Adjuting the power level in each assist mode using Bosch NYON

Since Purion is hardwired, and has no separate remote, it's a definite reroute of wiring to DU. I'll add that if upgrading from Purion, you will need the entire "aftermarket kit" with head unit, mount, remote, and DU wiring.

purion.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all,
Kiox, Smartphonehub, and "new" Nyon all use the same DU wiring harness and handlebar remote. Swapping between these (3) displays requires only the headunit and mount (for SPH this is combined) be swapped. The DU wiring harness and handlebar remote are not attached to each other, though you'll see in the pics that Kiox/SPH has them sitting together, and Nyon has then separated.

View attachment 73919
View attachment 73920
View attachment 73921

So the motor doesn’t have to be dropped to install new wiring when switching from the Bosch smartphone hub ?

You are correct, as long as we are only talking about Kiox, SPH, and new Nyon. All changes can be made at the handlebars, though it is highly-recommended that the dealer performs a software update any time a new component (display, battery, DU) is introduced into a system.

The ability to set custom ride profiles is a feature that has been available for the original Nyon since it was introduced in 2014. This, along with its other robust capabilities, such as GPS Navigation, complete automated data recording and uploading, ability to monitor heart rate and custom ride & fitness screens is the reason I had the smart phone hub removed and an Intuvia mount installed on my new Trek Allant+9.9S so I could mount a Nyon. It is by far the most complete, reliable and capable ebike display I have experienced. Although the new Nyon is more compact and has a touch screen and the locking feature, I am not eager to replace my gen 2 Nyon (the one with 8gb of map storage). It has been absolutely reliable.

This tutorial shows how to set custom ride modes on the phone app. It can also be done on the Bosch ebike connect web site.

View attachment 73889
I tried buying the upgrade within the Bosch app and I received a message "in app purchases not allowed." I recall something about this option not being available in the U.S. Any ideas? UPDATE: just changed setting for Bosch on my iPhone and it worked!

Last edited:
I was able to access the custom ride modes download and the topographical range estimator using the APP a few years ago. In the main page of the app click on the three dots at the lower right of the page, then select shop. It should work once you have set up your ebike connect account with Bosch. I do not see the modules on the google play store right now so it is likely a download direct from Bosch in which case you may have to enable an added permission on your phone to download an app from an "unknown source".

So is that a DIY kit? How much does that kit costs U.S.?
I would not do it as a DIY. GIven that there are some configuration switches in the Bosch firmware depending on new add-ons, it is worth it to have the authrorized dealer do the work of dropping the motor to route the cable and properly reseating the motor and then doing the software tweaks. It is probably about a 1 hour job for the bosch tech.

The ability to set custom ride profiles is a feature that has been available for the original Nyon since it was introduced in 2014. This, along with its other robust capabilities, such as GPS Navigation, complete automated data recording and uploading, ability to monitor heart rate and custom ride & fitness screens is the reason I had the smart phone hub removed and an Intuvia mount installed on my new Trek Allant+9.9S so I could mount a Nyon. It is by far the most complete, reliable and capable ebike display I have experienced. Although the new Nyon is more compact and has a touch screen and the locking feature, I am not eager to replace my gen 2 Nyon (the one with 8gb of map storage). It has been absolutely reliable.

This tutorial shows how to set custom ride modes on the phone app. It can also be done on the Bosch ebike connect web site.

Thank you @Alaskan for generously sharing your learning over the years.
There are a lot of riders here who benefited from your experimenting with the Nyon, Hurricane tires, Sram AXS, etc.

It is a shame that it took so long to get these displays to the US market but it is here now and commuters and high-mileage riders would benefit from this display immensely.

You are correct, as long as we are only talking about Kiox, SPH, and new Nyon. All changes can be made at the handlebars, though it is highly-recommended that the dealer performs a software update any time a new component (display, battery, DU) is introduced into a system.
@William - Bosch Team - is there any chance that Kiox users will see the ability to custom tune power output at some point in the future? Thanks

How much does that Nyon aftermarket kit cost U.S.?
Best to check with your local dealer or retail outlet for exact pricing. Our US distributor is not showing any stock yet, so I can't even give you a general estimate.

The Google is showing some options from European websites, with pricing in the EUR 340-400 range.

I wish I had a better answer for you.

I’ve had the new Nyon installed on my Cube last week and have only been out once due to the awful weather in the UK currently. I do like it a lot! The screen is very clear and theres a lot of info on the various screens. I’m just going through them and deleting what I don’t need. I wear a HRM when I’m riding and there’s a solid Bluetooth link between the Nyon and it. Only thing I’m missing is the ability to set a max heart rate and a warning when that’s exceeded (as on my Garmin Explore).
I’m hoping to go out today as the sun seems to be shining here at the moment!

I'm going to upgrade my Purion to a new Nyon display, but here in Canada I can't get one until February or March. :(

I’ve had the new Nyon installed on my Cube last week and have only been out once due to the awful weather in the UK currently. I do like it a lot! The screen is very clear and theres a lot of info on the various screens. I’m just going through them and deleting what I don’t need. I wear a HRM when I’m riding and there’s a solid Bluetooth link between the Nyon and it. Only thing I’m missing is the ability to set a max heart rate and a warning when that’s exceeded (as on my Garmin Explore).
I’m hoping to go out today as the sun seems to be shining here at the moment!

Thanks. Would you mind sharing some pictures?
This may help many other riders who are on the fence about purchasing this new Nyon.

Back