Advice on Gazelle Arroyo (first ebike purchase)

michal

Region
USA
City
Brooklyn, NY
Hey folks!

I'm looking to buy a step-through ebike for riding around / commuting in NYC and, after considerable research, am really interested in the Gazelle Arroyo. When test riding it at my LBS, though, I was told the 2019 model is coming out in March, and now I'm not sure what to do.

Here's my dilemma:
  • The 2018 Arroyo ($3,500) has a rear-mounted battery, Bosch Performance Line motor, and Bosch Intuvia display.
  • The 2019 Arroyo ($3,600) will have an integrated downtube battery, but will use the less powerful Bosch Active Line Plus motor and simpler Bosch Purion display (according to my LBS).
Which do you think is the better choice? Is having an internal battery worth the less powerful motor and simpler display?

Thanks for your help!

I would always go w/ the more powerful motor.. My wife's Gazelle easy flow with shimano steps system has more oomph than my Haibike w/ Yamaha PW system. She ends up way ahead of me on long uphill grades. Hers has the rear mounted battery as well but she has a nice bag on the rack above it that hides it. Initially neither she or I wanted her to have a bike w/ a rear mounted battery but once we got it and she's ridden it 100mi. she is thrilled with it and so am I.. The step through is so nice for getting on and off too.

Hey folks!

I'm looking to buy a step-through ebike for riding around / commuting in NYC and, after considerable research, am really interested in the Gazelle Arroyo. When test riding it at my LBS, though, I was told the 2019 model is coming out in March, and now I'm not sure what to do.

Here's my dilemma:
  • The 2018 Arroyo ($3,500) has a rear-mounted battery, Bosch Performance Line motor, and Bosch Intuvia display.
  • The 2019 Arroyo ($3,600) will have an integrated downtube battery, but will use the less powerful Bosch Active Line Plus motor and simpler Bosch Purion display (according to my LBS).
Which do you think is the better choice? Is having an internal battery worth the less powerful motor and simpler display?

Thanks for your help!

You should try these bikes as well. They are quite comfortable and well-designed.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/lafree-eplus-1-2019

You should be able to find a Giant bike dealer within 20 mile radius.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Bulls Cross E wave is a wonderful bike with all the features for recreational riding.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

This is a great value.

Having said that, Gazelle is a great brand and if I were to pick the 2 options you posted, I would go with the 2018 model. The new 2019 model has a weaker motor and non-removable display (Purion display is cheaper than the Intuvia). The shift sensing on the Active line plus doesn't work nicely like the smaller sprocket Bosch motors. You can still get clunky gear shifts with that.

A test ride of 30min is a great way to understand nuances and really pick the right one for you. Reading won't help much. A demo ride will make you aware of things you never thought of. Have you test ridden any of the above bikes?

I love my 2017 Arroyo and wouldn't trade it for the new design with the downgraded motor/display. I intend to upgrade to the Nyon display which is compatible with the Intuvia mount but not the Purion, so that is one more reason I prefer the older model.

I hope you live somewhere w/o snow.. We got our ebikes just a few weeks before the snow came and now all we can do is stare at them in the living room and think about more accessories to buy.

Thanks for your input everyone!

I decided to go with the 2018 Arroyo (with Bosch Performance Line motor and Bosch Intuvia display), and even got it on sale for $3,199. Should be arriving in the next couple weeks.

Can't wait!
Congratulations! How exciting! Methinks you won't be sorry for your decision. Keep us posted.

I hope you live somewhere w/o snow.. We got our ebikes just a few weeks before the snow came and now all we can do is stare at them in the living room and think about more accessories to buy.
Howzabout some studded snow tires?
I bet, that you are looking forward to spring? It's going to be awesome!!!

I won't risk a fall on the ice. Yes, it's going to be a long wait until spring but we're actually considering an ebike mini vacation as far south as we have to drive for dry roads and reasonable temps.. Just ordered a cover for both bikes for when they are on the back of the truck. We're a little worried about staying in a hotel and having the bikes out in the parking lot on the back of the truck at night though. We need to find a place close to a good bike path that will allow us to bring the bikes inside our room or behind the front desk or something.

Hey folks!

Here's my dilemma:

Thanks for your help!

I agree with Ravi....If Arroyo is your final choice I'd go with the 2018 Arroyo, Bosch Performance Line Motor with the Intuvia Controller. It's a great combo.
I ride a Trek with that exact setup and love it.

Back