7 Problems in 14 Days Ownership: 2021 Trek Domane HP Electrical Bike You Should Avoid At All Cost

I have about 500 miles on my HP+. I did have a motor drop-out issue when I took delivery (every now and then I'd hit a bump and the Kiox would turn off), which the shop was easily able to fix by adjusting the battery position. The dealer showed me the service bulletin from Trek for that specific issue. No other issues other than the usual derailleur tuning and tweaking the fit to dial things in.

It probably helped that the dealer's HP+ demo bike is also the manager's personal bike.

Btw I have a rattle noise I think up front somewhere on my Domane HP. At times I think it could be the front wheel or the disc brake and then other times I think it sounds like it could be the motor. This is on sharper bumps or rougher roads. I have just under 1400 on mine. Love it. Any ideas?

Check the nut on the valve stems or even secure the stem with some tape. I've had that be the cause of many mystery rattles.
Thanks for suggesting this. I too had a mysterious front end rattle I couldn't locate -- turned out it was a loose valve stem nut just as you suggested!

mrNoFluff,
I have had a Trek Domane HP+ since May 21st this year. In order to get this bike in my frame size, 58 cm I had to take a 5 hour drive to Albany, NY. Dealership is Steiners. I took my bike shorts, shoes and a set of Speedplay pedals to test ride the bike. I also asked the dealership to download all the latest software for the Kiox, Bosch motor, battery, and set up lights so I can select them on or off, as I ride. Got a printout of this software update too.
Dealer had bike charged and ready, set the seat tube at proper height, then I went for a short ride. Rear shifter wasn't working properly, took it back to this good bike tech, who was embarrassed that someone else in the shop hadn't adjusted it properly.
Took it for another ride. Had the seat angle adjusted . After third ride, put the bike in my car, and headed home, back to Northern Vermont..

I have over 500 miles on this bike now, some gravel roads, mainly paved roads and absolutely no issues. Nothing. I did remove the sidestand, so you can see the two holes on the rear fork.

P1090691.JPG

7 Problems in 14 Days Ownership: 2021 Trek Domane HP Electrical Bike You Should Avoid At All Costs.

The worst part is the Trek certified mechanics do NOT know how to work on the electrical bikes. I had to take my bike to three different Trek Corp own Bike shops to I found someone that can work on it.

Problems are as follows:

1. Engine Code Errors 550 and 503

2. Battery problems. Batter would not comes out and was stuck in body of the frame.

3. Front and Back lights shorting and cutting out problems (took to shop 3 times and problems still not fixed)

4. Rear derailer would not shift right, and to the bike to trek dealer 9 times and problem was not fixed.

5. Two Broken Spokes from same rear rim in 14 days of ownership. Had to walk long ways home with the kids because spoke broke 2nd time on July the 4th far from home. .

6. Hand-bar tape came off after first day ride.

I have had to go to the Trek Bike shop over 12 times now!

Its seam like I paid $7K and bought a headache! Thanks Trek!

Only reason I bought a HP is because I bought 2021 checkpoint sl5 and the buy was flawless and I was super happy with it. So I figure HP would be bug free like checkpoint but boy was I wrong! The HP has more bugs then cake has calories

Lastly, I have caught Trek Mechanic lying multiple times when they can not fix a problem, at two different stores. I even have proof in writing where Trek Mechanic lies about the "Fenders" not fitting because wrong size when the last Trek Mech install it wrong! I google it and know it was wrong what mech was saying after I got home.

Here is YouTube video of all the Problems

Sounds like a lemon. Have you tried exchanging it where you bought it? If not, start with the letter to Trek corporate and copy the dealership where you purchased. Sometimes a little squeak will get some grease...

mrNoFluff,
I have had a Trek Domane HP+ since May 21st this year. In order to get this bike in my frame size, 58 cm I had to take a 5 hour drive to Albany, NY. Dealership is Steiners. I took my bike shorts, shoes and a set of Speedplay pedals to test ride the bike. I also asked the dealership to download all the latest software for the Kiox, Bosch motor, battery, and set up lights so I can select them on or off, as I ride. Got a printout of this software update too.
Dealer had bike charged and ready, set the seat tube at proper height, then I went for a short ride. Rear shifter wasn't working properly, took it back to this good bike tech, who was embarrassed that someone else in the shop hadn't adjusted it properly.
Took it for another ride. Had the seat angle adjusted . After third ride, put the bike in my car, and headed home, back to Northern Vermont..

I have over 500 miles on this bike now, some gravel roads, mainly paved roads and absolutely no issues. Nothing. I did remove the sidestand, so you can see the two holes on the rear fork.

View attachment 101183
I removed my kickstand too. I will turn 1400 miles this week and I love it.

Sorry to see you're having so many problems with your new ebike.
Most regular bike shops are way behind the curve when it comes to working on ebikes. They sell them (some reluctantly) but many of them don't have the knowledge to fix them.
I'm glad my Cannondale Topstone Neo Lefty 3 has been reliable (3800km), because the closest Cannondale dealer (and the shop where I purchased the bike) is 180km from my house.
Wow, I don't have any experience with trek bikes, but I have ridden my Panasonic ebikes over 5000km, easily without any major problems.

When I did have a "problem" (shifting want working well), I simply took it to the closest BIC camera and they took a look and "fixed" it by cleaning the chain.

Come on man quit having us on! Your dealing with Trek and your "local bike shop" so none of these issues are even possible! This only happens with those online bike companies from china!

sorry i had to amuse myself lol, but seriously this sounds like more of an LBS issue than anything else.

You may think they don't, but I would love to have a kick stand on my Cannondale Topstone Lefty 3.
I get tired of having to prop my bike up against something when I leave it.
I'm a big fan of kickstands and you are absolutely right. I've just explained why most of roadies and MTBers don't use kickstands. (Weight and style for a road bike, danger to hit an obstacle, weight and style for MTBs).

I have to admit that I wouldn't know what I'd do if I had the option to put a kick stand on my 18 pound road bike.
On one hand I'd love to be able to use a kick stand, but when it comes to my carbon road bike I'm a weight weanie.

Thank you for the light info. I have a Allant+8S and the lights have never blinked from day one. I am away for the summer and will return home in 2 weeks. My LBS is very good and they will fix my lights. The kicker is that you say only the back light flashes. My buddy up here has the same bike and both the front and the back flash. He has never had his software updated since August 2020.
I’m going to ask for my light to be fixed and that I be given the ability to turn them off. When I bought the bike I asked about the ability to turn them off and he said something to the effect that Trek would not allow that. I thought about cutting the wires if not given the ability to turn them off and no see your post with a solution. I’ll update this reply after I visit my LBS in 2 weeks.
I received my bike back today. They did give me the ability to turn off my lights. They also changed out the rear AND front light in order to get my rear light to blink. They said there is a sensor in the rear light but also a “ brain” in the front light.
It took replacing the two to get the rear to flash. On some early models( a friend has one) both front and rear flash. New software updates have removed this feature for the front light. I have no idea as to why they did this. They told me that when my buddy gets his software updated he will probably lose the ability for the front light to blink.

Back