Adding ebike lights & a drum brake for an all weather commuter

Dewey

Region
USA
City
Arlington, Virginia
Figured I need to upgrade my converted Breezer Downtown if I'm to ride it to work everyday in all weathers so am looking at adding ebike lights that run off the battery, and a front drum brake so I can stop in the rain, the Breezer has a steel fork so should take the torque of the brake reaction arm. First step adding ebike lights, Grin Tech have a neat Anderson tap that goes inline between battery and controller but I need to convert my connectors to Anderson power poles. Step 1 today was replacing the connectors and...it's alive, phew. Hoping to try out the Anderson tap tomorrow with the lights. Asked my local bike shop for a quote on a Sturmey Archer XL-FD 90mm drum brake laced into a 700c rim.
IMG_2685[1].JPG

Last edited:
Front light works, yay. Rear light doesn’t so has to go back, boo

Attachments

• IMG_2690.JPG
    IMG_2690.JPG
    438.5 KB · Views: 397
Grin Tech said they would send me a replacement rear light and I wouldn’t have to return the dud, great customer service!

Discovered I had wired the Anderson tap incorrectly, purchased additional Anderson connectors & wired it up last night to the correct polarity, et voila front and back light are now working! My LBS are fitting the drum brake Thursday, looking forward to trying it out.

What got me thinking originally about fitting a drum brake was my experience riding DC bikeshare ebikes and pedal bicycles fitted with this brake, on the left is the Helbiz bikeshare ebike based on the (out of business) Genze 200 model with some minor changes including a Sturmey Archer XL-FDD dynamo hub, also fitted to a small number of Capital Bikeshare pedal bikes (maybe 200 out of the 4,500 fleet). Having ridden both bikes, and appreciating the consistent braking power in all weathers, I felt confident this was the best solution for converting the front rim brake on my commuter. I chose the XL-FD hub because having decided to fit ebike lights I didn't need the dynamo. Note on the left side of my fork you can see the clip to attach the drum brake reaction arm to the fork, whereas the Helbiz/Genze uses a purpose designed drum brake fork with a tab brazed-on to attach the reaction arm. There are after-market forks available with a brazed on tab to replace the clip eg a 700c fork for a quill stem available from the Netherlands, which I might look at for a future upgrade.

IMG_2927.JPG

Last edited:
... and a front drum brake so I can stop in the rain...

What the Deuce? Are bike drum brakes significantly different from car drum brakes?

The Enlightened Master has this to say: https://boards.straightdope.com/t/wet-brakes-question/168913/3

Back in the days of drum brakes, driving through a puddle would cause the brakes drums to fill with water. If you stepped on the brakes either while in the puddle or right there after, the brake shoes would press outward against water instead of the brake drum. The co-efficent of friction of water is very close to zero point zilch. In other words you had little to no brakes until the water had a chance to work its way out of the drum. This could take several seconds.

Are modern drum brakes waterproof? Or just superior in the wet to rim brakes?

What got me thinking originally about fitting a drum brake was my experience riding DC bikeshare ebikes

Hello, Neighbor!

I'm a DC native, but currently living in the untamed wilderness of Reston. Before moving out here we were at the River House across from Pentagon Row. Nice to "meet" you!

The Sturmey BLS 80 brake lever arrived from the UK and an ebrake sensor arrived from China about the same time. Fitted them this morning and took the bike for a speed run to see how the larger 4-finger lever felt braking from 20mph, much better than the 3-finger Deore lever I used previously, surer, stopped in a shorter distance, not grabby. Just need to glue the magnet on with silicone then I'm done. Looking forward to the down hill ride to work on Wednesday.

BLS 80.JPG

Last edited:
My Bafang mechanical brake levers arrived yesterday, and look nicer than I'd expected. Motor arrives today, and I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a custom 52v 18Ah battery. It's slightly larger than my original plan, but will still fit along the seat tube. Could be up and running by August 1, in time for a week at OBX!

Hope your ebike is ready in time for you to take a sunset ride, but even if it isn't bring a pedal bike anyway, we're taking a couple old Raleigh Sports and a trailer to ride around Colonial Beach for a 3-day break next week. Perfect for flat land no-hurry cruising.

Say, how was your experience with Grin Tech? I'm thinking about ordering the Boy's hub motor from them, and sent an email on Friday outlining the requirements (no PAS, no display) and a rim that will take a 20" Plus tire. Haven't heard back yet, but hoping to today.

Grin right now are crushed with orders, they will get back to you - Justin LeMire-Elmore helped me troubleshoot my light problem, though perhaps after a week or so and maybe after a reminder. I still recommend them, just need to be patient.

Don't plan on starting his build until we're back from the beach, so happy to wait. Thanks for the information!

Bike as of December 2021 with new EM3EV battery

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 202
Just dropped off the bike at my LBS to have fitted a new fork with drum brake braze-on tab I bought from the Netherlands, new taller stem, and to replace the Nexus-8 IGH with an Enviolo Cargo CVT. Going to use bikeshare while it's in the shop.

The shop completed the work, new fork, stem, and Enviolo Heavy Duty hub my shop ordered from QBP
B25123FC-ABEE-4434-928C-A393B640DAF5.jpeg

C781A611-3903-4BA1-883A-4817734733AD.jpeg

650F317F-2B15-41B7-BA16-DE3CD4C03D2B.jpeg

6911EA5E-37FE-42C2-A307-F4857D7C6A30.jpeg

Last edited:
Back