6'4" Rider - What Bike to Buy?

CaptainCrank

Greetings from the Windy City everyone!
I'd like to ask around what other, taller folks like and ride. I'm 6'4'' (around 215 pounds) with 35 - 36 inseam, my other bike is XL Specialized Hardrock (frame size 21').
At this point, I don't have a strong preference for type of the bike (city vs. fat tire, etc), I will be using it mostly for city driving work commuting.
So far I've found M2S All Terrain R750 with XL frame, Juiced CCS with XXL (22') frame, but I'm also open to veego 750 by Ride Scoozy.
I'd love what people say about 20' frame bike (IE: XL RipCurrent S); are those comfortable enought for daily commute?
My budget is about $2K (or so my wife says!).
Any help and insight would be appreciated!

Best regards,

Jerry.

I'd like to ask around what other, taller folks like and ride. I'm 6'4'' (around 215 pounds) with 35 - 36 inseam, my other bike is XL Specialized Hardrock (frame size 21').
At this point, I don't have a strong preference for type of the bike (city vs. fat tire, etc), I will be using it mostly for city driving work commuting.
So far I've found M2S All Terrain R750 with XL frame, Juiced CCS with XXL (22') frame, but I'm also open to veego 750 by Ride Scoozy.
I'd love what people say about 20' frame bike (IE: XL RipCurrent S); are those comfortable enought for daily commute?

Best regards,

Jerry.

I suggest you head to Kozy's and try some of the 2017 Haibikes that are on sale.
You're welcome to try mine.

You get the support of a local bike shop and help you with warranty. The bikes you mentioned, may not be of right size for you.

a 60cm frame of this bike: https://kozy.com/product-list/bikes-1000/electric-1038/

Would be a great choice for commuting.

and try some of the 2017 Haibikes that are on sale.

I have a Haibike 2018 and i think the Trekking is a bit large by size convention. I am 173cm and the *small* size (52cm frame) is on the brink of being too large. The steering stem has 3 shims, and I had to rearrange the stem 2 shims down.
-Compared to Merida bikes, their (Merida's) 52 cm frame is rated as medium.

Last edited:
I'm 6'3", 280lbs, size 14 shoe. I found I need certain features or had to add a few items to my Radrover to make it a comfortable single track and work commuter bike:

- upgraded the knobby Kenda Juggernaut to Vee8 120tpi 26X4 for a faster and more comfy (and way less knobby noise) work commute ride
- add larger pedals for my big feet
- adjustable stem to raise the handle bars for more upright riding position (less stress on lower back and reduce numb hands)
- front suspension forks or all that front tire vibration at +20 mph is absorbed in your arms, shoulders, and back w/ or w/o fat or plus size tires
- 400mm suspension seatpost (bodyfloat, Suntour, thudbuster). 350mm was a touch too short for my Radrover and cause knee pain. Zero pain with 400m seatpost
- larger seat (Sunlite Cloud-9 12.5X11.5 cruiser seat) for a more comfy work commute. Padded shorts are sometimes not enough
- rear rack+bag and/or panniers. I need to carry gear for the weather, work, lunch, and flat repairs.
- commuter back pack. Upright riding position helps with less stress on lower back if you have the backpack on. I have to take 2X the gear in spring/fall because it is near/below freezing in the morning and 50s/60s by afternoon.

I don't think and bike is perfect out the box for above average height/weight folks. Just need to factor in the options and prices for upgrades to meet your fun and work rides. I ended up spending around $500 above the Radrover $1500 price at the end of the day (not counting $550 for new platform rack for fat tire bikes also).

I suggest you head to Kozy's and try some of the 2017 Haibikes that are on sale.
You're welcome to try mine.

You get the support of a local bike shop and help you with warranty. The bikes you mentioned, may not be of right size for you.

a 60cm frame of this bike: https://kozy.com/product-list/bikes-1000/electric-1038/

Would be a great choice for commuting.
------------------------------

Thanks for the great tip!
I looked at the other brick-and-mortar guys, and their electric bikes were north of $3,500.
Will be stopping by their Halsted location later on this week!

Best regards,

Jerry.

