A2B battery chargers (Alva +/Shima). Where to get replacement?

eewhopp

I just had my A2B Li-ion battery upgraded to 36V 21Ah. However my charger is no good anymore and will not charge the battery. Does anyone know where to get a replacement charger with specific A2B Alva +/Shima model connections?

Thanks

Why exactly is your charger 'no good anymore' ?
Was it working previously, and the battery upgrade (was this getting it re-celled?) now somehow doesn't work with the old/original charger?

Or was the charger faulty to start with?

The charger has not been in working condition for years. I am just now getting the bike back on the road.

When I plug the charger into an outlet the Power LED turns on. When I connect the battery to the charger the fan does not turn on and the charging LED blinks yellow. Also the company I had replace the cells sent my charger back to me with the word BAD on it. EbikeMarketPlace in Las Vegas is the company that replaced my cells. The company did not diagnose the charger and could tell me nothing about its bad condition. Just that it did not charge.

The battery and its replaced cells are good. The battery has full charge and outputs 39Volts.

Also my charger was built in Taiwan and has a very uncommon connection port. The battery obviously has the same connection as the charger. I would buy a new charger but I cannot find the same connection ports ANYWHERE. It seems as though I will have to buy a new charger and manually replace its port with my old port.

Yes it was working a few years ago. The charger was NOT in working condition when I had the cells replaced in my battery.

Also I have heard through the grape vine that A2B went bankrupt and is now owned by HeroEco. It was said they are still producing bikes and parts but under a different company. Are you aware of anything like this?

Attachments

• IMG_20181221_114141763.jpg
    IMG_20181221_114141763.jpg
    429.4 KB · Views: 1,119
  • IMG_20181221_114152952.jpg
    IMG_20181221_114152952.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,319
The main charger body type has been used on a number of other bikes (by other manufacturers as well, e.g. Stromer), however your bike uses a Rosenberger connector. Again, a number of other manufacturers (usually high end!) ones, also use the same connector, however it is indeed tricky to find an exact replacement charger or even spare connector.

The two large center pins are obviously the power, however there are also smaller pins that MIGHT carry data (probably CAN bus information).
In something like a Bosch system, a data handshake needs to take place before the battery activates the main power terminals. I'm not 100% certain what the deal is with your A2B bike, which is why I was curious as to whether it worked before, and whether it had been recelled (and whether the recelling operation, also perhaps disconnected the internal data electronics perhaps so the charger was't recognizing it?)

However, I'm > 90% certain that you might still be in luck and the Shima/Alva battery can at least be charged by a third party charger (which doesn't have any handshaking electronics built in). You just need to provide the correct charging voltage to the two big power pins.
I'm afraid I can't point you to a cheap option offhand (although I'm sure they are out there somewhere), however I'm fairly certain Grin Technology's Cycle Satiator works, and they sell (or at least used to!) an adapter to allow a Rosenberger plug to be used.

Let us know how you get on!

Thank you so much for identifying the connection port. I will look into new chargers. The bike is in the shop now being looked at because the motor is not responding. The battery hooks in and the Display screen in between the handle bars lights up and has full function, meaning I can change the motor settings, look at the odometer, mph and such..

When I twist the throttle the engine does not engage, on ANY motor setting (it has 3). Also when I pedal there is no response from the motor.

I am wondering if this "data handshake" you speak of is not connecting correctly.

"EDIT" - I just spoke to my bike mechanic and he needs to speak to someone from HeroEco and has not been able to find a way to contact them at all. He says their phone number is dead. DO you know how or where we could get in touch with someone from Hero-Eco or A2B? I have googled both with no luck.

Thanks

Last edited:
I am wondering if this "data handshake" you speak of is not connecting correctly.

I don't know what, if any, data protocol your A2B bike uses, however I've got this feeling that they do NOT actually implement it for control purposes. They might use it for diagnostics, but in terms of charging and powering the bike, I suspect that if you've got the 36v present, then the the power is good. The fact that the head unit powers up indicates this is probably the case, so forget my comment about the data handshaking :) that's probably a red herring and the problem is likely elsewhere.

I'm afraid I can't help you with contact details. I've got a nasty feeling A2B/HeroEco are no more in the USA, and I'm not sure what the deal is over in Europe either.

I've got a nasty feeling A2B/HeroEco are no more in the USA
I have no personal knowledge, but Ann M. on the A2B forum said that this company is no longer operating in the US, and have no provisions for bike owners to get parts.

Back