Tire reccomendation

DDBB

I have a Rize RX that came with 27.5 x2.35 tires and the bike has fenders.. The tires are Kenda knobbies and howl on pavement. I'm looking for a tire that has more of a street tread in the same size that will clear the fenders. I found one set on amazon that's 27.5 x 2.40 but I worry those might rub the fenders

I bought Continental Traffic 2.1" from UniversalCycles.com 9/2/22. Have a thick enough tread to roll over the road trash, don't make the noise of Kenda knobbies.

On my Stance E I went from Maxxis Rekon to Continental Ruban (both tubeless) and am very happy. I hear good things about Johnny Watts as well...

How about a hybrid tire with side knobs around a much smoother center tread for mixed offroad and pavement, respectively?

20230306_083001.jpg

These are my ebike-rated 27.5 x 2.3" Specialized Crossroads Armadillos. The tracks show how the side lugs engage soft surfaces. The "Armadillo" indicates Specialized's highest level of puncture protection.

Alas, only one way to know for sure if they'll rub your fenders.

Last edited:
Schwalbe makes a Super Moto X tire in a 27.5" X 2.4" size.

Screenshot_20240905-012852_DuckDuckGo.jpg

,.. I found one set on amazon that's 27.5 x 2.40 but I worry those might rub the fenders

I think you'll be fine with that size.
That's only 1¼ mm bigger than your 27.5 x2.35 tires.

Take a look at the space between your fender and tire.
I'm sure that you've got a couple mm to spare.

How about a hybrid tire with side knobs around a much smoother center tread for mixed pavement and offroad?

I only miss side knobs when I do dumb shyte, like I did today. 😂

20240904_152210.jpg

My tires work great on pavement and trails, but they aren't made for ruts or muck. 😂

My tires have almost 3000 km on them and the rear tire barely shows any wear.
The front tire looks almost new.

Schwalbe makes a Super Moto X tire in a 27.5" X 2.4" size.

View attachment 181809

I think you'll be fine with that size.
That's only 1¼ mm bigger than your 27.5 x2.35 tires.

Take a look at the space between your fender and tire.
I'm sure that you've got a couple mm to spare.

I only miss side knobs when I do dumb shyte, like I did today. 😂

View attachment 181810

My tires work great on pavement and trails, but they aren't made for ruts or muck. 😂

My tires have almost 3000 km on them and the rear tire barely shows any wear.
The front tire looks almost new.
I too use Super Moto x tires and find them excellent on pavement. Also ride on dirt roads and some gravel and they're fine there. I have also found they wear very well and I ride a heavy e-bike. And as above poster stated, I doubt that the 0.05 inches will make a difference.

I really likes the looks of the super moto X... I see the tire has wires in the beads. How do I tell if these are compatible with my wheels? The specialized tire looks good too but slightly narrower, that might be good, less worry of fender rub

I really likes the looks of the super moto X... I see the tire has wires in the beads. How do I tell if these are compatible with my wheels?

You need to check your crotch. 😂

20240905_110931.jpg
Screenshot_20240905-111222_DuckDuckGo.jpg

A crotched rim has a concave in the center that you push the beads into to give you room on the other side of the tire to get the bead over the rim.

I can easily get my tire on my rim with just my hands by using the crotch.

A wire bead tire is stronger and less likely to blow off your rim, but it's heavier and doesn't fold up, so it's not really possible to carry a spare.
(Unless you put it around your neck and carry it like a handbag. 😂)

I can't find any specs that say what type of rim I have.. The bike is a Rize RX. Last thing I want to do is blow a hundred bucks on tires and have them not fit. I'm having similar issues trying to find a front chain ring with more teeth that will fit. I've contaced Rize about the chain ring and the tires but no repsonse yet

Last edited:
I can't find any specs that say what type of rim I have.. The bike is a Rize RX. Last thing I want to do is blow a hundred bucks on tires and have them not fit. I'm having similar issues trying to find a front chain ring with more teeth that will fit. I've contaced Rize about the chain ring and the tires but no repsonse yet

If you can find out if your original tires have a wire bead or not, it would help a lot.

BUT,.. Some tire and rim combinations are a HUGE PITA.

Maybe it's time to get a bike shop involved.

That might be your best bet.

Sometimes you have to heat the tire and soap it up and get two people involved, tools breaking, and a lot of four letter words to get a tire on a rim.

I think that generally that's with smaller tires and narrower rim widths though?

Sadly, no bike shop will touch the bike around here. There's a really good dino bike mechanic in town who tells me he can't work on my bike because his bike stand can't handle the weight. I used to be pretty good friends with this guy when I rode dino bikes. As soon as I got an ebike, he wanted nothing to do with me. Funny about the bike stand though, I bought a cheap one on amazon that handles the weight no problem. Ebike animosity is a real thing

Sad fact of life in the the direct-to-consumer ebike market: Many bike shops don't have the capacity or expertise or parts access to service bikes they didn't sell, some have insurance issues with ebike batteries in or around their shops, and some lack the expertise to work on the electrical side of any ebike.

They have livelihoods and assets to protect, so it's their call.

Maybe your buddy would help you if you just brought him the front wheel. Pay him for his time and expertise to point you in the right tire direction.

You could just let the air out of a tire and see what you've got.
You'll be able to see if you've got crotched rims and if you remove the tire you won't be able to fold it if it has a wire bead.

It would be good practice to see what you'll be in for anyway.

This video has a lot of good advice,..

Yeah, I've brought him wheels before and his first question is "is this off of an ebike?" Why does it matter? He put me off for truing a wheel for a long time because it was off of an ebike. I certainly understand why shops don't/won't work on unfamiliar brands but it seems there's also a bit of nose in the air attitude from dino bike shops, just say the word ebike and here comes the attitude. Thankfully I'm able to do a lot of work myself but compatibility issues are always a PITA. I've tried for hours to find a front chain ring that will fit. There are no markings on my chainring and so far Rize bikes has been unresponsive. I'm about ready to order a chainring and just HOPE it fits. LOL

Last edited:
Back