96v 300ah battery pack anyone?

Flatstone

Hello

So I'm going to duck down a bit, I'm actually doing a car conversion BUT before you move on, my question relates to e-bike batteries.

I've seen e-bike battery packs for sale which are 48v 59ah with built in BMS. Could these be connected together in s2p2 format to give me 96v and 100ah (or preferably s2p6 for 300ah)? These would be massively smaller in weight and dimensions than conventional prismatic cells and cost less too.

Everyone I ask in the EV forums shake their head shout lithium fire and just say use prismatic cell, but give no reasoning. I'm fine with it being a dumb idea, but reasons would be nice.

Thanks for any help.

You may want to contact these people, they can probably assemble any size you require
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

You may want to contact these people, they can probably assemble any size you require
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I contacted Boston power but they aren't taking any orders. Not sure if it's going out of business. The assembly kits look great. Shame you can't just but the kits and do it yourself. I found the swing 5300 batteries on aliexpress and they aren't a bad prices. I can't find any details of their chemistry however, they say they're safe, but don't they all say that.

Thanks again for the info.

A quick estimate says you're looking for twelve battery packs, and 50AH would be around 13Sx16P ( 208 cells). If quality cells cost around $4 each, you're looking at almost $10K in batteries? However, ebike batteries are built for bikes. I bet there isn't much demand for 50AH bike batteries where the cells alone weigh 22 pounds and the package is around 10x12 inches. too unwieldy to fit in most bikes. You might be getting some shrink wrapped packs of dubious mechanical/electrical integrity from some chinese outfit.

I might ride my bike using cheap batteries, but I'm not putting other people and vehicles at risk if it blows up. I can bail.

If I were serious, I'd talk to these guys. http://www.allcelltech.com/index.php/products/multi-cell-blocks4

I I had a 300 AH 96v battery, I could drag it around my summer camp on a wagon and cut down trees with a sawzall and an inverter. Currently I use an ax more than 300' from the trailer, since chain saws are made for stout European/African bones (My arm/leg bones are Native Am and I don't want to break them like relatives did).
Lithium polymer cells are supposed to be amazing and state of the art, but I had a 350 AH Sears dihard lead acid battery once about 50 lb and 14"x8"x10". My new 15 AH 48 v bike battery is 12"x7"x7" and weighs 12 lb. They say lithium is more dense than lead-acid and those numbers don't compute. Where is the beef?
What I hate about lead-acid, after they took the antimony out with the debut of the Pennys no-maintenance battery, they sulfate and lock up if you don't use them for months. Which means my tractor, lawnmower & cruise only cars, need new batteries every year. Cars that are driven daily or at least weekly, the batteries last 6 or 7 years. Charging 2 hours daily didn't help, discharging with a headlight daily and recharging daily on another timer didn't help either. I need 350 CCA to start a diesel tractor or a V8, where is lithium in that market?My 48v 15AH bike battery has max discharge of 30 amps. And cost $435 versus $27 for a 12 v 15 ah? lawnmower battery.
The fact lithium needs balancing as cell management is another inhibitor. My dell laptop needed a new $150 lithium battery that had 8 contacts to the cells for management. Didn't happen, I just do without PC when I'm away from home. My new btrbattery bike battery 48v 15 AH allegedly has a PC board inside the case for management, but there is no LED or visible sign, and I don't know what the board actually does- stop the charge before a fire occurs, maybe? Act like an internal blown fuse when problems occur?
BTW the 15 AH 48 v bike battery is LiFePo4, not Li polymer. Allegedly, wikipedia says, LiFePo4 has more charge cycles, and no fire risk, for a little less density. We'll see I'm carrying the thing in an aluminum rack on the front like a gallon of milk. It doesn't have to fit between my legs, be easy to install, and easy to steal. What is unusual, it shipped in at 49 v and an hours charge with a 3 amp charger got it to 50 v. another 30 minutes got it to 58.8 v where the charger shut off. I didn't want that much, really, 100% charge is supposed to be bad for lithium batteries. Don't even know yet if the controller will accept 58.8 v.

Last edited:
Back