Ananda M80 motor

Kenmnz

Region
New Zealand
I have recently purchased a new trike fitted with this motor.It has 5 assistance levels, but when I change into either of the highest levels it doesn't seem to have any more help than the middle level. I have asked Ananda about this , but they don't give a straightforward answer , only saying that they "optimize the motor to protect the gear '
From this I can only assume the motor has been deliberately programmed to prevent maximum power being achieved .
can anyone tell me how to reprogram this motor for more power on hills, as I am 80 years old, and ride in a hilly area .
If I can't achieve this my alternative is to make some mounting plates and replace the Ananda with a Bafang, which will do what I require of it .
Further to my post, the manufacturers have now told me that an M81 motor is fitted , not the M 80 described in their brochure.
They have now offered to obtain a tuning cable from Ananda ,which will be sent to my local dealer, and the motor reprogramed more to my requirements.
Watch this space for updates !!!

Last edited:
I have recently purchased a new trike fitted with this motor.It has 5 assistance levels, but when I change into either of the highest levels it doesn't seem to have any more help than the middle level. I have asked Ananda about this , but they don't give a straightforward answer , only saying that they "optimize the motor to protect the gear '
From this I can only assume the motor has been deliberately programmed to prevent maximum power being achieved .
can anyone tell me how to reprogram this motor for more power on hills, as I am 80 years old, and ride in a hilly area .
If I can't achieve this my alternative is to make some mounting plates and replace the Ananda with a Bafang, which will do what I require of it .
Further to my post, the manufacturers have now told me that an M81 motor is fitted , not the M 80 described in their brochure.
They have now offered to obtain a tuning cable from Ananda ,which will be sent to my local dealer, and the motor reprogramed more to my requirements.
Firstly, find out what display you have, then look up the user's manual. You can most likely just program it through the display.

Firstly, find out what display you have, then look up the user's manual. You can most likely just program it through the display.
No such luck, I have already got the manual, but it gives no more information. I did manage to work out the password , and get further in to it, but the only alterable item was top speed , which doesnt help me at all . I don't need speed ,but I do need an increase in power on hills .
They have now said they will send me a program to alter the motor together with the required cable ,on the understanding that this may shorten the motor life .Should I outlast the motor , I will then draw up conversion plate so that I can fit a Bafang mid-drive .!

Sounds good. If you can set the amps per each level that would be great. Then just don't leave it at full power except when you need it. Where in NZ? Did you ever eat docked lamb's tails from a charcoal pit?

If what you have now is a mid drive than just put on a small chain ring. If it is a hub drive then maybe different sun gears can be fitted to lower the gearing ratio.

Yes , I had thought of a smaller chain ring , but the lowest gear is already very low , peddling flat out only reaches about 9km /hr.
I need more power at low speed on hills

According to Ananda catalogue

The M81 motor can provide 250 W if it is powered from a 36 V battery or 350 W if it is a 48 V system. 250 W as the max motor power is not a lot for steep hills (I own a 240 W max mechanical power motor e-bike so I know). 350 W max is not great for climbing either. You wonder why no power increase occurs when you are selecting the highest assistance modes. The answer is, the system is probably programmed the way it already delivers the max assistance at Level 3*. And... isn't your system 36 V?
-------
*) One of my e-bikes has an AKM100 hub-drive motor. I do not know anything about its power but know hitting anything above Assist 3 does not increase the motor power anymore. It is a 36 V system.

Yes the 48 volt motor has been programmed to restrict its power and the manufacturer of my trike has now confirmed it is done to prolong the life of the motor .Or as the reply from Ananda put it "the motor is programmed to protect the gear ". Bottom line is I ride in a hilly area on gravel roads , and need extra help on all the steep hills . They have now offered to send me a more suitable program for the motor , and will be sending me a cable to transfer that program from my laptop to the motor .I have accepted that it may void the warranty, and if the motor fails I have drawn up plans for a bracket which will enable me to re-engine the trike with a Bafang 750 watt motor .

Sounds good. If you can set the amps per each level that would be great. Then just don't leave it at full power except when you need it. Where in NZ? Did you ever eat docked lamb's tails from a charcoal pit?
We live in a retirement village in Dargaville ,which is in the lower part of Northland. I imagine eating lambs tails might have been something a sheep farmer might have done ,
but as I have never been involved in sheep farming I really wouldn't know !Hopefully the new program from Ananda will help solve my problems .

Oh, you are way up there. I hope the new firmware does the trick. I've spent time on a central valley station. The work was so energy consuming that for breakfast I would have a sausage, three mutton chops, eggs, toast and tea. There would be a kilo of butter on the table and we would slice it like cheese to put on the toast. The meals got progressively bigger over the course of the day.

Oh, you are way up there. I hope the new firmware does the trick. I've spent time on a central valley station. The work was so energy consuming that for breakfast I would have a sausage, three mutton chops, eggs, toast and tea. There would be a kilo of butter on the table and we would slice it like cheese to put on the toast. The meals got progressively bigger over the course of the day.
When I came to NZ it was to work in the Poultry industry, back in 1970. The very first week I was there they called for volunteers to start early to load some chickens , with the offer that breakfast would be provided . Turned out breakfast was a Big Ben pie and a couple of large bottles of Lion Red !!! Can't see that being allowed these days !!!

@Kenmnz, I live in a chicken town. I just got a rubber chicken today to help decorate a bike for the Butter & Eggs Day parade. This place is also known for its beer. Did you ever read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"? The main character Phaedrus wants to fix his friend's BMW with a beer can shim, but the guy thought that was beneath him, so went with a loose handlebar. Well I used a piece of beer can to repair a loose quill stem today. It worked!

@Kenmnz, I live in a chicken town. I just got a rubber chicken today to help decorate a bike for the Butter & Eggs Day parade. This place is also known for its beer. Did you ever read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"? The main character Phaedrus wants to fix his friend's BMW with a beer can shim, but the guy thought that was beneath him, so went with a loose handlebar. Well I used a piece of beer can to repair a loose quill stem today. It worked!
Way to go !!!My old trike still has toothless freewheels shimmed with baked bean tins !!!

So pleased to hear you can still do it at over 80 years old !!! Just don't have the Lycra too tight !!!
A friend, age 77, made 10,000 km riding a most basic pedal bike last year. And yes, he wears lycra for convenience.
I don't think carrying your ass on a throttle e-bike would contribute to your health at all.

Firstly, congratulations to your friend. Secondly I cant believe you know so little about riding an Ebike with a throttle. I thought you would realize they can be peddled as well !!

Back