Ananda M80 motor

Kenmnz

Region
New Zealand
I have recently purchased a new trike fitted with this motor.It has 5 assistance levels, but when I change into either of the highest levels it doesn't seem to have any more help than the middle level. I have asked Ananda about this , but they don't give a straightforward answer , only saying that they "optimize the motor to protect the gear '
From this I can only assume the motor has been deliberately programmed to prevent maximum power being achieved .
can anyone tell me how to reprogram this motor for more power on hills, as I am 80 years old, and ride in a hilly area .
If I can't achieve this my alternative is to make some mounting plates and replace the Ananda with a Bafang, which will do what I require of it .
Further to my post, the manufacturers have now told me that an M81 motor is fitted , not the M 80 described in their brochure.
They have now offered to obtain a tuning cable from Ananda ,which will be sent to my local dealer, and the motor reprogramed more to my requirements.
Watch this space for updates !!!

Last edited:
I sometimes make them with a torque sensor, a cadence sensor, and a throttle. But mostly for people with special needs. I test rode a bunch of Specialized bikes yesterday while I watched my friend's shop for several hours with a good mechanic friend in the back. No throttles, and nothing 'wrong' with them, the re-programing can up response times and optimize power levels. Also wheel diameter can be taken down somewhat to optimize speed. They are still a little sluggish. The bikes are high quality but expensive to maintain. One bike had a $625 service.

Back