Advice on 2017 HardNine 6.0

DanInStPete

I’ve been looking at this bike for a long time now: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I bought a Juiced Bikes Crosscurrent S in early March and have been putting 175 miles/week on it for pleasure and exercise. For $1700 I have nothing bad to say about it. It’s been awesome, a blast to ride, has gotten me addicted to ebikes, and to exercising again.

But I want to get back into the woods. At $2500 this bike seems like a rare deal, since Haibike had excess inventory in 2017. I’m looking at this as an opportunity to step up in quality for not a lot of money.

My question is how would this bike do with high miles on the street? I’d like to get a second set of rims with Schwalbe Super Moto X tires and just swap them out depending on what I’m doing. But I’ll be riding on the street and bike paths most of the time.

Since I plan on getting a Stromer ST2 (or ST3?) at some point I would eventually have another ride just for pavement.

I know about the 100RPM limit but don’t think it’s an issue for me. I know that the PW SE motor is out and is better, but also a lot more money. I also understand that chain and sprocket wear is more of an issue with mid-drives.

I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences. Thanks!

Oh, I’m 6’4”, 225 lbs., and this is 55cm which seems about right.

Last edited:
I bought one a week ago - it arrives Tuesday - otherwise, I would LOVE to give you more input. There aren't any better deals out right now on a mid-drive than the 2017 Haibike lineup. I am somewhat annoyed with that 100rpm limit, but I plan on fixing that real fast with a Bikespeed RS to fix it properly, as opposed to just relocating the speed sensor from the inside of the dropout to the outside and relocating the magnetic sensor to the pedal axle (even so, I already ordered the 12x3mm rare earth magnet to do it the free way until the Bikespeed RS part arrives from Germany).

I am 6-3", 180 lbs so I ordered the 55 frame. I will ride it almost exclusively on rail trails, as the area I ride does not have any bike lanes and floating the idea of communting to work to my wife went over pretty badly. To be honest, I myself wouldn't trust the curvy back roads with no shoulder on a commute. It only takes one mistake, and it doesn't have to be a mistake on YOUR part to make life change drastically. I had a co-worker who was paralyzed about 15 years ago in a biking accident.

Dan, I also wanted to make you aware of an error on the Haibike USA website, and it shows up in your link as well. I emailed them about it last night, and it is quite confusing if you are researching the bike, but they list the tire size on the website for the FullNine as 27.5"

Tires.PNG

Now if you've been looking at the Haibike lineup, you know that the last part of the model name determines the tire size - HardSeven, FullSeven = 27.5" tires. HardNine, FullNine = 29" tires. If you look at the specs on this bike from almost every vendor that has them, they all list the bike as having Schwalbe Nobby Nic 57-622 tires:

Tires2.PNG

If you look up the specs on that tire, it lists it as a 29x2.25" tire, NOT a 27.5 like Haibike USA lists. I am really surprised that this wasn't caught or corrected, or maybe I am just REALLY anal and spend waaaay too many hours poring over the smallest detail on a bike when I get interested in it.

Solid components, even though I like oneby drivetrains.
Otherwise solid suspension in the back, I dont know about the front suspension.

Haibike always makes very atractive bikes, currently waiting for the Allmtn 9.0, sold out in germany unfortunaly.

Dan, not sure if FS is a requirement. But I paid less than that for an Xduro Trekking which has the 27.5 Super Moto X tires which i think are great for both paved and light offroad. I thought the Sduro HardSeven 6.0 was also a great buy at less than $2K.

Dan, not sure if FS is a requirement. But I paid less than that for an Xduro Trekking which has the 27.5 Super Moto X tires which i think are great for both paved and light offroad. I thought the Sduro HardSeven 6.0 was also a great buy at less than $2K.

Very good points. I myself would've recommended the Trekking as Irish pointed out, simply because it already offers a very nice rear rack and panniers, and with the FullNine I am finding it VERY hard to find a rear rack and panniers that I like. I can safely say you will not find the HardSeven 6. They are sold out - I called at least 10 dealers 2 weeks ago and can't find stock anywhere.

So it IS a 29er! Man I have been really confused about that. I thought it was, then I thought it wasn't. I actually prefer 29" so that's great.

I do want the full suspension, and have looked at the Trekking models, but when I ride trails I'm going to need it. We have a lot of flat, technical trails in FL with a lot of roots.

