700 x45 for pavement only . Any recommendations ?

e-boy

Specialized Nimbus 2 Armadillo Reflect ?​

Schwalbe Marathon Plus. As flatless as they come. Available in 47-622 and 40-622. Only an additional 1mm on each side seems likely to fit. If you want some articulation on your tread, the Marathon Plus Tour is out in 47-622 as well.

Since Specialized does not disclose the ETRTO, and both the 45 and the 47 can be considered effectively the same tire size, I have to wonder if they aren't the same once you get the thing on the bike and inflated. The Marathon Plus is very smooth-rolling. Also can handle an additional 5 psi.

How much weight is on the tires and how important is flat protection and sidewall strength?

Tires will be on an ebike riding pavement only that's used for grocery shopping with 2 panniers .
About 200 lbs .
Flat protection is important . Good on wet important .

I've heard the Marathon Plus was like riding bricks .
they are not soft for sure. I have 38s and they are on the harsh side and they tend to not be fast. once we f=got rid of them on our tandem we got back our deceleration and my wife sure liked the softer ride.

You might look at Snoqualmie Pass tires from Rene Herse .
I've read too many reviews of their lack of puncture protection .
Although I have a feeling it may be from improper tubeless prep / installation .

Specialized Nimbus 2 Armadillo Reflect ?​

What e-bike? I ask this question to understand why the 45 mm. I had the Nimbus 2 700x38 on Vado SL and while their puncture protection was certainly good, I replaced them with Specialized Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss for less rolling resistance and because they are suple. PPs come in 42 mm max.

2020 Giant Explore GTS e+4
I currently run Schwalbe Almotion 50 mm and need to switch to a new fork that runs 45 mm max .
Yes , I'd like lowest rolling resistance and max puncture protection in a supple tire .

Another tire option may be Continental Contact Urban 47-622 . Though it's not tubeless .

Continental Contact plus over 25,000 miles on old Vado 4.0/5.0 and 4,000 miles on Vado 5.0 igh and 6,500 on Vado 5.0 sl
Schwalbe Marathon E Plus 2,000 miles on Vado 5.0 sl
0 Issues

They're what you should expect for a tire that gives you the kind of protection and load capacity it does. And with that said, I didn't think they were bad at all compared to the Continental Contact Plus and Contact Plus City.

The Marathon Plus Tour is the same tire with some extra rubber on the outside to provide some tread articulation. That has the effect of giving you a tire that works better when the conditions go bad, and the extra rubber on the outside makes the ride smoother. Rolling resistance I am sure suffers, but this is an electric errand bike we are talking about here. You said "good on wet" and thats why I shifted to the Marathon Plus Tour - for the added confidence with loads and bad weather.

For certain the ride on the Continental Contact Plus was unforgiving. I used 37-622 on my Luna Fixed with custom DT Swiss wheels. Just a lightweight fun bike no groceries. I'd forgotten I had used them until @vado4.0 mentioned them. I also used the Contact City Plus for many, many miles on a cargo bike. They were totally flatproof and wore like iron. They also felt like iron. I wasn't happy with the ride on a cargo bike that regularly saw a lot of weight, to the point I replaced them well before they were worn out, after I think 2000 miles or so (and they looked great at that minimal mileage).

If you want to carry heavy loads you had better learn to love a thicker tire casing as thats part of the game. High pressure to maintain sidewalls, and thicker casing so the tire takes the hit and not your wheel underneath.

Marathon Efficiency or Conti Contact Urban.

Many of the tires people cite here are lower quality, heavy, or needlessly knobby.

Years ago I commuted to work on a cyclocross bike and in good weather I used Michelin race tires. I think they were Michelin Pro 3s or something I can't remember the name. In the fall and winter I used Marathon Plus tires and believe it or not my average speed was about 2-3 km/hr lower with the Marathons. Yes, they were brick like, heavy and slow. But I didn't worry about flats. Ironically I never got a flat on the Michelins either ................ but the Marathons lasted a really long time. In fact, I don't know how long they lasted because I eventually gave the bike to a friend who rode it a lot before he replaced the tires.

Years ago I commuted to work on a cyclocross bike and in good weather I used Michelin race tires. I think they were Michelin Pro 3s or something I can't remember the name. In the fall and winter I used Marathon Plus tires and believe it or not my average speed was about 2-3 km/hr lower with the Marathons. Yes, they were brick like, heavy and slow. But I didn't worry about flats. Ironically I never got a flat on the Michelins either ................ but the Marathons lasted a really long time. In fact, I don't know how long they lasted because I eventually gave the bike to a friend who rode it a lot before he replaced the tires.
... and , What was your friends name ?

This is coming from a relative newbie, so take it for what it’s worth. But:

I have the marathon E-Plus tires on one of my bikes now. They replaced the Smart Sam tires that came on the bike. I ride 90% road/10% improved paths through local parks.

I liked the Smart Sams; I *love* the Marathon E-Plus. Perhaps I simply don’t know enough, but I don’t find them to be like “riding on bricks” in the least. Rather, I find them very comfortable: more so than the Smart Sams and at least as comfortable as the Panaracers on my other bike. They’re also more than quiet enough on the road, and I haven’t noticed any detrimentally high rolling resistance.

Again, perhaps I just don’t have enough of a “discerning palette” - or, I guess, discerning rear end 😂 - yet by virtue of not having tried enough different tires for comparison, and my style of riding could also be quite different from others’ (for example: I’m neither interested in nor have occasion to ride at high sustained speeds for long stretches of time). So, I guess I’d go with what the more experienced folks here recommend. But for me, my primary priorities were (1) safety/grip in varied conditions (2) puncture resistance and (3) road noise. Based on those priorities, the folks at Schwalbe recommended the Marathon E-Plus; and personally, I really have found nothing but good things so far about them.

(I look forward to re-reading this in a couple of years to see if my opinion has changed!)

Last edited:
Back