Vado 4.0 Sale Price

mfgrep

Region
USA
Perhaps this is less notable to most folks?....but I was rather smitten with this Specialized sale price and thought I'd shine a light on it for those that might have been 'on the fence':

In the USA Specialized is now running a sale on the full power Vado 4.0 for $2749....previously $3999.
While bike shopping for a family member...minding my own business.....not shopping for a new bike for myself.... I came across this sale and after some consideration I decided that I could not resist the temptation (Stefan made me do it). I already have a Vado 4.0 SL. I don't need the full power vado, however, I often dreamed of having the full power version as a 2nd bicycle.

My SL is my go-to bike for weekly fitness, however, as I have it currently setup my SL is a poor choice for commuting, errands, grocery/liquor runs etc. I could do these things on my SL....but I prefer to keep my SL rather naked as this best suits my primary use for the bike. The full power Vado will be a great addition and increase my capabilities (and time on a bicycle)....I might even succeed in getting my wife to tag along for a ride or two.

Specialized can be seemingly nonsensical as it relates to its 'sale' prices. My Vado SL 4.0 was on a steep sale at $2499 back in June of 2023 when I purchased it...only to rebound to $3499 since that time.
The Vado 4.0 at $2749 seems (if only to me) like a 'steal me' price....and the dealer offered 18 months 0% interest....I think this is a superb bargain on a great bike.
I find it difficult to imagine that a Vado 4.0 will ever be less expensive than $2749. I had my choice of color and size without issues. It should be a nice spring/summer season.

This 4.0 version is now priced below the Vado 3.0 ($2999)....and at the cheapest price level among any/all of the Vado/Vado SL product line.

Last edited:
That is an excellent price, and it is an excellent bike for commuting/errand-running. Plus 0% interest is free money these days.

I doubt you'll see a lower price on a new bike of the Vado 4's level - and buying new gets you lifetime frame warranty that used bike doesn't have.

Some Tips/thoughts:
  • Abus 5755L R frame lock fits well, and being a key-retained version you'll never forget to bring the key with you. Abus 6KS 100cm plug-in chain works well with it, and the Abus transport bag for 4850 ST chain works well to carry it. I had to order these from Amazon.de since I specifically wanted the key-retain version.
  • Careful with the battery lock key and charge port! Since they're next to one another, pay attention. If you put the key into the charge port hole and short out the battery contacts you're buying a new battery - it's happened to at least a couple people here.
  • Be aware the Vado 4.0 is ~58lb with battery, which can be a lot for some folks in some situations.
  • Yes, you can add a Garmin Varia RTL515 (battery version) and connect it to the Mastermind TCD. See my post about it a year or so ago.
  • The Specialized MIK Adapter Plate is really handy. I attached one to the bottom of a Topeak MTS Trunkbag DXP (using a sheet of stiff plastic on the inside bottom), and another to the bottom of a CleverMade collapsible shopping basket. The latter is handy for trips to the store - I just carry the basket inside and no concerns about buying too much to carry home! :)

That is an excellent price, and it is an excellent bike for commuting/errand-running. Plus 0% interest is free money these days.

I doubt you'll see a lower price on a new bike of the Vado 4's level - and buying new gets you lifetime frame warranty that used bike doesn't have.

Some Tips/thoughts:
  • Abus 5755L R frame lock fits well, and being a key-retained version you'll never forget to bring the key with you. Abus 6KS 100cm plug-in chain works well with it, and the Abus transport bag for 4850 ST chain works well to carry it. I had to order these from Amazon.de since I specifically wanted the key-retain version.
  • Careful with the battery lock key and charge port! Since they're next to one another, pay attention. If you put the key into the charge port hole and short out the battery contacts you're buying a new battery - it's happened to at least a couple people here.
  • Be aware the Vado 4.0 is ~58lb with battery, which can be a lot for some folks in some situations.
  • Yes, you can add a Garmin Varia RTL515 (battery version) and connect it to the Mastermind TCD. See my post about it a year or so ago.
  • The Specialized MIK Adapter Plate is really handy. I attached one to the bottom of a Topeak MTS Trunkbag DXP (using a sheet of stiff plastic on the inside bottom), and another to the bottom of a CleverMade collapsible shopping basket. The latter is handy for trips to the store - I just carry the basket inside and no concerns about buying too much to carry home! :)

Yes I agree...the sale price is excellent....0% interest is a bonus....and the Vado 4.0 was on my short list among a very few bikes that I would like to add to my stable. I plan to enjoy this option, however, I am already feeling guilty and I haven't even seen the bike yet lol. Let's just hope that Santa Cruz doesn't put their 'Skitch' on sale for $3500 any time soon lol.....it could cause a divorce.

I VERY much appreciate the tips and will take each of them into consideration. I do need a lock and I do need some storage solutions. Thanks also for pointing out the battery lock key and charge port issue. The Varia has always been of interest to me, however, I seem to get by well using a side mirror.

Perhaps this is less notable to most folks?....but I was rather smitten with this Specialized sale price and thought I'd shine a light on it for those that might have been 'on the fence':

In the USA Specialized is now running a sale on the full power Vado 4.0 for $2749....previously $3999.
While bike shopping for a family member...minding my own business.....not shopping for a new bike for myself.... I came across this sale and after some consideration I decided that I could not resist the temptation (Stefan made me do it). I already have a Vado 4.0 SL. I don't need the full power vado, however, I often dreamed of having the full power version as a 2nd bicycle.