That front fork is actually pretty sweet. Not huge travel but a quality fork.

I can't find a better deal. If I didn't buy this I'd probably end up spending $5K on a Bulls eventually, and I really don't want to do that. That's my Stromer fund ;)

All I can say is, it BETTER be a 29er !! The point to be made about the rear suspension is I believe that you can set it to locked, just like the front fork, so if you really do want to make it a hardtail, you can. Not sure on that - perhaps an owner can chime in. The front fork (Rockshox Reba) is an upgrade over the Suntour on the Trekking, altho it won't have a lot of travel with the 29er - only 100mm. Regardless, I'd take the Reba over a Suntour any day.

Another tip on the Haibike model lines #s - the 4.0 and 5.0 at the end of the 2017 lineup designates the smaller 400w power pack, and the 6.0 and up like this FullNine 6.0 offers the larger 500w pack - a 20% increase in battery size.

When I was fatbike shopping, a 40 mile range was impossible to achieve unless you were going downhill the whole way, but the Yamaha powered Haibikes with the 500w pack are able to eke out close to 50 miles in their highest speed setting - an amazing # compared to the fatties. Yet another plus for the Haibike that made my decision easier to make. It would be CRAZY to see what one could pump out with a 48v 20a battery pack in a Haibike.

@Rakku I agree on the 1x.

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen anyone post on here who owns a HardNine.

@WalkinTarget Yes I saw the 5.0 with the 400w, not enough juice for my weight.

My range on the CCS runs from 12Wh/mile (Eco mode, little wind, staying at or under 20mph) to 18Wh/mile (windy, using whatever I need to cruise 18-23 mph). I’m curious as to the efficiency gain of the mid drive over the hub motor.

Another tip on the Haibike model lines #s - the 4.0 and 5.0 at the end of the 2017 lineup designates the smaller 400w power pack, and the 6.0 and up like this FullNine 6.0 offers the larger 500w pack - a 20% increase in battery size.
Your tip is incorrect. The 2017 Trekking 4.0 and 5.0 are both 500w packs. I think all 2017 Haibike models using the performance line (speed or CX) use the 500w packs. Some of the Active line motors may still be using the 400w packs.

I stand corrected. I wonder if its just the Trekking that offers the 500w, as I know that the FullNine 5.0 only uses the 400w. It's a great bargain at $1,999, but you do lose the RockShox Reba and 500w battery for a Suntour and the 400w battery.

Man Haibike’s models can be really confusing. I just realized I was saying HardNine when I meant FullNine.

FullNine rear suspension, much better fork, and 20% added capacity is easily worth the $500 I think.

:D Dan, no entries disappeared that I'm aware of. I sent you a PM to start a conversation, so it doesn't show in this thread as a comment. I think that is what you aren't seeing. I generally make it a rule to not discuss pricing in the open forums, and it's standard forum practice to keep pricing more of a private message thing so you don't have guys tossing a number at a dealer that someone got on a closeout model a month ago and expecting that price to be honored for every single buyer that comes along. That's my take on the subject.

Ordered! 2017 FullNine 6.0. Got it from Random Bike Parts for $2499 delivered.

I also ordered the bikespeed-RS, and a set of 29x2.35 Schwalbe G-One Speeds.

Should be fun!

Thank you I’m pretty excited about it. The last time I was riding a mountain bike was 2014-2015. I took it up your way to Flatwoods a few times before I developed a debilitating back problem that took me out of biking for a couple of years.

So looks like I’ll be heading up your way soon! Plan to spend some time at Alafia also. I emailed the trail boss to ask about ebikes and they’re all good as long as you don’t have a throttle.

I’ve been considering starting an ebike meetup but I’m not sure if there are enough people in Tampa/St. Pete.

Ordered from Fly Rides online, got it for 2700$ shipped to the house. Considered the 6.0 version, but for some reason, I think I was told they were out of my size frame... size large... It was that or perhaps the upgraded componets for the extra few hundred that steered me into getting the 6.5

A day after I ordered my bike, I felt guilty for not ordering my wife one too, so I ordered her a all mountain 5.0 which they gave me a deal on at 1999$ shipped. It comes with the smaller 400watt battery and suntour suspension and cheaper brakes and shifters, etc.. Its still a super nice bike and feels just as powerful, and only noticing a small difference in range between the bikes when we ride since she is lighter than me.

Back