Abus Cafe Lock Advice for Vado

Mr. Max

I'm one of many people who have taken advantage of the Specialized Spring Vado 4 sale. Within this forum there are a number of threads that touch on Abus Cafe Lock and Vado's.

Perhaps I'm a dim bulb, but I'm not seeing what exact model of Abus Cafe Lock fits a Vado 4? Most everyone is saying that some sort of adaptions are required. Is that the case? If it is the case, and adaptions are required, then what Abus cafe lock is the one to get?

Then next question. The Abus website is zero help and my LBS had no idea what I was talking about? How do you order and acquire an Abus cafe lock that is keyed the same as the Vado 4 battery key.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

I'm one of many people who have taken advantage of the Specialized Spring Vado 4 sale. Within this forum there are a number of threads that touch on Abus Cafe Lock and Vado's.

Perhaps I'm a dim bulb, but I'm not seeing what exact model of Abus Cafe Lock fits a Vado 4? Most everyone is saying that some sort of adaptions are required. Is that the case? If it is the case, and adaptions are required, then what Abus cafe lock is the one to get?

Then next question. The Abus website is zero help and my LBS had no idea what I was talking about? How do you order and acquire an Abus cafe lock that is keyed the same as the Vado 4 battery key.

This is what I received from Abus when I asked the same question. Not easy. My LBS has no clue either.

Thank you for reaching out to us concerning our Key Alike services. Currently we are able to Key Alike locks with a X-Plus or Plus key. You would have to place this order with a local bike shop. The shop would order the locks through our US distributor Highway Two or our Canadian distributor Cycles Lambert(HLC).
There are two options:
1. If you already have a X-Plus or Plus key, you can use the current key code to order a lock with the same code.
2. If you do not have an ABUS lock already, you can purchase one and have the second special ordered to match.

We are not able to "re-key" a lock that is already owned.

There are also two caveats:
1. A Plus lock can only be keyed to another Plus lock and an X-Plus lock can only be keyed to an X-Plus lock.
2. There is a 10% additional charge on the special ordered lock. This covers the labor and shipping from Germany.

I’ve attached two pdf’s. The first shows the options for Plus keyed locks. The second is a pdf order form that you and the shop can use to order the locks. The turnaround time for an order is about two to three weeks.

By 'cafe lock' I assume you're referring to what the Abus website calls frame locks; https://mobil.abus.com/uk/on-road/Locks/Frame-Locks ?

There are two fit considerations for an Abus frame lock;

1. It needs to have a wide enough throat to clear the Vado fender, and

2. The slots for the mounting bolts don't exactly match up with the Vado frame inserts.

I found that the Abus 4960 has the minimum throat width to clear the fenders.

I was able to modify the lock's widest mounting slots to correct the mismatch between the lock and the Vado inserts. YRMV

This is what I received from Abus when I asked the same question. Not easy. My LBS has no clue either.

Thank you for reaching out to us concerning our Key Alike services. Currently we are able to Key Alike locks with a X-Plus or Plus key. You would have to place this order with a local bike shop. The shop would order the locks through our US distributor Highway Two or our Canadian distributor Cycles Lambert(HLC).
There are two options:
1. If you already have a X-Plus or Plus key, you can use the current key code to order a lock with the same code.
2. If you do not have an ABUS lock already, you can purchase one and have the second special ordered to match.

We are not able to "re-key" a lock that is already owned.

There are also two caveats:
1. A Plus lock can only be keyed to another Plus lock and an X-Plus lock can only be keyed to an X-Plus lock.
2. There is a 10% additional charge on the special ordered lock. This covers the labor and shipping from Germany.

I’ve attached two pdf’s. The first shows the options for Plus keyed locks. The second is a pdf order form that you and the shop can use to order the locks. The turnaround time for an order is about two to three weeks.
I wasn't able to find a bike shop nor an Abus lock dealer that could order keyed alike locks. I use separate keys for the Vado battery and frame lock.

My 5.0 came with a card for the keys. Wonder if you could order directly through abus and give them the key card numbers to key alike.

It sounded cool to have fewer keys, but I think I'll take the path that Sierratim took and just get the Abus 4960. It's only $39 on Amazon.

I was thinking about reaching out to Court's friends at ElectriCity bikes in DC. It sounds like they know the answers.

But there's so much craziness going on in the world right now, I'll take the path of least resistance and add another key to my life. Thanks everyone!! I really appreciate your help!

Oh Sierratim, how hard was it to widen the holes on the 4960? Is the steel on the lock soft enough that you can just drill it? Thanks in advance!

By 'cafe lock' I assume you're referring to what the Abus website calls frame locks; https://mobil.abus.com/uk/on-road/Locks/Frame-Locks ?

2. The slots for the mounting bolts don't exactly match up with the Vado frame inserts.

I was able to modify the lock's widest mounting slots to correct the mismatch between the lock and the Vado inserts. YRMV
I am not as technical as @Sierratim and couldn’t get the holes on the frame lock to match so I returned it.
I also could hear the rattling sound which turned me off.

