Adjuting the power level in each assist mode using Bosch NYON

I had planned up upgrading from a Purion to Nyon on my Cannondale, but after finding out what it would cost (around $740 Can) I decided to stay with the Purion.

so would a nyon help me with this issue? I want the max amount of wattage i can put out but I loose speed because of it. if I am eco I can barily keep it at 20 or so I loose a couple mph average then I get in tour. but its hard to keep about 22mph in tour to get the same wattage. can the Nyon give me more speed in eco or less in tour?

so would a nyon help me with this issue? I want the max amount of wattage i can put out but I loose speed because of it. if I am eco I can barily keep it at 20 or so I loose a couple mph average then I get in tour. but its hard to keep about 22mph in tour to get the same wattage. can the Nyon give me more speed in eco or less in tour?
Nyon allows adjustment of all 4 assistance modes, but only within maximum stock parameters. In other words, you can't set it to give you more top speed than your factory limit (whether your eBike is assist up to 20 mph, or assist up to 28 mph.) It also cannot be adjusted to give you more torque than the DU was originally spec'd with. Below is a slide we use for training... if you look at the cell phone screen on the left, you'll see Turbo/Mode 4 defaults at the max. level of assistance, and all 4 modes taper down to where the graph ends at 25 km/h (EU model), which would be 20 or 28 mph in the States, and 32 km/h in Canada.

To answer your question, Nyon will allow you to adjust for more torque/support in Eco, or less in Tour.
1617314466494.png

not more speed I have 28 but I don't have enough power in eco to get to about 20 to 22 but too much power in tour were I need to keep it at around 23 to 24 to be able to put out the same wattage. I need a little more help in eco or a little less in tour.

That makes sense. Yes, you'd be able to use Nyon to adjust for that. You can move Eco up to be closer to Tour, or you can move Tour down to be closer to Eco. You can also fine tune different assistance levels at different speeds. For example: I keep my Eco around 50% support to start offer, but quickly taper to 25% at around 5 mph for very efficient riding, and carry the 25% till the final drop-off before 20 mph. I'll click up to a more supportive mode for hills, when carrying cargo, etc.

You could also leave Eco at it's normal start, and increase the support just at the higher speeds where you need a little bit more.

Very versatile in that regard.

Maybe I am just too old fashioned but spending 1/3 of the price of the bike in this upgrade does not compute. And I am a Tech lover ! Have every Apple toy made

With the Nyon you are not adjusting the factory assist modes (Eco, Tour, Sport/EMTB, Turbo) by name or by assist profile

What you are doing is creating custom assist modes. @fooferdoggie you can achieve what you are looking for in your custom mode by increasing the assist power of your lowest custom assist mode to be higher than that of Eco but lower than that of Tour. You can also have the extra assist occur at lower, acceleration speed or at higher, near top assist speed.

When you choose custom modes over preset modes, they are not identified by the same name but rather mode 1, mode 2 mode 3 or mode 4.

You choose and change which four modes you ride with (preset or custom) in the settings menu under my bike.

Last edited:
With the Nyon you are not adjusting the factory assist modes (Eco, Tour, Sport/EMTB, Turbo) by name or by assist profile

What you are doing is creating custom assist modes. @fooferdoggie you can achieve what you are looking for in your custom mode by increasing the assist power of your lowest custom assist mode to be higher than that of Eco but lower than that of Tour. You can also have the extra assist occur at lower, acceleration speed or at higher, near top assist speed.

When you choose custom modes over preset modes, they are not identified by the same name but rather mode 1, mode 2 mode 3 or mode 4.

You choose and change which four modes you ride with (preset or custom) in the settings menu under my bike.
hard to justify the cost though just for that. I find it hard to maintain higher speeds o the streets so thats why I asked. today I got the same wattage average going 25 on the bike path using turbo as I do riding tour in town on a good day. but if I am feeling better then tour gets me going too fast or I cant keep that speed up.

I am confused, but then I confuse easily.
In reading this thread from the beginning it seems the ability to customize the assistance levels can be done, but beyond that all the conversations seem to be about GPS functionality.
At some point I saw an estimate of $ 500 (I think US$), and then of course, there would be labor from my Dealer to install on Verve +2.
Am I missing something or am I just too dense to ask myself to leave well enough alone and just buy a Garmin for GPS if that is really that much more important to me than Google Maps on my IPhone cradle mounted on handlebar .........
At least for me, as a beginner eBiker, I think best spend $$ on old Cabernet
Just askin'.....
This can be a bad place to ask whether to mess with it or not. Lots of folks here are big time info dump sorts so they will try to talk you into it. You might find it interesting if you want to spend more time/money. I have the Purion that came with my Allant +7 and that, plus my watch and phone apps, does most of what I need. Only other info I’d like to have is cadence vs human power.

hard to justify the cost though just for that. I find it hard to maintain higher speeds o the streets so thats why I asked. today I got the same wattage average going 25 on the bike path using turbo as I do riding tour in town on a good day. but if I am feeling better then tour gets me going too fast or I cant keep that speed up.
  1. I like the mapping and turn by turn directions which I only use on occasion, in areas where I don't know the roads as well.
  2. I really like having all my ride data from the past three years of riding automatically uploaded, stored, compiled and available in the Bosch cloud.
  3. I like being able to use the custom ride modes on occasion but mostly use the preset modes.
  4. I really like having all the different ride data points custom arrayed on screen during my rides.

