Bike Market Balance 2023 [Germany]: The One’s Weakness the Other’s Strength?

Aushiker

Region
Australia
City
Walyalup, Western Australia
Last year, we had already surmised that ebikes would soon overtake bicycles in Germany in terms of new models purchased. The time had come in 2023. A four percentage point gap has turned into a six per cent lead. Around 53 per cent of bikes sold had electric assistance. Only 47 per cent still managed without it. And we have probably not yet reached the end of this drifting apart. The ZIV at least expects the trend to continue, meaning that the figures for 2024 could possibly diverge even more.

You can read the full post at eBike24.com.

Yes, Germany is the world's capital of e-bikes (if we ignore China). How come the German ride e-bikes with the 25 km/h cut off, without the throttle, and ride the most of e-bikes in the Western world? :)

Yes, Germany is the world's capital of e-bikes (if we ignore China). How come the German ride e-bikes with the 25 km/h cut off, without the throttle, and ride the most of e-bikes in the Western world? :)

flat, relatively compact cities and good public transport! :)

flat, relatively compact cities and good public transport! :)
Heard of the Alps? 😊 Bayern?
I liked the information that there is one Fahrrad per each German 😊
Don't forget about Autobahn without any speed limits, too.

Because lunch is the biggest meal of the day? They need to work off all those calories on the commute home. When I was there 25 years ago, I couldn't believe the size of the dishes the locals were eating at lunchtime.

Because lunch is the biggest meal of the day? They need to work off all those calories on the commute home. When I was there 25 years ago, I couldn't believe the size of the dishes the locals were eating at lunchtime.
Are you serious? Or, are you talking about the United States of A?

OK, 25 years ago?

1713202455452.png

34 years ago, Duisburg, West Germany. Two slim people and guess what? A bicycle. The Germans believe in "making Schport" :)

1713202549984.png

A garden party there and then.

I do not know what your experience had been Harry but big portions were only served in the countryside, and perhaps in Bayern. Those portions were nothing compared to what you get in the U.S. I say all of this because I have been to Germany for many times since 1990, and know the country pretty well. (My next visit is scheduled to June this year). I also was to the U.S. for three times...

1713203005210.png

A typical German portion, 2022.

1713203099788.png

Find an obese person here. Germans enjoy outdoor activities such as long hikes or long bicycle rides. (Frankfurt/M 2022).

Because lunch is the biggest meal of the day?
1713203309826.png

We must have been in two different countries. It is the German lunch. (Currywurst).

Last edited:
Because that is what the laws allow?
Of course. However, the German obey these laws. For one, it is a law abiding nation. Secondly, safety is all for a German. Thirdly and most importantly: the German know what "cycling" means.

We had a German person in these forums (he unfortunately stopped posting). He was proud to ride a 25 km/h Creo (a road e-bike), and whenever he wanted to ride faster, he simply pedalled harder...

Roamers: Are you serious about "law allows"? The U.S. Federal law allows three classes of e-bikes, all limited to 750 W: Class 1 - 20 mph, no throttle; Class 2 - 20 mph, throttle; Class 3 - 28 mph, no throttle. How many American EBR members respect these laws?

Are you serious? Or, are you talking about the United States of A
No. I am serious. It was asserted by our tour guide back then, and if googled, top responses says the main meal is at midday. It also says that about Poland.

Did I say you were fat? I just said you guys know how to burn off the calories. Meanwhile 40% of American adults are obese, twice as much as Germans, And bikes are like toys here, Of ten houses in our neighborhood, we're the only adults that bike regularly.

top responses says the main meal is at midday.
Yes, it is Mahlzeit. Which does not mean Germans eat like pigs. Actually, Germans are frugal people and do not want spend too much on food.
Did I say you were fat?
I am fat but am no German. You seem to have assumed Germans must have enormous lunches and then burn calories by cycling. Not the fact at all. Germans hike or cycle because they are "Schporty" :) Also, I do not think dinner is the best way to avoid obesity :) I've heard "Never eat past 6 pm" too often...
I just said you guys know how to burn off the calories.
Accepted. I just want to say German people do not cycle to burn the calories off but rather they are fixated on "making Schport" :) What made me interested in the quoted article was the majority of e-bikes bought in that country were cargo ones. While the German do not believe in road or gravel e-bikes at all!

