Schwalbe Smart Sam vs Johnny Watts on SUV bike

DTCsjoerd

Region
Europe
I finally decided to buy the: “CUBE STEREO HYBRID 120 RACE 750 ALLROAD” as i do really love the versatility of the bike. Ofcourse i will be taking it on some trails, but the reality is that 80% of the time i will be using it on paved roads as it will also be my daily bike for commuting.

The bike does come stock with Schwalbe Smart Sam tires which appear to be pretty off-road oriented. The Johnny Watts i found seem to be a little more in the middle of Urban/Off-road, but i dont know if the difference is big enough justify the extra cost .

Im curious to know if anyone here experienced both tires and is able to tell the difference to me? Are the Johnny Watts for example more quiet on asphalt? Or maybe the Johnny Watts 365 are an even better choice? Thanks in advance!

Schwalbe Smart Sam tires which appear to be pretty off-road oriented.
Not. These are excellent all-rounders. The central tread is made of small blocks of very hard rubber, making the tyre fast and pretty quiet on paved surfaces. Johnny Watts are equally good as all-rounders. Johnny Watts 365 are good at the temps below 10 C. I experienced all three tyre models (to be clear).

There is no reason to replace the good rubber with something very similar. Please ride the stock Smart Sams until they get worn (which will take a plenty of kilometres!)

P.S. Smart Sam is the most popular Schwalbe tyre of them all, and available in a big variety of sizes.

Not. These are excellent all-rounders. The central tread is made of small blocks of very hard rubber, making the tyre fast and pretty quiet on paved surfaces. Johnny Watts are equally good as all-rounders. Johnny Watts 365 are good at the temps below 10 C. I experienced all three tyre models (to be clear).

There is no reason to replace the good rubber with something very similar. Please ride the stock Smart Sams until they get worn (which will take a plenty of kilometres!)
Thats exactly what i needed to hear. Thanks a lot! 😁

@DTCsjoerd: Please read this review :) There is also a Johnny Watts thread.
People riding e-MTBs with aggressive Trail tyres (such as ones made by Maxxis) often find themselves in your position, that is, ride off-road a little. Johnny Watts (also 365) is their first choice to "urbanize" the e-MTB with 2.6" tyres. However, Smart Sams have been there before, and are a very popular choice.

Cube is the brand that provides excellent equipment for its stock e-bikes.

I have Johnny Watts on my Riese and Muller SuperCharger, and they are OK off the bitumen (mostly gravel roads, a bit of single track) but are neither 'fast' or 'slow' on the bitumen.

That said, I am considering when they will be due to be replaced trying Continental Race King ProTection tyres, which reportedly have lower rolling resistance.

The Smart Sams rolling resistance appears to be the same as the Johnny Watts going by Schwalbe's chart, so I am not sure you would get much benefit for the 80% of your riding swapping to them.

I have Johnny Watts on my Riese and Muller SuperCharger, and they are OK off the bitumen (mostly gravel roads, a bit of single track) but are neither 'fast' or 'slow' on the bitumen.

That said, I am considering when they will be due to be replaced trying Continental Race King ProTection tyres, which reportedly have lower rolling resistance.

The Smart Sams rolling resistance appears to be the same as the Johnny Watts going by Schwalbe's chart, so I am not sure you would get much benefit for the 80% of your riding swapping to them.
Well a thumbs up from me for the RaceKings. On road they are ok but then my bastardized 26er clunker rig with sweeps and cyclocross bar end friction levers is never going to be a speed demon on tarmac. But on gravel, wow, these run so fast. Even took the rig on some Red and Black single track trails at my local MTB centre. Amazing. Fast supple and so comfortable. Used be the tyre of choice for xc racing and you can see why.

IMG_2173.jpeg

Smart Sam’s appear to be more off-road based according to this summary.

There's a little secret in Smart Sams. As you are riding asphalt, the tyre remains fast and pretty silent. However, as you ride into a softer terrain, the big blocks, like, "sink" into the surface, greatly improving traction. Perhaps that makes Sams "smart" :)

Thanks for all the input guys! Im still not decided what to do. I’ve heard some stories about people being plagued with flats with the Smart Sam active version (which comes stock on my bike). I've also read that the grip on wet tarmac isn’t that great with them. After all i think the Johnny Watts 365 might be the best option for me. But i dont know if they are as silent on the road as the normal Johnny Watts, the threading does look way more aggresive.

Thanks for all the input guys! Im still not decided what to do. I’ve heard some stories about people being plagued with flats with the Smart Sam active version (which comes stock on my bike). I've also read that the grip on wet tarmac isn’t that great with them. After all i think the Johnny Watts 365 might be the best option for me. But i dont know if they are as silent on the road as the normal Johnny Watts, the threading does look way more aggresive.
All the three models are very quiet on paved surfaces. If you must, go for either variant of JWs, only bear in mind JW365 are specifically designed for the cold season. My brother rides an e-MTB with 27.5x2.6" wheels (similar to yours). He even has two wheelsets. For the warm season, he rides JWs. When temperature drops below 10 C, he swaps the tyres for JW365 and uses it almost for the whole cold season. Only when there is ice on the roads, he produces the spare wheelset with Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro tyres :)

As for me, I swapped Smart Sams for Specialized Pathfinder Pros (my e-bike has different wheels from yours). Then I found Smart Sams were a tad bit slower on the paved roads but they held perfectly in sand or mud... As I at times have to ride into a harsh terrain on that specific e-bike, I found Pathfinders to be totally incapable of handling the sand while Smart Sams rode through any rough surfaces (sand included) ideally.

Your post made me appreciate Smart Sams, and I will do the swap for them immediately after my holiday!

Among other things, Schwalbe rates their tires on puncture resistance and ebike compatibility. These deserve a look — especially on a daily commuter.

The "E" tire ratings for ebike use are standardized. Among other things, I've read that they look at how well the sidewalls stand up to credible total (rider+motor) torques at the rear axle. And sure enough, we've seen sidewall failure reports just in the last week or so. (See search function.)

Your mid-drive motor has a good bit of torque (85 Nm if I looked at the right product page). And the underdrive ratios in your lowest gears amplify both rider and motor torque at the rear wheel.

Last edited:
Back