Trek Domane+ SLR 7 uneven weight distribution?

jpc

Region
United Kingdom
Hi All. I'm new here and wondered if you guys that own a domane+ slr can help with a question please.
Apologies if you think the question is irritatingly trivial, but it bothers me.
Question is not about the motor but about weight distribution of the bike.

I have just bought a Domane+ SL 7 size 58cm (on 17th August) which is still with LBS.
I had previously test ridden a Domane+ SLR 6 size 58 and loved it - it appeared lightweight enough to 'portage' and balanced and rode beautifully.

When I first viewed my new one at the LBS I noticed that it felt heavy (compared with memory of test ride bike).
I also noticed that it was front-heavy - i.e. noticeably heavier at the front when picking up vertically. The test bike did not feel 'front-loaded'.

Got the LBS to weigh my bike (no pedals) and it was 13 kg (29 lbs).
Trek's advertised weight (size 56) for SLR 7 is 12.6 kg (28 lbs) and,same size, SLR 6 is 12.4 kg (27 lbs) which is a bit odd as the 105 groupset is heavier that ultegra!

Queried this with Trek support who told me that they take the average of a number of weights taken on a particular day and the weights shown on the website are the average weights measured on different days. So, basically, 'not a guaranteed weight so live with it'.

Explains why the 2023 SLR 7 used to be 12.2 Kg and has now bloated to (actual average) 12.6 kg.
Interestingly there is a great review video from Victoria Bikes (Canada I think) where the guy says his bike (looked like a 56) he weighed at 12.2 kg - same as Trek web weight at the time!

Now, I know how averages work, some heavy, some light and that an average can be badly skewed by one 'extreme' measure.

So the weight difference now is 0.4 Kg (0.9 lbs) (but from 2023 web data 0.75 kg (1.7 lbs)) - ie noticeably more!

Ok, I am not a weight weenie and can accept I got a heavy batch and who cares about half a kg or 1 lb when you have an e-motor!

However, I am not so sanguine about the front-heavy, unbalanced feel when you stand mid-way between bars and saddle and lift vertically - the weight is definitely, and noticeably skewed towards the from (bar) end.
When I did the same with the SLR 6 the weight balance was firmly planted vertically where the motor is - as I expected. I would expect the same with the SLR 7.

So questions for you guys:
1. Are your bikes noticeably front-heavy?
2. Am I being too picky because this is my 'pension purchase' and a lot of money and overly worrying about buying a lemon?
3. Should I ask LBS to return the bike and get a replacement before I accept it?

To be clear, the LBS for not stick 350ml of sealant in the front tyre(!!!), standard tape and there's not much you can get wrong with the front of the bike!

I would REALLY appreciate your thoughts (not the one about 'what a dork') and, fyi, I am definitely going to buy the domane+ slr as its geometry is just uber comfortable!

I own a Trek Verve and I would say mine is more tail heavy. You are talking about 1 pound and unless that one pound is all at the front of the bike I’d say it shouldn’t affect the balance. I looked up the specs on Trek’s website and they show the 7 being a little over a half pound less than the 6. Why is yours heavier by over a pound than spec? Could be lots of reasons, the tires, frame size, other options. I’d also say the balance difference you feel is likely more of a perception on your part but maybe not. Your bike is very light weight compared to most e bikes.

So questions for you guys:
1. Are your bikes noticeably front-heavy?
2. Am I being too picky because this is my 'pension purchase' and a lot of money and overly worrying about buying a lemon?
3. Should I ask LBS to return the bike and get a replacement before I accept it?

To be clear, the LBS for not stick 350ml of sealant in the front tyre(!!!), standard tape and there's not much you can get wrong with the front of the bike!

I would REALLY appreciate your thoughts (not the one about 'what a dork') and, fyi, I am definitely going to buy the domane+ slr as its geometry is just uber comfortable!

2023 Domane + slr7, 4785mi
My retirement 7 has been a wonderful bike. Go ride these distracting thoughts and worries out of your head. Buyer's remorse gunna eat you up, keep you awake at night, distract you on rides.
1) I haven't gauged front/rear weight distribution across owned bikes over the decades, but no, it is not a noticeable or distracting trait of the 7. FWIW the extender battery on the slr will move the center of gravity aft.
2) Definitely too picky for whatever reason
3) Muted, no dork clause
Best to you :)

I think I detect some 'buyer's remorse'. ;)
I go through this each time I buy something expensive.
My advice: ride the bike and enjoy it and I suspect that remorse will soon disappear.

Back