None of the above fully justifies the cost to me.

Having my heart rate monitor report to and being displayed on screen, with average and max heart rate also reported allows me to ride fast ,hard and with my heart rate controlled with either speed, effort or assist level.

Given how ebiking with this information so connected and instantly visible during every ride and the way it has improved my coronary health and overall fitness, it is worth every penny to me.

1. I like the mapping and turn by turn directions which I only use on occasion, in areas where I don't know the roads as well.
  2. I really like having all my ride data from the past three years of riding automatically uploaded, stored, compiled and available in the Bosch cloud.
  3. I like being able to use the custom ride modes on occasion but mostly use the preset modes.
  4. I really like having all the different ride data points custom arrayed on screen during my rides.

Having my heart rate monitor report to and being displayed on screen, with average and max heart rate also reported allows me to ride fast ,hard and with my heart rate controlled with either speed, effort or assist level.

Given how ebiking with this information so connected and instantly visible during every ride and the way it has improved my coronary health and overall fitness, it is worth every penny to me.
Understand.
While I am not as interested in the Tech and Health aspects of cycling as I am really into sightseeing with my Bride, I guess if I am concerned about HR I can glance at my watch....

I haven’t tailored my Allant and I look at my heart rate any time I want on my watch’s Outdoor Cycle app which maps, Total Time, gives me split times per mile, Average Heart Rate, Elevation Gain, and records general Weather stats. Plus more. Some day maybe I’ll need/want more info, but not yet.

Hey all,

Some great banter above. I just wanted to interject a couple facts. The Bosch Nyon Retrofit Kit retails for $366.50. The kit includes all wiring needed to upgrade a system....i.e. going from a Purion to a Nyon. This, of course does ynot include labor from your LBS.

To turn off the work voice and turn on the EBR member voice, 🤪, I really do like the Nyon on my personal daily bike. Something that @Dallant mentioned, one of my favorite features of the Nyon, and also available on the Kiox is the ability to see human pedal power vs. motor power and then to have that information averaged and logged in my eBike Connect App. Both of these displays offer great educational benefits to riders trying to understand a pedal-assist or hybrid motor.

I really like the mapping on the Nyon as well--I don't gravitate toward turn-by turn in any navigation service I use, even while driving, but I enjoy the touch-screen map.

I am also a big nerd on the custom riding modes---I have been using them constantly and it creates a very interactive feel of my Active Line Plus drive unit experience. With a new software update, there is also the ability to see your cost savings while eBiking. You input the fuel price in your area, your average fuel consumption (car) and the average electricity price. It calculates all three of these to give you a cool graphic on savings. I'll post a pic shortly.

Hey all,

Some great banter above. I just wanted to interject a couple facts. The Bosch Nyon Retrofit Kit retails for $366.50. The kit includes all wiring needed to upgrade a system....i.e. going from a Purion to a Nyon. This, of course does ynot include labor from your LBS.

To turn off the work voice and turn on the EBR member voice, 🤪, I really do like the Nyon on my personal daily bike. Something that @Dallant mentioned, one of my favorite features of the Nyon, and also available on the Kiox is the ability to see human pedal power vs. motor power and then to have that information averaged and logged in my eBike Connect App. Both of these displays offer great educational benefits to riders trying to understand a pedal-assist or hybrid motor.

I really like the mapping on the Nyon as well--I don't gravitate toward turn-by turn in any navigation service I use, even while driving, but I enjoy the touch-screen map.

I am also a big nerd on the custom riding modes---I have been using them constantly and it creates a very interactive feel of my Active Line Plus drive unit experience. With a new software update, there is also the ability to see your cost savings while eBiking. You input the fuel price in your area, your average fuel consumption (car) and the average electricity price. It calculates all three of these to give you a cool graphic on savings. I'll post a pic shortly.
I’m just not feeling the $366 + labor cost for this at all.
Where could I see the latest up-to-date comparison of the Bosch controllers?

The link below will take you to a fairly comprehensive comparison chart, but let us know if you are looking for something different.

Very helpful. Is the availability of the Kiox better than the new Nyon (which is delayed due to chip shortages as you pointed out earlier)? If yes, how does the cost compare?

I am upgrading from a Purion on a 2019 Domane+ so either the Kiox or Nyon is going to be a substantial upgrade.

Very helpful. Is the availability of the Kiox better than the new Nyon (which is delayed due to chip shortages as you pointed out earlier)? If yes, how does the cost compare?

I am upgrading from a Purion on a 2019 Domane+ so either the Kiox or Nyon is going to be a substantial upgrade.
Kiox availability appears to be good (50-100 units) in the US where I have visibility, but not sure about other regions. MSRP in the US is showing at $261.50, but exact price may vary based on source.

Kiox availability appears to be good (50-100 units) in the US where I have visibility, but not sure about other regions. MSRP in the US is showing at $261.50, but exact price may vary based on source.
Thanks. Any wild guess as to labor estimate converting Purion to Kiox? I know there were discussions about having to "drop the motor" converting Purion to Nyon. Not sure what that means or if it is the same for the Kiox. I'll also ask the LBS about installed cost to see what they say.

Thanks. Any wild guess as to labor estimate converting Purion to Kiox? I know there were discussions about having to "drop the motor" converting Purion to Nyon. Not sure what that means or if it is the same for the Kiox. I'll also ask the LBS about installed cost to see what they say.
Yep, best bet is to ask your LBS. Too many factors otherwise.

Back