Think tolerance for e-bikes is common? think again!

Noisey? Assumption all are reckless riders?

Agree. Blather coming from a whiny elitist.

I've seen that whizzing by recklessly effect done by tandem pedal bikers on the Ohio R. pedestrian/bike bridge. 20+ mph, three of them, right though the middle of all the sightseers and people that walk in circles. People should have consideration of the slower person/vehicle whatever the circumstances. Be able to stop in such a matter to not hit them.
For using my throttle to go 25 mph, the traffic lights have been set on the street 2 blocks from me where you have 8 seconds to get across 5 lanes before it goes yellow. I can't do that with the pedals, I'm not age 25 anymore. 25 mph may be inappropriate for crowded bike lanes, but a lot of the sidewalks I ride on busy narrow streets, there is no pedestrian there 80% of the time. I go 8-12 mph because I have no suspension, but if I went 25 it wouldn't threaten anybody. If somebody is walking I get in the street if there is room or ride on the grass if there is not.
1430 edit. I used the throttle 3 times today to make green lights, one of which stays red an infinite time until a car comes to trip the sensor. Other than that I pedaled 6.5 miles against the wind.

Last edited:
Hmmmm ... not true that the hard effort of climbing a hill (since cyclists then often rest and chat at the top of hills) is necessary to produce camaraderie. That's like saying that smoking (since smokers gather and chat in smoking areas) is necessary to produce camaraderie.

Ebikers take breaks and enjoy one another also, just not at the tops of hills.

I think the writer is very proud of his athletic achievements that give him access to what used to be less traveled cycling routes... he resents that more cyclists are able to enjoy them because of ebikes. Maybe in 20 or 30 or 40 years he will feel differently, and be very grateful that an ebike enables him to continue enjoying cycling beyond his physical limitations.

I think the writer is very proud of his athletic achievements that give him access to what used to be less traveled cycling routes... he resents that more cyclists are able to enjoy them because of ebikes. Maybe in 20 or 30 or 40 years he will feel differently, and be very grateful that an ebike enables him to continue enjoying cycling beyond his physical limitations.

Perfectly worded, I actually understand his view and thought along the same lines 20 years ago when I was a hardcore MTBr. Sticking to this line of thought made MTBing less enjoyable as I have gotten older. My ebike completey changed this

Last edited:
Europe is the land of mid-drives, which do make more noise than hub motors. But they are not so noisy that you can hear them at any distance.
Not sure what distance we’re talking about but I think you can hear a group of e,g. Bosch motors. One of the reasons I turned my eyes and ears to bikes with Brose motors was the difference in sound or noise.
Regarding this thread’s title - I don’t think there is in general a low tolerance for e-bikes. The writer of the article express his(hers?) opinion and to some extent I can understand the feeling.
I have a low tolerance for reckless riders of regular bikes.

Last edited:

Not that it makes a difference, but the writer is female and from the photos in the blog doesn't look to take a lot pf pride in athletic achievements ( which might explain the speed disctepancies she is complaining about) . Try Davids link

I found it interesting to read the comments that readers of The Travelling Lindfields blog posted.

Quite a few tut-tutted something akin to "Oh, that's dreadful!" but no one politely suggested that their host was being even a trifle too enthusiastically extravagant in her exaggeration.

Hyperbole wins again.
... David

Reactions: JRA
While the writer no doubt embellished much of it, there is a valid point. This is another reason I am against higher speed eBikes. I have a class 3, but see no valid reason to go over 20 mph. If a motorized vehicle is capable of going over 20 mph, it should be licensed, insured, and the operator have a drivers license. And of course not be allowed on bike/hike trails.

I had a Honda Express back in the late 70’s I used to run errands. I had to have a drivers license, tags...etc.... to ride it. My eBike goes just as fast via throttle, and faster with assist. Why should my class 3 eBike be treated differently?

If you want to commute on an eBike at 30 mph great. License it, insure it and ride. But don’t take it on a bike bath with baby strollers, walkers, and dogs. Sure, you world only go 15 mph because you’re a good person, but a lot of people aren’t. A good person could ride a motorcycle on a bike path as well.

