Adjuting the power level in each assist mode using Bosch NYON

I think the rollout timeline for GPS constellations has been GPS (US), GLONASS (Russia), BeiDou (China) & then Galileo (EU).
You're probably right about the blurry imagery, if the thing was that slow then moving maps would be clunky too which i'm sure it's not.

Yeah, I’m just wondering if the 2021 Nyon might be at a disadvantage using an older receiver chip. The manual says nothing about what constellations it supports, nor does it seem to let you configure it. But it does say it can potentially take a while:

Whenever you switch on Nyon, it will begin with a satellite search to enable it to receive GPS signals. Once enough satellites have been found, the location point will change color from gray to blue. In unfavorable weather conditions or locations, the search for satellites may take a little longer. If no satellites have been found after an extended period of time, Nyon will restart.
When searching for satellites for the first time, the process can take several minutes.
In order to achieve the best possible positional accuracy, the first satellite search should be carried out outdoors. Ideally, you should remain stationary for a few minutes while this takes place, even if your position has already been found.

Yeah, even the first car units from the likes of TomTom/Garmin used vector map data. The flash storage was too slow and too small for anything else, and they definitely “clunked” when redrawing the screen. The time I spent mucking about with their file formats years ago was interesting though. Some good engineering to make those files efficient, despite the performance limitations.

For anyone in the US who wants to but the new Nyon 2021 Retrofit upgrade, I have found a couple of place in Europe that has it online and a youtube video to tell you how to upgrade your Kiox to Nyon (In German)

Does anyone know if the default Turbo mode is the highest assist mode? Can a custom mode be configured with Nyon that offers a more aggressive assist than Turbo?

I think Turbo gives max assist from the start to max speed. There’s nothing more. There is a graph somewhere showing the response curve for each mode but I can’t remember where exactly but it may be in the custom power curves documentation on the app or the website.

I think Turbo gives max assist from the start to max speed. There’s nothing more. There is a graph somewhere showing the response curve for each mode but I can’t remember where exactly but it may be in the custom power curves documentation on the app or the website.
You are correct! SteveBrough is thinking in terms of speed when it kicks in versus in terms of assist. The percentage can not be changed.
Does anyone know if the default Turbo mode is the highest assist mode? Can a custom mode be configured with Nyon that offers a more aggressive assist than Turbo?
The only thing the Nyon custom mode does is changes the amount of assist level at a certain mph and you can change it from eco to turbo as example. Not edit the Maximum amount of assist at each level (i.e say I want 350% of turbo power}

You are correct! SteveBrough is thinking in terms of speed when it kicks in versus in terms of assist. The percentage can not be changed.

The only thing the Nyon custom mode does is changes the amount of assist level at a certain mph and you can change it from eco to turbo as example. Not edit the Maximum amount of assist at each level (i.e say I want 350% of turbo power}
Thanks, no I fully understand how it works and was just wondering if the default turbo is max assist at all speed milestones or is there further performance headroom. I have the Nyon and was wondering if the custom mode add-on was worth checking out; in my case it is not.

Thanks, no I fully understand how it works and was just wondering if the default turbo is max assist at all speed milestones or is there further performance headroom. I have the Nyon and was wondering if the custom mode add-on was worth checking out; in my case it is not.
Buy a throttle! :)

Okay my apologies! Well at least you still have the gps mode!

Okay my apologies! Well at least you still have the gps mode!
Unfortunately I don't think the Nyon GPS prioritizes routes over bike lanes here in NYC, will likely need to create routes in another app and export, or just use my phone still for navigation. I'd be mad had I paid for the Nyon upgrade.

I don't know how well google maps routes through NYC using the bicycle icon. If routing using google maps works for you getting that route into your Nyon is pretty easy. Just copy the URL in the address bar of your browser and past it into the following web page: https://mapstogpx.com/ and then save the resulting GPX file to your desktop.

Final step is to go to your dashboard in ebike-connect.com click on Route Planning and then in the menu that drops down click on Import gpx Track, select the file you just left and save it on your desk top. The next time your Nyon is turned on and grabs your wifi connection, an update will be automatically sent to your Nyon and that track is there until you delete it.

I don't know how well google maps routes through NYC using the bicycle icon. If routing using google maps works for you getting that route into your Nyon is pretty easy. Just copy the URL in the address bar of your browser and past it into the following web page: https://mapstogpx.com/ and then save the resulting GPX file to your desktop.

Final step is to go to your dashboard in ebike-connect.com click on Route Planning and then in the menu that drops down click on Import gpx Track, select the file you just left and save it on your desk top. The next time your Nyon is turned on and grabs your wifi connection, an update will be automatically sent to your Nyon and that track is there until you delete it.
Thanks for the tip, that's what I figured. Just perplexed a bike nav appliance doesn't do this out the box, from what I've read the open maps platform has bike lane data but no route Ive searched for uses them. For my use case I actually lost a feature (working USB charge port) in switching to Nyon from Kiox.