Meanwhile 40% of American adults are obese, twice as much as Germans, And bikes are like toys here, Of ten houses in our neighborhood, we're the only adults that bike regularly.
I did not want to say that myself, especially as I do not live in America so how would I know? Again... think of 1000+ W motors and the throttle... I look at what Ravi does to Zen. He was trying hard to make boutique "Euro" e-bikes but now I can see it is Bafang Ultra and the throttle. The man must make money, I understand that. And now half of the Forum talks to get a Photon in their hands...

Last edited:
Roamers: Are you serious about "law allows"? The U.S. Federal law allows three classes of e-bikes, all limited to 750 W: Class 1 - 20 mph, no throttle; Class 2 - 20 mph, throttle; Class 3 - 28 mph, no throttle. How many American EBR members respect these laws?
I really don't know what the laws are; federal, state, or local. I would have guessed (and perhaps be wrong) that there are 3 Classes defind at the Federal level and States, municiplaties, parks set the use rules.

My decision to go Class 1 was based on what was allowed to be used in National Parks (that I checked) in 2020. Didn’t consider, and still don't consider what is allowed anywhere I ride. Unless there is a sign where I get on the ebike, I consiser it a bike.

We've riden in National Parks, State Parks, County Parks, MUP, city streets. General philosophy: Don't be an a-hole and nobody will care what you are riding.

I really don't know what the laws are; federal, state, or local. I would have guessed (and perhaps be wrong) that there are 3 Classes defind at the Federal level and States, municiplaties, parks set the use rules.

My decision to go Class 1 was based on what was allowed to be used in National Parks (that I checked) in 2020. Didn’t consider, and still don't consider what is allowed anywhere I ride. Unless there is a sign where I get on the ebike, I consiser it a bike.

We've riden in National Parks, State Parks, County Parks, MUP, city streets. General philosophy: Don't be an a-hole and nobody will care what you are riding.
There is a general lack of understanding that "Class means Class" among many Americans:
  • 'If I disconnect the throttle from my Class 2 e-bike it will become Class 1' - wrong - 'If I remove the trigger from my handgun, I will not need a weapon permit'?
  • 'If I apply a Class 1 sticker on my Class 3 e-bike and will ride carefully and respectfully, my e-bike will be like Class 1' - wrong - 'I promise to place a NOT A WEAPON sticker on my revolver and promise not to shoot at anyone, so I do not need a weapon permit'?
  • 'Law enforcement are busy, nobody will catch me on my Surron' - well?
German people do not think that way. A production e-bike, 25 km/h restriction and no throttle is just fine. That's why millions of e-bikes ride in Germany, are treated as regular bikes, and can ride into any national park or forest where pedal bikes are admitted.

Germans just do cycling better. The nice, clever cycling things often come out of Germany....also they do good aquarium things well.
True. I only regret that huge Berlin aquarium burst on Dec 16, 2022. I could see the AquaDom for several times in the past. It was so beautiful!

Now, I am a Pole. We are a kind of an anarchist nation. I'd say the majority of Poles would derestrict their e-bike if they only could. And yes, I can see many idiots riding illegal contraptions here :(

Heard of the Alps? 😊 Bayern?
I liked the information that there is one Fahrrad per each German 😊
Don't forget about Autobahn without any speed limits, too.
i didn’t say the whole country (although it is pretty flat compared to switzerland, austria, italy, california…) was flat, i said the cities were flat!

i didn’t say the whole country (although it is pretty flat compared to switzerland, austria, italy, california…) was flat, i said the cities were flat!
I missed that part ;)
Are you aware the EU rules are the same in every country, and people in other European countries buy a lot of e-bikes based on the same rules? The Czech Republic (which is very hilly) is full of e-bikes, for instance.

Back