Think tolerance for e-bikes is common? think again!

I try to keep a low profile around anyone who looks like they might vote to ban ebikes, but if I had a 5000 watt superbike and was 30 years younger I would probably annoy a lot of people. I just hope others in my neck of the woods dont screw things up for us class A bikers

Gonna have ta get a few E bikers together and go terrorize the bikers on the rail trail. Wow! it's intoxicating to know I can instill such fear in others. Bwahaha (Only kidding of course.)

Someday the writer will be older and will probably find E biking much more likable.

Not true. Just the opposite, as defined by federal law. An ebike is explicitly not a motorized vehicle. It is just a bicycle.

“In addition, electric bicycles are explicitly not “motor vehicles” for the purposes of federal law, and are not subject to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration vehicle standards. As a practical matter, Public Law 107-319 ensures that electric bicycles are designed, manufactured, and tested like traditional bicycles for the purposes of consumer product safety law. The main provisions of Public Law 107-319 are codified at 15 U.S.C. § 2085.”

True for now but watch how fast this will change if enough complaints are filed. Many states already fail to recognize this federal law. Ebike friendly organizations are working hard to change this. We don't need to make their job more difficult by giving ebikes a bad reputation.

If the angry gangs of old people on ebikes would stop running regular bikers off the trail and then laughing about it and if they would announce with a ring of their bell or a friendly "on your left" when over taking people wouldn't be so upset. Sadly, ebikers travel in mobs and have no respect for anyone on the trails. More articles like the one from this woman will open people's eyes to this dangerous trend in two wheeled travel

Seniors on eBikes are the same people you find at WWF matches and mixed martial arts fights, they should be restricted to activities like lawn bowling for their own safety and the safety of others.

If the angry gangs of old people on ebikes would stop running regular bikers off the trail and then laughing about it and if they would announce with a ring of their bell or a friendly "on your left" when over taking people wouldn't be so upset. Sadly, ebikers travel in mobs and have no respect for anyone on the trails. More articles like the one from this woman will open people's eyes to this dangerous trend in two wheeled travel
I find that many people in front of me on trails are wearing earbuds, and/or have hearing loss . I may need to upgrade my bell . Any suggestions ?

I find that many people in front of me on trails are wearing earbuds, and/or have hearing loss . I may need to upgrade my bell . Any suggestions ?

Get one of those mobile phone blocking devices. When they lose internet connection they automatically stop, wave the mobile around, look up at the skye then start crying. That should give you time to pass.

Just be carefull to turn it off in traffic - the poor drivers would have to stop texting.

Get one of those mobile phone blocking devices. When they lose internet connection they automatically stop, wave the mobile around, look up at the skye then start crying. That should give you time to pass.

Just be carefull to turn it off in traffic - the poor drivers would have to stop texting.
haha so funny yet so true

I think I've found the perfect response to the taunt "you're cheating!"... I've already been told I'm cheating numerous times.. My response from now on is going to be "who am I cheating?"
I got the "you are cheating " barked at me a few weeks ago on an MTB trail a few weeks ago, and even I was shocked at my immediate reply " I don't even know your wife "

@Rincon Federal law does not define reality. If it has a motor, it’s a motorized vehicle. Federal law is often ignored by states. Federal law can change overnight. Federal law does not apply to the rest of the world.

If ebikes continue to grow in popularity, federal, state and local laws will be revised. We now have eBike sold online that can go 40 mph. A Vespa owner with their drivers license, inspection, tags and insurance being passed by an eBike rider with none of those is absurd. Laws will change.

@Rincon Federal law does not define reality. If it has a motor, it’s a motorized vehicle. Federal law is often ignored by states. Federal law can change overnight. Federal law does not apply to the rest of the world.

If ebikes continue to grow in popularity, federal, state and local laws will be revised. We now have eBike sold online that can go 40 mph. A Vespa owner with their drivers license, inspection, tags and insurance being passed by an eBike rider with none of those is absurd. Laws will change.
The laws already exist, hence the classifications

If reality for you is defined by the government, then it is pointless for me to say anything else. So I’m outta here :)

If reality for you is defined by the government, then it is pointless for me to say anything else. So I’m outta here :)

I have zero desire to regulate, license or determine how fast anyone can ride but I realize there are those who do desire to do that and have the desire to get the power to do so.

Being older and in an area where people will pretty much leave you alone as long as you don't insist on doing things really stupid, I can ignore them more than many others can but I understand the ones that live where that is harder to do wanting people to not do things that get busy bodies all involved.

It's just too darn big and ugly but the wimpy bell on my Haibike doesn't cut it. I need a discreet upgrade
yeah its big. I wonder if 115 decibels is enuff to ward off large jawed dogs that are about to bite ? would be a real plus.

Last edited:
Back