650b vs 700c Vado/Como

GuruUno

I've got 2 sets of 700c rims/tires as spares from my previous 2021 Vado 5.0.
The new Como/Vado 5.0's have 650b's.
I've read the benefits/detriments via Google search on the positive/negative of each.
Before I try a 700c swap on my 2022 Vado 5.0, I'd like to get some feedback from those of you who may have a higher level of experience as to the pluses or minuses of doing so.
I know from my past experience of the 2021 Vado with 700c and my current Vado (2022) with 650b's, but before I experiment maybe others can say yea or neigh?

Last edited:
I've got 2 sets of 700c rims/tires as spares from my previous 2021 Vado 5.0.
The new Como/Vado 5.0's have 650b's.
I've read the benefits/detriments via Google search on the positive/negative of each.
Before I try a 700c swap on my 2022 Vado 5.0, I'd like to get some feedback from those of you who may have a higher level of experience as to the pluses or minuses of doing so.
I know from my past experience of the 20212 Vado with 700c and my current Vado (2022) with 650b's, but before I experiment maybe others can say yea or neigh?
I guess I will ask: Will this affect speed and distance values in the computer/motor/whatever? Would it need re-calibration?

When I tried 650b wheels on my 700c bike they didn't last long because I felt that the sidewalls being taller flexed too much at speed on downhills. Part of that is because I ride mostly bad pavement and gravel and use psi in the low 30's, tubeless, for traction and comfort and couldn't get away with that low a psi with the 650b wheels so off they came.

When I tried 650b wheels on my 700c bike they didn't last long because I felt that the sidewalls being taller flexed too much at speed on downhills. Part of that is because I ride mostly bad pavement and gravel and use psi in the low 30's, tubeless, for traction and comfort and couldn't get away with that low a psi with the 650b wheels so off they came.
Interesting. The stock OEM Pathfinder tires on the 650b 2022 Vado 5.0 frightened me in a turn today at 20-25 MPH and I had to hit the brakes. Not a crazy turn but it felt like the tires were coming out from under me. I did not ever have that experience on the 2021 Vado 5.0 with 700c wheels/tires, so it might be a good evaluation/test to perform (for my analysis).

Reactions: JRA
Well, I took those 2021 Vado 5.0 rims with the nice "Stefan" tires and attempted to mount them on the 2022 Vado 5.0, and guess what? The hub is a different width. So, back to square 1.

Back