I'm 6'3", 280lbs, size 14 shoe. I found I need certain features or had to add a few items to my Radrover to make it a comfortable single track and work commuter bike:

- upgraded the knobby Kenda Juggernaut to Vee8 120tpi 26X4 for a faster and more comfy (and way less knobby noise) work commute ride
- add larger pedals for my big feet
- adjustable stem to raise the handle bars for more upright riding position (less stress on lower back and reduce numb hands)
- front suspension forks or all that front tire vibration at +20 mph is absorbed in your arms, shoulders, and back w/ or w/o fat or plus size tires
- 400mm suspension seatpost (bodyfloat, Suntour, thudbuster). 350mm was a touch too short for my Radrover and cause knee pain. Zero pain with 400m seatpost
- larger seat (Sunlite Cloud-9 12.5X11.5 cruiser seat) for a more comfy work commute. Padded shorts are sometimes not enough
- rear rack+bag and/or panniers. I need to carry gear for the weather, work, lunch, and flat repairs.
- commuter back pack. Upright riding position helps with less stress on lower back if you have the backpack on. I have to take 2X the gear in spring/fall because it is near/below freezing in the morning and 50s/60s by afternoon.

I don't think and bike is perfect out the box for above average height/weight folks. Just need to factor in the options and prices for upgrades to meet your fun and work rides. I ended up spending around $500 above the Radrover $1500 price at the end of the day (not counting $550 for new platform rack for fat tire bikes also).
--------------------------------
Thanks! Good to know that 19' frame fat-tire bike may work as well!
My commute will be relatively short - about three and a half miles each way; good to know the upgrade details if I need them.

Best regards,

Jerry.

Best regards,

Jerry.
I'm 5'10", 32" inseam, and bought the Juiced Bikes CCS with the Large frame. It fits okay - just - I might have been happier with the Medium. I'd like a little more standover room when stopping at lights and such. YMMV.

Just my $0.02; I'm 6'3", 34" inseam, and WAS 290# last year. I went with a large-size 2015 HaiBike FatSix. I absolutely love the thing, but the fully-extended seat-post was JUST long enough to be comfortable; I THINK it's a 380mm. I ended up installing a 400mm dropper, and it's perfect now. It's extremely rugged, and has eaten up all the abuse I've thrown at it. I use it for both commuting and off-road; it's suited me superlatively. You might be able to find one in the mid-$2k range...I'm sure your wife wouldn't begrudge you that.

I'm 5'10", 32" inseam, and bought the Juiced Bikes CCS with the Large frame. It fits okay - just - I might have been happier with the Medium. I'd like a little more standover room when stopping at lights and such. YMMV.
Bruce, I ordered a large as well, and I'm 5'10" with 32" in seam as well. How close is the top tube when you have both feet on the ground? I am sure I could email Juiced to request a medium frame if I needed. I'm still waiting on a shipping notification. Thanks.

Bruce, I ordered a large as well, and I'm 5'10" with 32" in seam as well. How close is the top tube when you have both feet on the ground? I am sure I could email Juiced to request a medium frame if I needed. I'm still waiting on a shipping notification. Thanks.
Chris, I can stand flat on both feet without any body parts contacting the frame. Shorts or pants that are loose in the crotch will brush the top tube but that's not a problem.

Chris, I can stand flat on both feet without any body parts contacting the frame. Shorts or pants that are loose in the crotch will brush the top tube but that's not a problem.
Thanks for the info Bruce. I'll just stick with the large then. Appreciate the heads up.

I'm 6' 3" with a 35" inseam. I purchased the Magnum Metro+. It's a great bike, plenty big. I did have to put on a taller seat stem though. I only needed another 1/2" or so above the stock stem....but comfort on a long commute (35 miles) matters!

6' 2" 235lb guy here. Will I be happy with crosscurrent air or should I go with the XL S?
Using the bike for short commutes and just to have fun. Big guy like me need the performance of the S or will the Air do a similar job for me?

6' 2" 235lb guy here. Will I be happy with crosscurrent air or should I go with the XL S?
Using the bike for short commutes and just to have fun. Big guy like me need the performance of the S or will the Air do a similar job for me?
The Air and the CCS are very similar, especially with the most recent upgrades to the Air. The CCS comes standard with a larger battery, hydraulic vs. mechanical disc brakes, torque/cadence sensor, fenders, rack and lights. For several hundred $$$ less, the Air has much the same basic performance as the CCS, but without some of those nice additions that make the CCS such a superb ride. I don't think your size is that important in choosing between these two bikes. Just my take.

Back