9-months owner review of my 2017 IZip E3 Protour (tips for solar charging?)

edwinr

I've probably put in more than 1,500 miles in my 2017 IZip E3 Protour that came with the COBI tech since I got it about 9 months ago. Almost 90% of those miles, I was towing my dog trailer. Keep in mind, my dog is about 125 lbs and my little one, he's about 20 lbs. Count their weight, their trailer and my weight of 185lbs, my bike is tugging some hefty load. So far though, I have to share that I'm very impressed with the build quality. The motor have not let us down and we've been through many terrain including rain, mud, hot, cold and heavy winds. The bike also handles well in high winds especially in turbo mode. It cuts through like a knife, and I am getting about 20 mph with all that weight too!

I've also cycled through dark - and the LED lights are fantastic. I was able to see far probably, about 10 cars ahead. It's super bright. The Rear signal light I was also very surprised, it lasted a long time about 6 hours in one single charge with the rear light being turned on most of the time (not flashing). I also like the fact that when I turn my bike on, the LED headlight and Rear light comes on automatically. This is the new update that I received from COBI. Speaking off, I used the COBI about 60% of the time, usually when I'm out urban cycling and have to park my bike and activate the alarm. The alarm works excellent. I have had two incidents where strangers attempted to take my bike and the alarm went off. I always have the ABUS and the ulock on as well. That gives me peace of mind with triple protection. Moreover, the hydraulic disk brake is excellent. We've gone through many downhill grade, most of them were off pavement, and so far I have not tuned it up once. It brakes fast and easy. Also, the saddle I was surprised how comfortable it was. I have not had any issues on having a sore butt.

The built-in rear rack I think is also a great benefit. It can hold about 40 lbs of weight. I have my small dog (20 lbs) attached on the left side, while on the right side, I have my panniers which weights about 10 lbs. So far so good, no problem there and no rattling noise either. Oh I also wanted to share, the Fenders are incredible. We've had heavy rain here in the San Francisco Bay Area recently - and the roads were pretty muddy, and the fenders were excellent in keeping the mud and dirt out of my jeans.

Last but not least, you are all probably asking - how's the battery life holding up so far? I've been averaging about 30-40 miles on a single charge. This is on either Level 1 or Level 2 assist mode. The only time I have used the Turbo mode was on high winds, or cycling over steep hills, or going over freeway overpass. But even then - I am still averaging about 30 miles including all the weight towing my dog trailer. When I'm not towing, I've been getting close to 50 electric miles on a single charge. Charging time have been averaging about 4.5 hours (from almost empty).

--If there is one thing I'd like to suggest to IZip or maybe this is with COBI - to have the rear light fully integrated with the battery, and also - when the brake lever is pressed, it would be nice to see the rear light flash steadily brighter since it's always on anyway. Another suggestion for IZip is to add a cover on the bike frame where the battery is located leaving a gaping hole on one side of the frame open. This I think could potentially damage the battery connectors when left outside . All in all, I think my 2017 IZip E3 Protour have lived up to its promise being reliable, fun to ride, and fast. And fun, we are having a lot of.

PS - I'd be interested in hearing your feedback or suggestions for ebike touring particularly, how you charge your batteries during camping travels using solar.

Thank you and Cheers!

Attachments

• 20190120_013628.jpg
    20190120_013628.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 411
Last edited:
I've probably put in more than 1,500 miles in my 2017 IZip E3 Protour that came with the COBI tech since I got it about 9 months ago. Almost 90% of those miles, I was towing my dog trailer. Keep in mind, my dog is about 125 lbs and my little one, he's about 20 lbs. Count their weight, their trailer and my weight of 185lbs, my bike is tugging some hefty load. So far though, I have to share that I'm very impressed with the build quality. The motor have not let us down and we've been through many terrain including rain, mud, hot, cold and heavy winds. The bike also handles well in high winds especially in turbo mode. It cuts through like a knife, and I am getting about 20 mph with all that weight too!

I've also cycled through dark - and the LED lights are fantastic. I was able to see far probably, about 10 cars ahead. It's super bright. The Rear signal light I was also very surprised, it lasted a long time about 6 hours in one single charge with the rear light being turned on most of the time (not flashing). I also like the fact that when I turn my bike on, the LED headlight and Rear light comes on automatically. This is the new update that I received from COBI. Speaking off, I used the COBI about 60% of the time, usually when I'm out urban cycling and have to park my bike and activate the alarm. The alarm works excellent. I have had two incidents where strangers attempted to take my bike and the alarm went off. I always have the ABUS and the ulock on as well. That gives me peace of mind with triple protection. Moreover, the hydraulic disk brake is excellent. We've gone through many downhill grade, most of them were off pavement, and so far I have not tuned it up once. It brakes fast and easy. Also, the saddle I was surprised how comfortable it was. I have not had any issues on having a sore butt.

The built-in rear rack I think is also a great benefit. It can hold about 40 lbs of weight. I have my small dog (20 lbs) attached on the left side, while on the right side, I have my panniers which weights about 10 lbs. So far so good, no problem there and no rattling noise either. Oh I also wanted to share, the Fenders are incredible. We've had heavy rain here in the San Francisco Bay Area recently - and the roads were pretty muddy, and the fenders were excellent in keeping the mud and dirt out of my jeans.

