil. It appears to be well made for the price but isn't as well reviewed as the Topeak. Here are a few pics of the Basil which may help:

The panniers deploy easily and provide a good deal of extra storage space. Like all fold out panniers, they are made of fairly light weight nylon fabric and are not suited for heavy items like a spare battery or heavy tool kit. They work well for clothing, rain gear or a lunch though.

IMG_003226.jpg
IMG_003227.jpg
IMG_003228.jpg

The bag itself has quite a bit of space and the lid can be expanded to add more:

IMG_003229.jpg
IMG_003230.jpg

There is also a pouch on top of the lid for additional storage:

IMG_003231.jpg
IMG_003232.jpg

The only thing I don't like about the Basil is the locking mechanism. On many racks, you can just reach under and trip the latch with your finger. It's good for protection from a casual thief but won't thwart a determined one. The key used to lock it to the rack is a bit unwieldy and awkward to put on a keychain. It's also difficult to insert on some racks since you can't see to line it up with the lock. It can't be left in place due to it's size, weight and fold up design. As a fix, I made my own key which can be left in the lock and removed when desired:

large_200780_20211025021625.jpg
IMG_003234.jpg
IMG_003237.jpg

In any case, I hope this helps you decide and good luck with your choice!

Thanks for the informative answers…they both look good but I’ve decided to go for the Topeak bag and have bought a separate Mik Plate.

Thanks for the informative answers…they both look good but I’ve decided to go for the Topeak bag and have bought a separate Mik Plate.
I have both and think you made the right choice! The Topeak has larger and more functional fold out panniers imho.

I also own both bags, Basil and Topeak, and prefer Topeak overall, but I don't like the new design of the Topeak bags with the added water bottle holder attached, so my Vado and Giant Fastroad Ex Pro both run the Basil bags.

Hey guys, I am considering getting one of these. Space is a priority for me.
Is there any big difference in size between the Basil, Topeka and Bontrager? They have different internal sizes according to manufacturer (8L for Basil and Topeak and 13 l for the Bontrager, but looking at the pictures they all seem pretty similar to me? Grateful for any feedback.

I also own both bags, Basil and Topeak, and prefer Topeak overall, but I don't like the new design of the Topeak bags with the added water bottle holder attached, so my Vado and Giant Fastroad Ex Pro both run the Basil bags.
I'm not sure why you don't care for the water bottle holder on the Topeak bag. To me, it's just an extra storage pocket. I don't use it to carry a bottle but instead, I use it to hold a small zipper pouch.

IMG_003238.jpg
IMG_003240.jpg
IMG_003241.jpg

It makes it easy to grab small, frequently used items without rummaging through the bag.

Hey guys, I am considering getting one of these. Space is a priority for me.
Is there any big difference in size between the Basil, Topeka and Bontrager? They have different internal sizes according to manufacturer (8L for Basil and Topeak and 13 l for the Bontrager, but looking at the pictures they all seem pretty similar to me? Grateful for any feedback.
I have the Topeak, Basil and the older Bontrager interchange trunk bags. The bags themselves are all about the same size internally but the Topeak fold out panniers are the largest of the three. The material of the Topeak panniers is also made from a heavier gauge nylon than the older Bontrager & Basil bags. The zippers on all three are about the same quality.

I can't help you with the newer Bontrager MIK bags though.

I can't help you with the newer Bontrager MIK bags though.
My wife has one of the newer Bontrager MIK bags, the 13L version.

Interior seems around the same size as my Topeak MTS DXP but doesn't have the upward expandability nor the fold out panniers.

@MC2 - I'd recommend ordering the Topeak from Amazon or somewhere with a good return policy and then go to a Trek shop to compare with the Bontrager. There are differences to the bags more than just size, and you'd want to check them out in person if you can.

I got the Topeak bag on sale from chainreaction cycles and the bracket from Amazon.Must say I’m very pleased with it, looks very good quality. The pannier pockets are quite large and I like how they have elastic to secure them to the side of the frame.

My wife has one of the newer Bontrager MIK bags, the 13L version.

Interior seems around the same size as my Topeak MTS DXP but doesn't have the upward expandability nor the fold out panniers.

@MC2 - I'd recommend ordering the Topeak from Amazon or somewhere with a good return policy and then go to a Trek shop to compare with the Bontrager. There are differences to the bags more than just size, and you'd want to check them out in person if you can.
Thanks everyone, I am now considering the Topeak bag and a MIK adapter.
Just gotta make sure I know how to install the adapter, hoping I do not need a drill..

Just gotta make sure I know how to install the adapter, hoping I do not need a drill..
Installing the MIK adapter plate on the Topeak bag isn't that difficult but adding holes with a drill makes for a neater job.

The Topeak mount easily unscrews from the bag with a Philips screwdriver but the mounting holes do not match up with the MIK plate. I cut a piece of plastic to the same dimensions as the Topeak mount and fastened it to the bag using the existing hardware & holes. I then screwed the MIK plate to the plastic. This requires some fabrication though and also a drill.

Another way to do it would be to remove the Topeak mount, use an awl to punch holes in the bottom of the bag that line up with the mounting screw holes on the MIK plate. The plate comes with plastic washers that add stiffness & strength. No drill necessary.

Note that the Topeak bags come in two flavors. The MTX bags have the track mount preinstalled and you'll need to remove it as @6zfshdb describes. The MTS bags have a velcro mount which can be snipped off once you successfully mount the MIK plate. I chose the MTS bag.

For the MIK adapter, I took a piece of stiff paper and marked the adapter screw hole locations, punching through them to validate against the plate. I applied painters tape to the bottom of the Topeak bag, triple checked positioning, then marked the screw positions on the tape using the holes in the template. You could probably just push a nail through the bag to then mark the screw locations inside, but I used a red hot nail to melt the holes thru the bag.

I did also take a piece of sheet plastic cut from a cheap basket to stiffen the mount on the inside of the Topeak but that may not be needed.

@6zfshdb Does the Basil bag have a shoulder strap? How are the zippers? I read one review where it indicated the zippers weren't so great.

@gpburdell You mention you need to remove the track mount on the MTX bags, do you then swap it out for a MIK plate? Any pictures of this by any chance? Also, you mention that you snip off the velcro on the MTS bags after using the MIK plate, i'm a bit confused on this, I thought the velcro straps just wrap around the MIK plate?

@Xantari yes, if you wish to use an MTX bag on a MIK rack you need to either add an MTX receiver to the rack (which I think would be ugly) or replace the MTX piece on the bag with a MIK plate. I don't have pictures of this because I chose to buy an MTS bag instead of irreversibly modifying my MTX bag that I still use on another bike with an MTX rack.

As for the MTS bag - I don't think the straps are located properly to work with a MIK adapter plate - the bag wouldn't be secured and could flop to one side or the other. Much better to clip off the velcro straps and use the screws/washers to attach the plate to the bag. I went a step further and added a piece of stiff plastic inside the bag.

Love my Topeak bags with the Quick rack adapters.

Back