6 weeks/200+ miles of CCS ownership!

mahajohn

Long before I ever settled on the CrossCurrent S as the ebike that best fit my performance and cost needs, I'd been researching ebikes for about 8 months. The CCS seemed to be the ideal ebike; I just needed to save the money. Money saved, I ordered the bike in November of 2017, and the box arrived at my home on January 9th. The box is very sturdy, the bike well-protected in transit, which is what matters. The assembly was straightforward, if a bit awkward in my tight 1BR living room, owing to the weight of the bike. I took it out on the road the next night, but very gingerly, as it was dark, winter, and wet. The power nearly frightened me.

Since then, I've taken it out on numerous rides, most in the 15 - 22 mile range, with one round-trip ride of 28 miles this past Sunday. It's performed beautifully and nearly flawlessly since then. I've had a single encounter where the battery became disconnected after a direct hit of my front tire in a pothole. Although I thought I really had the battery installed correctly...evidently not. So that's something about which you must be very conscientious. You shouldn't be able to remove it without the key.

I'm a bigger guy, so when I want to bike like a normal (but strong) mortal, the ECO level makes it feel like a very nice road bike with the slightest amount of pedaling assistance. I think. I've never actually been on a nice road bike, just OK mountain bikes and good hybrids. Anyway, if I want to get some good exercise and not tucker myself out over a long ride, it's ideal. I live in Washington, D.C., and even on ECO I feel comfortable riding it on the road along Beach Drive and Rock Creek Parkway, and can, with a great deal of effort, keep a consistent 23 mph, only about 6 mph faster than I might bike when going all out on my mountain bike (note again: I'm obese!). The battery consumption on ECO is fantastic as well. I completed a 60-minute 14-mile ride on Sunday (half the aforementioned 28-mile round trip), and my battery had only been depleted one tick on the 11-tick scale visible on the on-board computer. I used significantly more electrical energy on my way home, following the same route, but much faster, with more assistance (Level 2), and with the temperature having dropped around 20 degrees.

Levels 3 and 'S' are beyond amazing. An obese 40-something-old man is transformed into a skinny, strong, well-trained cyclist. While I've generally used the onboard computer's speed governor to limit my top speed (per District of Columbia ebike laws; 20 mph max. assistance), I've been able to shoot up the hill to my apartment (250 feet of incline over 2 miles) in about five minutes. I'm really pumping to do so, but the energy and oxygen expenditure is probably 25 - 40% of what it would usually take me. That used to feel like a slog. Now I'm outrunning those annoying idiots who drive below the speed limit, and uphill no less! Argh, slow drivers!

I've not experienced any mechanical problems as of yet. I still haven't been able to properly adjust the rear fender to my liking; when I received the bike it was installed in such a way as to prevent the free movement of the read wheel, and I have to adjust it every time I use the bike. I can't quite see why this is the case, but I've not exhausted possible adjustments that I can make without taking off the rear wheel. I now need to take it in for some professional adjustments, having really used it hard over its first 200+ miles, but that's par for the course with a new bicycle. My main purpose in buying this bike was to limit my car commuting for work, a 24 mile round-trip by car. It's 28 miles via bike if I take the safest routes, and now I feel absolutely confident that the CCS will get me to and from work. To able to bike along rivers, through woods and idyllic scenes of deer eating along the tree lines, and birds singing and flying in the morning mist, rather than *HATING* the too-slow driver in front of me, or inching along in start/stop traffic on D.C./MD/VA's notorious I-495 is practically miraculous, and I'd not be able to realistically accomplish this stress-reducing form of exercise without an ebike, at least not in my current shape.

In conclusion, my obese 40-something-old's experience with the CCS runs from feeling as though I'm riding a really nice bike and I'm still an 'o40-so', to 'I have a Porsche', to 'I'm a golden god' / I can fly via a technology so advanced as to appear magical / I am transcending time-space'. It's no exaggeration when I say that the Juiced CrossCurrent S is the single greatest material object I've ever purchased.

Welcome,

Attachments

• 02_13_17_ee71b131f3e7998c0545cb01e199726a.jpg
    02_13_17_ee71b131f3e7998c0545cb01e199726a.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 366
MahaJohn, you didn't tell us what battery pack you ordered. Nice review btw, glad to see you are enjoying your bike so much. I hope to order mine soon. I hate waiting on the IRS. Although after them, I have to wait on Juiced as the big battery is backordered until April. :(

I ordered the stock 12.4. I wanted to order the 17.5, but I couldn't swing it, and I really wanted the bike ASAP. I may buy the upgrade once the IRS comes through.

Thanks for your review, MahaJohn. Sounds like you're having a good time![/QUOT
MahaJohn, you didn't tell us what battery pack you ordered. Nice review btw, glad to see you are enjoying your bike so much. I hope to order mine soon. I hate waiting on the IRS. Although after them, I have to wait on Juiced as the big battery is backordered until April. :(

I also had problems with a crooked rear fender and found that it was caused by a crooked rear bike rack. Juiced sent me a replacement rack which was a little straighter, but still crooked enough to cause the rear fender to be misaligned. My solution was to cut a notch so that I could mount it off-center and thereby straighten the bike rack. I have not been able to ride my bike because of ice and snow to see if the off-center connection will hold or whether I will need to devise a more industrial solution.

Attachments

• IMG_2791[1].JPG
    IMG_2791[1].JPG
    733 KB · Views: 600
Did you have to remove the rear wheel and motor to remove the rack? I don't see any other way to do so. I did find that adjusting the two connections on the top of the rack so that they brought the fender up helped, but of course now the top back of the rack is even higher than it was, and it's all at an angle. Not sure this is ideal for placing stuff on the rack!

I also had problems with a crooked rear fender and found that it was caused by a crooked rear bike rack...

I didn't have to remove the rear wheel to remove the rear bike rack. I just unscrewed the lower bolts in the photo then made my cut as I depict in my previous photo. You can see now that the rear rack post is offset to the left in the photo. The other side is offset in the other direction to align the bike rack with the bike. This offset post may slip as I ride the bike. If so, I will have to devise a more industrial solution.

Attachments

• IMG_2914[1].JPG
    IMG_2914[1].JPG
    813.7 KB · Views: 593
My solution probably would have been a rubber hammer. I've straightened quite a few things that way, but loosening
the height adjustment screws & giving it a twist might have worked as well. Just snug 'em back once positioned. I centered
my fender with a slight bend in the stay.

Back