Completely agree. This is why I've stopped posting on threads where some see nothing wrong with ebikes going as fast as possible and seem to want license to ride what amounts to a scooter with pedals, because 'freedom'. One of them wrote something like (paraphrasing) "I want LOTS of power, because otherwise what's the point of having an ebike?... I want to crest a steep hill without breaking a sweat and with a smile on my face." There's a group that sees nothing wrong with an ebike motoring along at 35+ (on a flat stretch -- I get tired of hearing the "you go really fast with a dino bike on a downhill, so what's the difference...?) And there's another group, that includes me, that sees this attitude leading toward heavy handed regulations that cover all ebikes, including the 20 mph pedelecs.

While the writer no doubt embellished much of it, there is a valid point. This is another reason I am against higher speed eBikes. I have a class 3, but see no valid reason to go over 20 mph. If a motorized vehicle is capable of going over 20 mph, it should be licensed, insured, and the operator have a drivers license. And of course not be allowed on bike/hike trails.

Huh?

No valid reason to go over 20mph? Should we put speed limiters on analog bikes then? 20mph is a doddle on road bikes on anything but inclines.

Not a chance in H I'd own an ebike that goes slower than what I can pedal on my road bike. And I'm baffled by those who think 20mph is fast.

The real menace are those nimrods who insist on riding the middle of paths with earbuds, or doddling along 2-3 abreast blathering utter nonsense to each other, completely oblivious to their surroundings or those wanting to pass. I have one group I see regularly - same clueless yammering bs every time - tempted to buy an airzound and wake them up once and for all.

Perhaps the biggest menace are those using phones to text while riding. Speed doesn't kill. Stupidity does.

I think I've found the perfect response to the taunt "you're cheating!"... I've already been told I'm cheating numerous times.. My response from now on is going to be "who am I cheating?"

If it's a guy I always respond with...."Said the same thing to your wife the other day"

A lot of folks seem to get mad when they see others having a good time. I've never understood that. I went X-C skiing on the golf course behind our house when we moved here 4 years ago. Sure enough a "concerned" neighbor complained to the HOA president about the tracks I was leaving in the snow. He wanted to look out his window at a virgin snow covered fairway and was upset that there were now two narrow ski tracks running across it.

I read this and went WTF. I got the picture of a marauding gang of seniors racing down a bike path running oldbike riders off of the trail. Next we will be accused of killing the people we run off of the trails. I think the author needs to get a grip and learn about us before trying to throw us to the wolves.

Kind of like the Monty Python Granny Gang?

Huh?

No valid reason to go over 20mph? Should we put speed limiters on analog bikes then? 20mph is a doddle on road bikes on anything but inclines.

Not a chance in H I'd own an ebike that goes slower than what I can pedal on my road bike. And I'm baffled by those who think 20mph is fast.

The real menace are those nimrods who insist on riding the middle of paths with earbuds, or doddling along 2-3 abreast blathering utter nonsense to each other, completely oblivious to their surroundings or those wanting to pass. I have one group I see regularly - same clueless yammering bs every time - tempted to buy an airzound and wake them up once and for all.

Perhaps the biggest menace are those using phones to text while riding. Speed doesn't kill. Stupidity does.

Of course I was speaking of not over 20 with throttle or assist. If you peddle over 20 fine but motorized taking you over 20 is a different thing. Heck, probably a third of the time I’m riding (according to the screen) my assist isn’t doing anything. But to have a motor drive you 30 mph, it is simply no longer a bicycle.

The elephant in the room is that in reality none of our ebikes are bicycles. A bicycle is a human powered vehicle. Our eBike sre motorized vehicles. I am visually impaired, and as of this year I am no longer able to drive a car. I absolutely love my eBike, but I do not kid myself about what it is.

" by 2030 there will be 62 million electric bicycles in the EU. Cities are overrun by them and towns, villages and previously quiet country paths are blighted by them."

Should say: "by 2030 there will be 62 million HEALTHIER PEOPLE in the EU."

That point seems to be lost many times....

Back