750mi. report, Rize RX

DDBB

I got my RIze RX about six weeks ago and have now put over 750mi. on it. No failures to date but a few observations. The bike will run over 30mph with the throttle but I don't like using it do to increased drive train wear and increased battery drain. The 15 AH 52 Volt battery is good for a solid 35mi. on pavement with some moderate hills. I see no need for the optional piggy back battery to increase the bikes range. Others may want to get it. My chain is showing zero wear so far but I'm very easy on the shifts and try to stay in the correct gear for the inclines. I was expecting to have to replace the chain after 1,000mi.due to the torque of the bafang ultra motor. The bike runs out of gear when pedaling in 9th at 25mph or so, I'd love to find the correct chainring, spider, spacers etc. to increase the chainring from 44 teeth to 48 teeth but so far it's been a difficult search, especially with trying to find a chain ring protector that will work w/o modifications. If anyone knows of a steel chain ring that's 48 teeth and 130 BCD to fit the stock components, I'd love to see it. So far the motor has been as quiet as on day one. I'm told the motor should be disassembled and re-greased to prevent noise and wear but I've yet to hear anything different from the motor, I will probably take it apart this winter. The tires are Kenda knobbies and are somewhat loud on pavement. I've ordered Schwalbe moto X tires which have more of a pavement tread as replacements. It appears the rear tire is now about half way worn out already. I would say the quality of this bike is "average" it's not cheap but it doesn't use top shelf components either. It's quality is a notch below my Haibike trekking with Yamaha motor but it's still very competent and doesn't feel like it will fall apart. I think a bike capable of speeds over 30mph should have through axles instead of skewers and 4 piston brakes would be nice. That said, the brakes have more than adequate stopping power and are smooth and quiet. The headlight is "o.k." but I bought a handlebar mounted 1600 lumen fenix bike light which makes a world of difference except that it blinds oncoming traffic. The integrated brake light is nice to have and the rear light is quite bright. It took a little getting used to riding because the motor runs on for up to a second after you stop pedaling. I'm told this is "normal" and can't be tuned out with a CANBUS motor easily. I've adjusted to it and have no problem with it but at first that was a little intimidating. Our riding season will soon come to an end here in Northern Michigan but I've really enjoyed this ebike and I think the retail price of $2,899 was reasonable.

Back