2019 Gain D30 bike -- add Trio and/or ANT+?

justinz

Region
USA
Hi All,

Does anyone know if I can add BOTH a Trio (or Trio+) and ANT+ to a 2019 Orbea Gain D30?

I have a 2019 Gain D30 gravel bike w/ drop bars, and tho I've used it 2 years I can't stand the one-button Iwoc controller. My wife has a ~2019(?) F30 with flat bars and the Trio handlebar controller switch, so I'd like to add that. If I can have only one or the other (Trio or dongle), then I'll choose the Trio. Started my research believing I want to add both a Y-cable for ANT+ dongle AND then another y-cable for the physical Trio switch. But now I'm reading the manaul as that the Trio+ option has ANT+.

The manual for the ANT+ retrofit, install shows EITHER the dongle OR the Trio+ switch, but refers to the Trio+ as having ANT+ wireless connectivity and being able to connect to the LEV display. Sort of confusing.

Orbea officially calls the Trio switch option incompatible with dropbar I think only because of the handlebar physical differences -- 32mm vs 22mm diameter of the bar. I can fabricate a new housing, and if I use the base Trio and a dongle, since it's prob just a dumb switch--which is my guess--and make a clamp-on clone housing.

(Does Garmin pair via ANT+, vs bluetooth for the phone-App does, right? I have zero patience with phone apps requiring cloud accounts, or having to futz with a phone while riding, so I don't use the ebikemotion/Mahale App.)

I'm willing to do the dongle PLUS the regular Trio switch, say if I can daisy chain two y-cables. This would make it a bit easier to hack & fabricate a custom housing for the Trio switch that clamps around the 32mm drop handlebars, since the ANT antenna/dongle would sit inside the frame top tube,,, vs making a housing for the Trio+ switch which I suspect also contains the ANT antenna inside the switch itself (??)

Are the electrics of how the switching works just a simple parallel bus make/break contacts, or does it use digital signaling?

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
I have a 2019 M30. I installed the dongle and got The orbea wireless computer which allows you to change assist levels and also gives you batt usage mileage etc. this combo works well for me. Mahle also make one "pulsar one". I paired a garmin but could not get the assist level change to work dependably.

Back