Oh Sierratim, how hard was it to widen the holes on the 4960? Is the steel on the lock soft enough that you can just drill it? Thanks in advance!
I didn't drill. I used a Dremel tool as a grinder to mostly remove plastic from the lock. First, pick the pair of slots that have the greatest distance between the ends of the slots. Then grind away all the plastic at the end of the slots and check for fit on the bike frame. You're looking for a good alignment with the bike's threaded inserts. To get this I had to grind away a small bit of the lock's frame that becomes exposed when you grind the plastic away. This took a bit of time, the steel frame is quite hard. Patience paid off.

Next, find new mounting bolts. The Vado comes with a pair installed in the inserts. These have washer like shoulders at their heads making them bigger in diameter than will fit between the ends of the expanded slots and the lock body. Even with screws with 'normal' heads I had to grind away a bit of the lock's plastic body at the end of each slot to provide clearance for the screw heads.

When it looks good, do a test fit. Repeat above as needed. When the screws fit well, remove them one at a time and apply removable (blue) thread lock to the threads and reinstall.

You're done.

I also carry an Abus extension cable that 'plugs' into the frame lock allowing me to secure the bike to a fixed rack, etc.

This arrangement is good for a quick stop in a highly visible area. I use a folding Abus lock when I don't have these conditions.

Ride on.

The 5750L has several nice features; an interior clearance (fender clearance) of 78mm - more than wide enough for the Vado, the anti-pick feature earning it a 9 of 15 Abus security rating, and the ability to be keyed alike. The 4960 has a narrower interior clearance but was just enough for the Vado. It can't be keyed alike. Its security rating is 7 of 15.

So why did I go with the 4960? Abus rates all their frame locks as "basic protection" and recommends a second lock be used with them. They both have 8.5mm diameter shackles so decent bolt cutters will make short work of either. They can both accept 'plugin' security cables/chains. I couldn't find any firm that could even order keyed alike Abus locks, and just enough fender clearance is enough clearance. On top of this, the 4960 is ~1/2 the cost. Left enough 'fun coupons' to buy that second lock Abus recommends without upsetting the spouse.

I wasn't able to find a bike shop nor an Abus lock dealer that could order keyed alike locks.
Abus rates all their frame locks as "basic protection" and recommends a second lock be used with them. ... On top of this, the 4960 is ~1/2 the cost.
You could contact the service team of bike24.
They do offer keyed alike Abus locks but I don't know if they do offer it for the complete Abus locks. Unfortunately you need a dealer as Abus doesn't offer a direct service for keying alike.

I get your point. For me the 5750L was +50% cost only.
I'm using Abus Bordo Granit Xplus 6500/110 lock as the real lock in addition if found necessary. But XPlus means it's not possible to have it keyed alike with the Vado battery lock which has the Abus Plus system.

Last edited:
If you have mild machining skills you can make an adapter plate that goes between the frame and the frame lock. Saw this in another thread.

Saw it as well. The post referenced a CNC at work, as I recall.

I also had to drill out the holes a bit to allow the 4960 to mount to my Vado 4. I also had the same problem on a Vado 5. Once I expanded the widest opening, I was able to get the cafe locks to fit. I gave up on the key problem though.

I salute your perseverance in fitting your frame lock. My guess is that the keyed alike feature works in Europe, not so much in N America.

I also got the 2020 Vado 4.0 on sale and bought the 4960 Abus lock not realizing there were different sizes and I had bought the lock on Ebay by selecting an "offer from a seller" which I had not done before. It was $30 and "new" not realizing there was almost $9 shipping so I tried to cancel the order which was not even completed yet and it said I couldn't because I had accepted the offer. Back to the lock issue I ordered a rotary tool just to grind the slots wider and spent an hour widening them to the edge of the plastic body but the diameter of the washers hitting the plastic body kept the screws from going wide enough to fit the locations on the bike. I read closer what Sierratim had to say above last night and ground away the plastic covering the body and that was enough to get it mounted. Thank you Sierratim.

Attachments

• Abus lock 1.jpg
    Abus lock 1.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 1,091
  • Abus lock 2.jpg
    Abus lock 2.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 903
  • Abus lock 3.jpg
    Abus lock 3.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 1,426
I also got the 2020 Vado 4.0 on sale and bought the 4960 Abus lock not realizing there were different sizes and I had bought the lock on Ebay by selecting an "offer from a seller" which I had not done before. It was $30 and "new" not realizing there was almost $9 shipping so I tried to cancel the order which was not even completed yet and it said I couldn't because I had accepted the offer. Back to the lock issue I ordered a rotary tool just to grind the slots wider and spent an hour widening them to the edge of the plastic body but the diameter of the washers hitting the plastic body kept the screws from going wide enough to fit the locations on the bike. I read closer what Sierratim had to say above last night and ground away the plastic covering the body and that was enough to get it mounted. Thank you Sierratim.
A bit of a pain in the neck I admit, but once it's done, it does look pro!...😎

Ride on!

Back