750 watts or 500?

canadmin

Region
Canada
I have a new-to-me BPM R-750 trike. The model is 750 and the literature says its a 750 watt motor. My controller is rated at 500 watts. I don't see any markings on the motor itself. So do I have a 750 watt motor or a 500 watt motor? Cheers.

You have a 500 watt motor -- if you have a 500 watt motor controller. My 500 watt motor gets fed up to 1500 watts from my 30 amp 52 volt (nominal) controller.
The watts your motor consumes depends on the power fed to it by your motor controller.

You have a 500 watt motor -- if you have a 500 watt motor controller. My 500 watt motor gets fed up to 1500 watts from my 30 amp 52 volt (nominal) controller.
The watts your motor consumes depends on the power fed to it by your motor controller.
Thank you. Cheers!

My fairly typical 500W hub-drive has a 48V, 25A controller putting out 48 x 25 = 1,200W. Are you SURE your controller's only rated for 500W?

If so, not much point in having a motor with a nominal 750W that could peak well above 1000W.

My fairly typical 500W hub-drive has a 48V, 25A controller putting out 48 x 25 = 1,200W. Are you SURE your controller's only rated for 500W?

If so, not much point in having a motor with a nominal 750W that could peak well above 1000W.
That's what it says on the controller. I think it's 750 peak watts…? Misleading marketing says 750 watts.

Your KT controller label says 18A peak, so that's around 900W peak at 50 volts. That part is real. If the battery is big enough, their controllers will deliver up to peak power,.

Hard for a fat tire trick to put that power to the ground though, and probably hard to make a turn at full speed too?

Your KT controller label says 18A peak, so that's around 900W peak at 50 volts. That part is real. If the battery is big enough, their controllers will deliver up to peak power,.

Hard for a fat tire trick to put that power to the ground though, and probably hard to make a turn at full speed too?

In BC the law says an ebike can have a motor with a maximum of 500 watts. If my controller says 500 watts, then I think I'm legal. I'm an old man. I don't drive hard or fast. Only use it for short rides and picking up groceries. Trike has loads of power for me. Cornering is a little weird but I take it slow. I don't think I've ever reached full speed. I really enjoy riding it though and look forward to having it fixed. Thanks to your help, it won't be too long.

Back