750w. Fat Tire 20". Folding. Is there a "premium" option?

bridger

Region
USA
Hey all, newbie ebiker here in Idaho.

My spouse and I are getting ebikes to bring around the U.S. in a SUV, hit some parks, etc. Need folding, 20" compacts. (I'm familiar with and comfortable with that form factor after borrowing a Pedego 20" for a while.)

Sight unseen - but concerning to do so! - spouse is going to buy a Lectric 2.0.
Lectric brand looks to have a reputation firmly in the "beginner" zone, but the 2.0 seems to boost that reputation up a bit. Also supposed to have good customer service, other than the shortage/shipping issue going on right now.

Sight-unseen as well, I've kind of settled on ordering a Yamee XL.
Yamee looks like a "buyer beware" from a customer-service perspective, but the component specs are hitting above their class. Looks well made, but they don't often / quickly / or at all answer emails or chats I've initiated through their website and Instagram.

There's a lot of what look like the same factories making ebikes for a bunch of different brands (For instance, from what I can see, the Sondors is probably made by Yamee/Rattan to lesser specs, etc.)

Before I hit the "buy now" button, am I missing any bikes in this same form factor (folding, 3"-4" fat tire, 750 motor, hydraulic brakes, 8 speed shifter, etc.) that are more premium than the Yamee? Any that are just simply regarded as premium components, fit-and-finish, not just "well-known brand name, but in the end pretty much the same OEM'd Chinabike?"

Also, anyone have experience buying those brands through sources other than the factory website?

Indeed there are many . Consider a 26 inch ebike that folds and doesn't weigh a ton. Here's an example that I want to ride.

Indeed there are many . Consider a 26 inch ebike that folds and doesn't weigh a ton. Here's an example that I want to ride.

Definitely sticking with the 20" for size reasons. I checked out that brand but didn't see an option from them for a folding 20" fat tire model.

I went with this as my 1st ebike and have been super happy with it.

What do you mean by premium bike?

You seem like you're willing to pay good amount of $ for the right bike... is that the case?
I don't have a problem paying more when you GET more... but most of the bikes I'm seeing are rebranded Chinabikes that don't give you anything more. Like the Sonders has less premium parts than the Yamee, they look like they're made in exactly the same factory, but the Sonders costs the same or more/get less.

I know brands - for instance - like Specialized or Trek are super-expensive, and I'm making assumptions that you "get more" with those type of brands. But they don't have a folding 20" fat tire bike. It would be neat to see a mid-drive, premium shocked, high quality gear bike in that form factor, but it seems like either that form factor is all OEM'd-Chinabike or I'm missing that high end brand that has better features and motors and such (and that's what I'm asking about.)

Hey all, newbie ebiker here in Idaho.

My spouse and I are getting ebikes to bring around the U.S. in a SUV, hit some parks, etc. Need folding, 20" compacts. (I'm familiar with and comfortable with that form factor after borrowing a Pedego 20" for a while.)

Sight unseen - but concerning to do so! - spouse is going to buy a Lectric 2.0.
Lectric brand looks to have a reputation firmly in the "beginner" zone, but the 2.0 seems to boost that reputation up a bit. Also supposed to have good customer service, other than the shortage/shipping issue going on right now.

Sight-unseen as well, I've kind of settled on ordering a Yamee XL.
Yamee looks like a "buyer beware" from a customer-service perspective, but the component specs are hitting above their class. Looks well made, but they don't often / quickly / or at all answer emails or chats I've initiated through their website and Instagram.

There's a lot of what look like the same factories making ebikes for a bunch of different brands (For instance, from what I can see, the Sondors is probably made by Yamee/Rattan to lesser specs, etc.)

Before I hit the "buy now" button, am I missing any bikes in this same form factor (folding, 3"-4" fat tire, 750 motor, hydraulic brakes, 8 speed shifter, etc.) that are more premium than the Yamee? Any that are just simply regarded as premium components, fit-and-finish, not just "well-known brand name, but in the end pretty much the same OEM'd Chinabike?"

Also, anyone have experience buying those brands through sources other than the factory website?
Tern makes some very well speced and well respected folding bikes known of being both very durable as well as near the top of the class for folder rideability.

I went with this as my 1st ebike and have been super happy with it.

I would be very interested in your overall expereince with this vendor. Aside from some typical Reddit pooh-poohing, I have found nothing about the company, their products, logistics, or customer service. Right now their claim to fame is a large in-stock, ready to ship inventory of ebikes with some good components.

How was the expereience with these guys?

My experience was fine. They used a very slow shipper to get the bike to me (~1.5wk) but other than them being a middle man from china, no issues.

The bike itself has been awesome. Been modifying it quite extensively and riding it to work a ton. It's become my favorite mode of transportation in that regard & I'll take it 3/4 days a week.

Here's how it sits currently (before putting on the matching front street tire + other new modso_O)

4BC2501F-4CE1-41E4-8D7B-DCEA3E7CD36C.jpeg

I'm very happy with the bike and highly recommend it.

I hate those type of periscope handle bars. anything with more comfortable handlebars?

Back