Abus Cafe Lock Advice for Vado

I bought this Abus lock to secure my bike when I make a quick stop and don't want to go through the whole rigamarole of wrestling my bike and u-lock to a pole. It works great. The lock is well made, and I love the convenience of gliding up, jumping off, locking up and walking away. Get the Abus tightening straps if your frame doesn't have the necessary screw holes.
Which one did you get? I am thinking of one more deterrent. Although, if I forget it is engaged, I guess you can damage spokes?

Which one did you get? I am thinking of one more deterrent. Although, if I forget it is engaged, I guess you can damage spokes?
I suppose it is possible to damage the spokes, but you would have to be really trying as your bike won't gain much speed in the 2 or 3 inches you can travel before hitting a spoke with the frame lock engaged. Based upon advice I saw here on this forum, I also purchased a set of ABUS locks keyed to match my Vado 3 through Propel. Working with Propel was easy and, although I had to wait a month for the locks to be made and shipped, they showed up right on schedule and they all work perfectly. I purchased the 5950 Cafe lock and a chain to go with it, based upon previous posts showing this should be an easy bolt on. Some guys had to dremel the openings in the lock mounting plate, but mine bolted right up with no problem. I chose the 5950 so I could use the same key as my battery and the Bordo 6000 alarm folding lock I also bought. The 5950 has virtually the same specs as the 4950 and mine went on quickly and easily. They all work great together, although the folding lock does take a little practice to work with as it can be finicky and I have accidentally set off the alarm as a result.

Last edited:
I suppose it is possible to damage the spokes, but you would have to be really trying as your bike won't gain much speed in the 2 or 3 inches you can travel before hitting a spoke with the frame lock engaged. Based upon advice I saw here on this forum, I also purchased a set of ABUS locked keyed to match my Vado 3 through Propel. Working with Propel was easy and, although I had to wait a month for the locks to be made and shipped, they showed up right on schedule and they all work perfectly. I purchased the 5950 Cafe lock and a chain to go with it, based upon previous posts showing this should be an easy bolt on. Some guys had to dremel the openings in the lock mounting plate, but mine bolted right up with no problem. I chose the 5950 so I could use the same key as my battery and the Bordo 6000 alarm folding lock I also bought. The 5950 has virtually the same specs as the 4950 and mine went on quickly and easily. They all work great together, although the folding lock does take a little practice to work with as it can be finicky and I have accidentally set off the alarm as a result.
Thanks. Well, I have a Creo which does not have a battery lock. So I guess either model would work. I've read about problems attaching the lock to the rear but folks have jury-rigged around the issues. I'm just looking to prevent the easy grab. I've gone into a coffee shop or similar and while keeping an eye on the bike through the window, there is the distraction of ordering and again when paying. So those brief moments can be just enough to allow THEFT!!! And if you know any biking groups, there's always another story of bike theft in moments.

I can second working with Propel. Great customer service and slick online tool for ordering. Link below.

Thanks. Well, I have a Creo which does not have a battery lock. So I guess either model would work. I've read about problems attaching the lock to the rear but folks have jury-rigged around the issues. I'm just looking to prevent the easy grab. I've gone into a coffee shop or similar and while keeping an eye on the bike through the window, there is the distraction of ordering and again when paying. So those brief moments can be just enough to allow THEFT!!! And if you know any biking groups, there's always another story of bike theft in moments.
Have you considered Ottolock for those quick stops?
have you considered Ottolock for these quick stops. Light, flexible, and inexpensive. It can be combined with heavy duty lock (Abus Bordo folding) for longer stops.

I'm one of many people who have taken advantage of the Specialized Spring Vado 4 sale. Within this forum there are a number of threads that touch on Abus Cafe Lock and Vado's.

Perhaps I'm a dim bulb, but I'm not seeing what exact model of Abus Cafe Lock fits a Vado 4? Most everyone is saying that some sort of adaptions are required. Is that the case? If it is the case, and adaptions are required, then what Abus cafe lock is the one to get?

Then next question. The Abus website is zero help and my LBS had no idea what I was talking about? How do you order and acquire an Abus cafe lock that is keyed the same as the Vado 4 battery key.

Thanks in advance for your help!!
I have a 2021 Como. my tires are 2.3" wide. I could not find a cafe lock with opening big enough to go over tire and fender. I consulted with bike distributor in Holland. He told me that the 4650L would fit. I ordered it as the opening where the licking rod is..is 3". It came yesterday, fits and works great. Also has hole for the accessory cable or chain which I have for my other bikes. I ordered the Abus straps as my bike does not have the screws to bolt in onto the frame. It only took 2 weeks to get it. Hollandbikeshop.com

I'm one of many people who have taken advantage of the Specialized Spring Vado 4 sale. Within this forum there are a number of threads that touch on Abus Cafe Lock and Vado's.

Perhaps I'm a dim bulb, but I'm not seeing what exact model of Abus Cafe Lock fits a Vado 4? Most everyone is saying that some sort of adaptions are required. Is that the case? If it is the case, and adaptions are required, then what Abus cafe lock is the one to get?

Then next question. The Abus website is zero help and my LBS had no idea what I was talking about? How do you order and acquire an Abus cafe lock that is keyed the same as the Vado 4 battery key.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Back