Acoustic Alternate / Backup Bike

jpa2825

I am considering buying an acoustic bike as an alternate / backup for when my 2019 Domane+ is unavailable. I just put 2 new wheels on the Domane+ (DT Swiss HE 1800 Spline 32 - 700 12 x 100MM on front and 700 12 x 142 on the rear) and due to supply chain issues everyone is facing, it was in the LBS for a long time.

I have a Conduit+ as a backup currently so I was able to keep riding but I was thinking about getting an acoustic backup even before this repair. Really want to compare the difference.

What I was thinking was if I could find an acoustic where the wheelset was compatible with the Domane+ it would also serve as "spare parts" so that this same problem wouldn't occur again. Moreover, if I could find something compatible but narrower / more "racy" it would give me the option to switch them out for big / long rides or important trips.

From a compatibility standpoint, I would need to consider cassette, disc brakes, chain, durability (what may work on a light acoustic might not be heavy duty enough when switched over to the 50 lb. Domane+ [with a 210+ lb rider]), etc. Other things I might not be thinking of? Reasons this is a bad idea? Suggestions for "off the shelf" v. pre-owned?

Any thoughts / suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have something similar: Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0 (light carbon road bike) and a Cannondale Topstone Neo Lefty 3 (gravel ebike with the Bosch gen 4 motor).
I've been riding the Defy since 2018 and bought the Lefty 3 last year.
So far my Lefty hasn't been off the road for any length of time, so I haven't been putting a lot of miles on the Defy, but I do enjoy getting out on it, especially for group rides.
I have to admit when it comes to choosing which bike to ride I almost always go for the ebike. If I had to replace my Defy with another bike it would probably be another ebike.
Having a motor has spoiled me. 😄

Thought I would get more suggestions on a compatible bike as a backup. Maybe cross post to another Forum? Any suggestions?

I think you have become aware that you are asking about any brand of analog bike in a Trek specific ebike forum. You have already answered your own question, though, which is that you want a backup bike because you had trouble getting parts for your bike ... so the answer is any bike that you can actually buy right now that fits you physically and financially would be a good bike, if you really need such a bike. Just ride your Domane+ harder and faster and enjoy it more, and keep some spare parts on hand.

You did ask some good general questions, and what you want to do is more difficult than you think, which is what you need to know. The alignment of your rear derailleur to the position of your cassette and your brake calipers to your disc rotor position on your wheel needs to be within a fraction of a millimeter aligned. You will not be able to just swap wheels without all this adjustment. I have a second set of wheels for my Domane+ HP and as they are different brand of hubs I have 0.2mm thick shims stacked in different increments at each of these places. I do this because I have stronger wheels with knobby for gravel, and the stock wheels with road specific tires for road. So you will have to do the same to match, then tune the second bike around the wheels that then match the first bike. If you bought a second set of the same wheels or most importantly built on the same hubs, then you have a better chance you don't need these shims or that they aren't even within range where shims can work (too many then you don't have enough thread engagement on the lock washers).

I can't not say this: Your best backup for a 2019 Domane+ in my opinion is a 2021 Domane+, or maybe even the other way around!

My son just built his own acoustic bike. He was able to order everything from Amazon and Ali Express. Total cost of everything including tools, came to right around $1100.00. It is very light coming in around 23 lbs. He has turned into quite the bike mechanic and today he took it on its first trail ride in Palm Desert. He has also used it on some Uber eats deliveries...

Attachments

• acoustic.jpg
    acoustic.jpg
    440.1 KB · Views: 229
My son just built his own acoustic bike. He was able to order everything from Amazon and Ali Express. Total cost of everything including tools, came to right around $1100.00. It is very light coming in around 23 lbs. He has turned into quite the bike mechanic and today he took it on its first trail ride in Palm Desert. He has also used it on some Uber eats deliveries...
Very cool. A project that you learn a ton from and end up with a product you are proud of - great combination.

I am considering buying an acoustic bike as an alternate / backup for when my 2019 Domane+ is unavailable. I just put 2 new wheels on the Domane+ (DT Swiss HE 1800 Spline 32 - 700 12 x 100MM on front and 700 12 x 142 on the rear) and due to supply chain issues everyone is facing, it was in the LBS for a long time.

I have a Conduit+ as a backup currently so I was able to keep riding but I was thinking about getting an acoustic backup even before this repair. Really want to compare the difference.

What I was thinking was if I could find an acoustic where the wheelset was compatible with the Domane+ it would also serve as "spare parts" so that this same problem wouldn't occur again. Moreover, if I could find something compatible but narrower / more "racy" it would give me the option to switch them out for big / long rides or important trips.

From a compatibility standpoint, I would need to consider cassette, disc brakes, chain, durability (what may work on a light acoustic might not be heavy duty enough when switched over to the 50 lb. Domane+ [with a 210+ lb rider]), etc. Other things I might not be thinking of? Reasons this is a bad idea? Suggestions for "off the shelf" v. pre-owned?

Any thoughts / suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Ideally you should look for a backup acoustic bike that has a wide range of tire width & size compatibility.

Off the top of my head almost every Surly bike fits that bill with many of their bike frames able to handle widths of 1.4-2.8 inches or more and 650b/700c.

Back