PSA Those round handle bar mirrors for $10

JeffMD

Incase you were looking for mirrors for your bike and you saw those $5-$10 round mirrors that clip into the ends of your handle bars that are sold everywhere out of china, I got them for my sinch.2 because they fold up. At best it is functional. The build was OK and they fit in using a bolt that expands a spacer on the inside to secure itself to your bike. However the plastic convex mirror is just usable and the inner portion has the needed curve but then it flattens out on the edge causing the mirror to distort heavily. It will work for now but may want to spend a little more money if you want an even finish.

Attachments

• 20240701_174050.jpg
    20240701_174050.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 65
I've tried a few different mirrors, and this one has been the best:

Occasionally needs adjustment, but the field of view is great.

They sell a non-convex version on Temu that has the same view as a mirrorcycle. I like the latter, but I have broken a lot of them too with bike falls, and I'm happy with the Temu mirrors at 1/3 the price.

Ever heard of Mirrycle?
Having used various Busch and Muller mirrors and Zefal spy mirrors in the past and now having fitted a Mirrcycle to the Supercharger, I will not be going back in the foreseeable future. The Mirracycle is in a realm of its own in comparison to my previous mirrors.

The Mirracycle looks a little more difficult to use on a folding bike but I will keep it in mind, thanks.

I somehow ended up with a extra set of the little bar-end mirrors that Lectric sells. They work great for the price point. No distortion, easy to install, stay tight and in place and are pretty tough. I've smack mine on all sorts of stuff and so far they've survived. I prefer my Hafny mirrors but there's to much junk to move around on the bars to make them sit at the correct angle to see more than your shoulders and arms.

Incase you were looking for mirrors for your bike and you saw those $5-$10 round mirrors that clip into the ends of your handle bars that are sold everywhere out of china, I got them for my sinch.2 because they fold up. At best it is functional. The build was OK and they fit in using a bolt that expands a spacer on the inside to secure itself to your bike. However the plastic convex mirror is just usable and the inner portion has the needed curve but then it flattens out on the edge causing the mirror to distort heavily. It will work for now but may want to spend a little more money if you want an even finish.
By far the best bar end mirror I've found are Hafny
With a wide selection of styles you should be able to find something that fits your needs. Mirror quality and view is excellent and it's thicker heavier duty nylon housing takes a beating. I've whacked and fallen on mine several times only to have a few war scuffs on the housing.
My personal preference is this one.

And it's a lot nicer looking than the Mirrycle that looks designed by a second grader or stolen from his Lego set.

I would love to try bar end mirrors, but they cause clearance issues with gates & traffic bollards where I ride:

IMG_002510a.jpg
IMG_002509a.jpg

I might try a cheap pair, like the ones linked above.

It's tough to see in my pics above, but there is just a half inch clearance between bar and post. The mirror you show would not fit, even folded. Even if they would, it means re adjusting the mirror each time you fold it. Seems to me, it would get annoying after going through a dozen or more gates.

I don't know why these bollards need to be that close together. The design was obviously not done by a biker.

It's tough to see in my pics above, but there is just a half inch clearance between bar and post. The mirror you show would not fit, even folded. Even if they would, it means re adjusting the mirror each time you fold it. Seems to me, it would get annoying after going through a dozen or more gates.

I don't know why these bollards need to be that close together. The design was obviously not done by a biker.
The Hafny mirrors sit tighter to the bar than the Terdiccle.
As far as getting annoyed I feel the benefits outway any... and once practiced you do it in a second

I'd avoid the cheaper ones as the reflected image as well as construction is inferior and by a substantial amount. They break easier and the reflected image is not as bright as well as appearing distant and distorted.

If you use Amazon (which I hate) then you can try a careful test run and then return it if it doesn't work out

One other consideration... Is it possible to remove a few mm from the end of the handlebars?
They real-estate seems fully occupied on those Jones but if your riding comfort allows it may be worth trimming.
A simple test is to ride a bit with your palms favoring the inside of the grips.

One other consideration... Is it possible to remove a few mm from the end of the handlebars?
They real-estate seems fully occupied on those Jones but if your riding comfort allows it may be worth trimming.
A simple test is to ride a bit with your palms favoring the inside of the grips.
Unfortunately, no. I've already trimmed the bars as much as my accessories will permit.

The mirror you show would not fit, even folded. Even if they would, it means re adjusting the mirror each time you fold it.
I'm not sure if you understand. Mirrycle shall be installed inwards and downwards. The mirror extends the handlebar width with less than an inch.

You do not fold the Mirrycle.

Back