Last but not least, you are all probably asking - how's the battery life holding up so far? I've been averaging about 30-40 miles on a single charge. This is on either Level 1 or Level 2 assist mode. The only time I have used the Turbo mode was on high winds, or cycling over steep hills, or going over freeway overpass. But even then - I am still averaging about 30 miles including all the weight towing my dog trailer. When I'm not towing, I've been getting close to 50 electric miles on a single charge. Charging time have been averaging about 4.5 hours (from almost empty).

--If there is one thing I'd like to suggest to IZip or maybe this is with COBI - to have the rear light fully integrated with the battery, and also - when the brake lever is pressed, it would be nice to see the rear light flash steadily brighter since it's always on anyway. Another suggestion for IZip is to add a cover on the bike frame where the battery is located leaving a gaping hole on one side of the frame open. This I think could potentially damage the battery connectors when left outside . All in all, I think my 2017 IZip E3 Protour have lived up to its promise being reliable, fun to ride, and fast. And fun, we are having a lot of.

PS - I'd be interested in hearing your feedback or suggestions for ebike touring particularly, how you charge your batteries during camping travels using solar.

Thank you and Cheers!

There have been a couple of recent posts on off grid charging you might find helpful:

https://electricbikereview.com/foru...amping-away-from-110v-grid.26474/#post-178041

and

https://electricbikereview.com/foru...ed-with-solar-panels.13951/page-2#post-173219

Lots of useful information.

There was a race from Lyons, France to Guangzhou, China in 2018. All ebikes, all solar. I followed one of the participants, Jack Butler, on his YouTube channel. He's got some great videos. It's not a how-to on using solar power to charge an ebike, but you would pick up some valuable pointers from a guy who rode over 7000 km with solar power.

Unfortunately, solar charging an eBike battery isn't practical. You would need to carry a huge solar panel for a 36V or 48V battery, and it would probably take all day to charge even if you lived in the desert (which I do). On cloudy days, nothing.

I agree, it would be a really good idea if we had taillights that got brighter when the brakes were applied, just like on a car or on a motorcycle.

I found this easily enough on a google search. The only downside is that the brake light feature only works for 5 seconds, which I don't like. If someone is good at soldering, it should be easy to hook a small switch to the brake levers, like the switches that are probably already there on an eBike for throttle assist mode, and hook them to an aux light on the rear for a brake light that would stay on as long as you held the brake lever in.

https://www.amazon.com/Keni-Wireles...t=&hvlocphy=9030450&hvtargid=pla-574552893252

Last edited:

Some state parks (OR, WA) and provincial parks (BC) have "hiker-biker" campsites and some of those have charging stations where people can charge their electronics. You can generally charge your e-bike batteries there without a problem. The challenge is that not all parks have charging stations and it is fairly new so there isn't any good references on which ones have those charging facilities.

Some commercial campgrounds/rv parks are starting to cater to bike tourists and you wouldn't have a problem charging at them. My own experience is that the commercial campgrounds are more likely to have a secure place to park your bike as well. Some such resorts are off-grid and might not have power all night, so make sure you are charging your bike while the power is on.

Coin-op laundries and picnic shelters at public parks are my two go-to places for charging when on the road.

My Haibike Urban Plus with Cobi System and Tranzx Drive also has a B&M Toplight Line E tail light that's integrated with the brake lever and battery.

Some state parks (OR, WA) and provincial parks (BC) have "hiker-biker" campsites and some of those have charging stations where people can charge their electronics. You can generally charge your e-bike batteries there without a problem. The challenge is that not all parks have charging stations and it is fairly new so there isn't any good references on which ones have those charging facilities.

Some commercial campgrounds/rv parks are starting to cater to bike tourists and you wouldn't have a problem charging at them. My own experience is that the commercial campgrounds are more likely to have a secure place to park your bike as well. Some such resorts are off-grid and might not have power all night, so make sure you are charging your bike while the power is on.

Coin-op laundries and picnic shelters at public parks are my two go-to places for charging when on the road.

Great tips, thank you!
Unfortunately, solar charging an eBike battery isn't practical. You would need to carry a huge solar panel for a 36V or 48V battery, and it would probably take all day to charge even if you lived in the desert (which I do). On cloudy days, nothing.

I agree, it would be a really good idea if we had taillights that got brighter when the brakes were applied, just like on a car or on a motorcycle.

I found this easily enough on a google search. The only downside is that the brake light feature only works for 5 seconds, which I don't like. If someone is good at soldering, it should be easy to hook a small switch to the brake levers, like the switches that are probably already there on an eBike for throttle assist mode, and hook them to an aux light on the rear for a brake light that would stay on as long as you held the brake lever in.

https://www.amazon.com/Keni-Wireles...t=&hvlocphy=9030450&hvtargid=pla-574552893252

Thank you for your tips. Looks like the best would be to buy extra batteries during ebike touring. I saw a Youtube that a guy up in Sacramento was selling a portable solar charging. Can't remember the name but I remember price was way up there.

Back