Accessories that didn’t work out?

Selle is selling imitation steel rails? I'm glad my Selle royale respiro was stolen, then.
I'm riding a Evo cruiser 260 mm x 218 mm saddle now. $32 whole dollars. 5 months down, no problems. But I'm only 160 lb these days. Was 162 lb on the selle. Foam was too hard on my hips; took it off & parked it in the garage.
ya silly me that two ounces I saved on TI was worth it (G) but find a different saddle it was about 1/2 the price so I could buy two as I need to change her seat post out for a regular one to tow the grand kid around.

r a month with no flat (mostly on pavement) then found it flat in the garage one morning. Took the tube out to examine and found nothing anywhere but remembered I’d used a patched tube. I put a new tube in and from then on, no flats or leaks. In the last two weeks we’ve been out west riding on lots of fine/heavy gravel, grass, pavement and pretty heavy rock. I’ve been very happy so far and have not messed with letting air out. Keeping tire pressure at 30 psi generally when I usually kept them at 40 w/o Tannus.

FWIW…Ok, so back to this thread with a thought or two about Tannus Armor, discussed earlier in this thread. I put a set on my Allant+7 several months ago with Schwalbe G-Ones (rear only) that I’d had 3 flats in a year with. Got a set put on my wife’s Allant also.
I went well over a month with no flat (mostly on pavement) then found it flat in the garage one morning. Took the tube out to examine and found nothing anywhere but remembered I’d used a patched tube. I put a new tube in and from then on, no flats or leaks. In the last two weeks we’ve been out west riding on lots of fine/heavy gravel, grass, pavement and pretty heavy rock. I’ve been very happy so far and have not messed with letting air out. Keeping tire pressure at 30 psi generally when I usually kept them at 40 w/o Tannus.
I added the Slime Smart tubes when I replaced the worn out knobbies with Schwalbe Marathon MTB Plus tires , and of course the Tannus Armours. The Marathons have the most flat protection available and they run faster and smoother at 2.25" but they do not handle the rough going and the wet as well as Magic Mary in a 2.4" or 2.6" or the stock Maxxis at 2.8" I reasoned that I only do about 10% or less of my riding on tough trails so I should use tires that suit the other 90% of the time. I also carry a can of Vittorio Pit stop MTB. Hey if there is anything else out there let me know ,and I will probably incorporate it (-: I do have a bag of stuff to repair flats too ,but I almost never end up carrying it unless I am riding with a group.

Sadly, I had to revive this old thread to add another product to the list:

I purchased this Spurcycle Original Bike Bell from REI:

I was led to believe from reviews, including a couple here on EBR, that it was louder than the Crane bell I already use but it just wasn't true. I liked the sleek compact look and pleasant tone of the Spurcycle but, the larger Crane bell is considerably louder at a third the price.

I didn't mind paying the $69 price at first since the highly rated Spurcycle is designed & assembled in the USA from high quality materials. I rarely have any issues with products sold by REI and I really wanted it to work out but unfortunately, I had to return it.

I'm sure this quality made bell would work fine for some but to me, where I ride, volume is everything.

I bought my wife a Garmin Varia radar after reading a few positive reviews (along with the negatives ones) and she tried but had no interest in continuing to use it. I tried it in conjunction with my Sena Bluetooth helmet ( which we both like very much ) and found it also of no real value in my riding environment. It sits in the box in a drawer. Also we have 3 Crane bells that we love but my wife also has this weapon of mass destruction.

I bought my wife a Garmin Varia radar after reading a few positive reviews (along with the negatives ones) and she tried but had no interest in continuing to use it. I tried it in conjunction with my Sena Bluetooth helmet ( which we both like very much ) and found it also of no real value in my riding environment. It sits in the box in a drawer. Also we have 3 Crane bells that we love but my wife also has this weapon of mass destruction.
Both, Crane and airzound here. The airzound will wake up the dead.

I purchased this Spurcycle Original Bike Bell from REI:
I bought two or three $5 knock-offs on ebay because I liked the sound. The problem I have with most bells like this is that the sound requires a snappy release on the clapper mechanism, and it doesn't happen when you wear gloves. These bells were pretty useless in cold weather, as were the 25 cent throw-away bells with plastic clappers they put on many bikes.
Now I'm happy with the ding-a-ling bells they sell at Walmart for 5 bucks.

I don't think louder is better, it's rude and I do not want to make people jump or do something dangerous for them or others...
And you'd be correct in most situations. A bell serves me well 99% of the time. But when a dangerous situation is developing the Airzound wakes the cager up. Sometimes rude is a lifesaver.

I don't pass on trails if there's oncoming traffic, so sometimes I get too close to whoever is in front of me as I wait. Then it becomes too rude to ring a bell because that would be like asking them to step off. Only thing to do is call out and pass slowly.
I've had people freak out in front of me when they hear the bell. Now I think some of them are acting,

I don't think louder is better, it's rude and I do not want to make people jump or do something dangerous for them or others...
It is touch sensitive so you can tap it for a medium volume or blast it when you want to give an earlier warning. Rudeness is not built into the horn but rather the finger of the user.

I don't pass on trails if there's oncoming traffic, so sometimes I get too close to whoever is in front of me as I wait. Then it becomes too rude to ring a bell because that would be like asking them to step off. Only thing to do is call out and pass slowly.
I've had people freak out in front of me when they hear the bell. Now I think some of them are acting,
If you are right up behind them before you hit the bell you will scare them of course. This is exactly why a louder sound can be less rude since you can give an earlier warning which will often elicit a thumbs up or thanks.

"HEY WATCH WHERE YOU'RE GOING!"

Sometimes louder is safer. Especially when the pedestrian forfeits their right to gentle handling by being a

Side note: Bikemanforu is a total gem of old YT videos. That horn is really good!

What made you and your wife stop using the Varia?

CO2 adaptor came apart. but it also tended to unscrew the valve stems so its been problematic. I liked the lever to adjust the flow. but having to screw it on caused way to many problems
IMG_1348.jpg

Side note: Bikemanforu is a total gem of old YT videos. That horn is really good!

It did nothing special that our mirrors could not do. I am always checking my mirror anyway and I never have to remove my eyeglass mirror from the bike to recharge it or even turn it on and off. Also it gives phantom alerts when there are no cars coming and misses cars that pull out from beside you etc etc....

It did nothing special that our mirrors could not do...

i get that some don't like the varia - that's fine, i don't like mirrors - but your statement is objectively untrue. i'm not aware of any mirror that flashes at oncoming cars at a different rate as they approach (which gets their attention far better than anything static) or a mirror that can beep or change color depending on the rate of closure of the vehicle behind you. the former helps the driver see you, the latter helps you hear the car, which a mirror cannot do.

Back