Thanks for the tip, that's what I figured. Just perplexed a bike nav appliance doesn't do this out the box, from what I've read the open maps platform has bike lane data but no route Ive searched for uses them. For my use case I actually lost a feature (working USB charge port) in switching to Nyon from Kiox.
It is way easier to create a route on a computer with a decent size screen, a keyboard and a mouse. A small device with a touch screen is so much slower, less precise and cumbersome.

Personally I do not like using integrated lights or charging other devices off the bike battery. I like to save all the electrons in my bike's battery for moving out.

I use a Knog PWR Trail up front that has a customizable series of light profiles that include several blinking modes that are way more visible in the daytime than a fixed, always on light. It also is a 500 mWh battery bank that uses usb to charge a phone far more adequately and quicker than the port on a Bosch display ever has. When in full night time mode it puts out 1,000 lumens.

I will use an integrated light at night, if need be and I know I can afford to spend the extra juice without inducing range anxiety.

Good information here about it on their website but much lower prices on ebay. When you google it there are better purchase options too.

It is way easier to create a route on a computer with a decent size screen, a keyboard and a mouse. A small device with a touch screen is so much slower, less precise and cumbersome.
Except when it isn't like on a smartphone! And its not the speed and power of my phone that enables this but a correctly tuned back end to actually route over infrastructure built just for me and this mode of transportation. If I search the Intrepid museum and plot a route from Brooklyn, the fact that it doesn't choose NYC's preeminent bike trail along the west side highway, where the Intrepid is docked, is mind boggling. Fluid exploratory biking in a big city sadly precludes a nice keyboard/mouse/computer
Personally I do not like using integrated lights or charging other devices off the bike battery. I like to save all the electrons in my bike's battery for moving out.
a good philosophy that sadly applies to integrated GPS navigation for me.

Will likely just get in the habit of bringing a Bluetooth helmet speaker and choosing routes on my phone and listening for turn-by-turn. Nyon GPS will be a backup/just in case option and can still plot my actual trip's metrics and can perhaps help out in more rehearsed/planned out travel excursions. I will experiment with the link you posted for such trips, thanks again!

Mapping has never been the Nyon's strong suit. It does a lot quite well but not everything. I actually prefer the mapping on the older Nyon version on my other bikes as it has greater visibility on the larger screen. It is big enough to get three rows of three fields on it too. The new one is brighter, more compact and a better match with my newer bike which is lighter, faster and sleeker than the Riese & Muller Delite Mountain. The touch screen on the new one is great when you are not riding but the old one had a joystick on both the Nyon and the left hand controller, which allowed you to move between screens keeping both hands on the grips. I guess nothing is perfect and choices get made that make some happy and others not so much. With the older version you had to customize your screens on the computer or the app. The new one allows you to do it on the device itself which I find way better.

IMO GPS is the selling point/differentiating feature for Nyon over Kiox; I would love to know if their underlying tech is even aware of bike lane data? NYC has spent billions to become more bike commuter compliant, I hope my bike is as well. I just spoke to US Bosch ebike support and they said between the 2 offices here in the US they have a single Nyon for reference, I literally facepalmed for them!

IMO GPS is the selling point/differentiating feature for Nyon over Kiox; I would love to know if their underlying tech is even aware of bike lane data? NYC has spent billions to become more bike commuter compliant, I hope my bike is as well. I just spoke to US Bosch ebike support and they said between the 2 offices here in the US they have a single Nyon for reference, I literally facepalmed for them!
I received a request for more info from the internal rep you just spoke with. My apologies for the lack-luster response you got from our newest hotline member. Being new and working remotely aren't the greatest combo. I will work with leadership on his team to ensure a better experience next time.

I don't know an exact number, but I'd guess we have approx. (20) Nyon's here with our North American team. 🥳

I got some more info from a colleague who is more familiar with NYC than I am. He pointed out that certain paths or trails may not show up because they do not allow eBikes.

He also asked what you had selected in the "route type" window?
1617216330984.jpeg

I am confused, but then I confuse easily.
In reading this thread from the beginning it seems the ability to customize the assistance levels can be done, but beyond that all the conversations seem to be about GPS functionality.
At some point I saw an estimate of $ 500 (I think US$), and then of course, there would be labor from my Dealer to install on Verve +2.
Am I missing something or am I just too dense to ask myself to leave well enough alone and just buy a Garmin for GPS if that is really that much more important to me than Google Maps on my IPhone cradle mounted on handlebar .........
At least for me, as a beginner eBiker, I think best spend $$ on old Cabernet
Just askin'.....

Back