My SL is my go-to bike for weekly fitness, however, as I have it currently setup my SL is a poor choice for commuting, errands, grocery/liquor runs etc. I could do these things on my SL....but I prefer to keep my SL rather naked as it best suits my primary use for the bike. The full power Vado will be a great addition and increase my capabilities (and time on a bicycle)....I might even succeed in getting my wife to tag along for a ride or two.

Specialized can be seemingly nonsensical as it relates to its 'sale' prices. My Vado SL 4.0 was on a steep sale at $2499 back in June of 2023 when I purchased it...only to rebound to $3499 since that time.
The Vado 4.0 at $2749 seems (if only to me) like a 'steal me' price....and the dealer offered 18 months 0% interest....I think this is a superb bargain on a great bike.
I find it difficult to imagine that a Vado 4.0 will ever be less expensive than $2749. I had my choice of color and size without issues. It should be a nice spring/summer season.

This 4.0 version is now priced below the Vado 3.0 ($2999)....and at the cheapest price level among any/all of the Vado/Vado SL product line.
I purchased my second Vado 4 at $3250, and that was a bargain. The current price of $2749 is an absolute STEAL, because this bike out of the box needs NOTHING. Happy riding....

Additional information: the 2.0 motor actual torque is 75 Nm (not 70), so it is even a better choice!

Not that it matters....but a quote from the tech specs page at Spesh's USA Vado 4.0 listing:

Motor

Specialized 2.0, 70Nm torque, custom tuned motor, 250W nominal

Yes I agree...the sale price is excellent....0% interest is a bonus....and the Vado 4.0 was on my short list among a very few bikes that I would like to add to my stable. I plan to enjoy this option, however, I am already feeling guilty and I haven't even seen the bike yet lol. Let's just hope that Santa Cruz doesn't put their 'Skitch' on sale for $3500 any time soon lol.....it could cause a divorce.

I VERY much appreciate the tips and will take each of them into consideration. I do need a lock and I do need some storage solutions. Thanks also for pointing out the battery lock key and charge port issue. The Varia has always been of interest to me, however, I seem to get by well using a side mirror.

You're welcome. The chain (which has a ring at the end to pass through itself) + frame lock is a pretty good solution for walking into a store or similar since defeating them requires at least two cuts if not three. The frame lock by itself prevents roll or ride-away theft, and if you remain in sight of the bike you can probably catch anyone trying to carry it off. :D

The Skitch is really nice, but it's a lot more like a higher-power SL than it's like the Vado. For suburban riding where you're dealing with sidewalks and potholes and curbs and such, the Vado suspension is a nice plus.

Varia is super useful on the road - and it's not a replacement for a mirror, but an excellent complement to one. Audible alert tells me of a vehicle approaching without needing to look; it also tells me if it's two or more vehicles so I don't do something stupid when the first one passes me by. Also good for letting me know of an approaching vehicle in mottled sunlight conditions where it's not as easy to spot a car. Mirror is still useful to know if it's a truck with trailer vs compact car, as well as lane position indicating how much care the driver is taking.

I'll sum it up this way - do a search for people who've owned a Varia and posted they didn't find it useful. :)

Not that it matters....but a quote from the tech specs page at Spesh's USA Vado 4.0 listing:

Motor

Specialized 2.0, 70Nm torque, custom tuned motor, 250W nominal
If you read carefully the Specialized Support you will notice:
"Max. and Nominal Watts (mechanical): 470 w (250 nominal)"

Motor manufacturers like Bosch, Brose, Yamaha, Fazua, TQ, all of them refer the torque to 60 rpm, that is, to 6.28 radian/s. If you divide 470 W by 6.28, you will get 75 Nm. Similarly, the 2.2 motor has max power of 560 W (it is actually 565 W) giving 90 Nm, and the 2.0E motor has 430 / 6.28 = 68.5 Nm (not 50). The torque figures of 50, 70, and 90 Nm are for the marketing department :)

Interestingly, the 1.2s motor of my Vado offers 520 Wh of peak power (the same as Yamaha PW-X2) and both deliver 82.8 Nm even if both Yamaha and Specialized quote 85 Nm :)

Your purchase looks even more valuable!

Besides... what's easier than tuning the Vado 4.0 with MicroTune on the ride to reduce the motor power to the level you actually need. And the motor is almost silent!

Last edited:
You're welcome. The chain (which has a ring at the end to pass through itself) + frame lock is a pretty good solution for walking into a store or similar since defeating them requires at least two cuts if not three. The frame lock by itself prevents roll or ride-away theft, and if you remain in sight of the bike you can probably catch anyone trying to carry it off. :D

The Skitch is really nice, but it's a lot more like a higher-power SL than it's like the Vado. For suburban riding where you're dealing with sidewalks and potholes and curbs and such, the Vado suspension is a nice plus.

Varia is super useful on the road - and it's not a replacement for a mirror, but an excellent complement to one. Audible alert tells me of a vehicle approaching without needing to look; it also tells me if it's two or more vehicles so I don't do something stupid when the first one passes me by. Also good for letting me know of an approaching vehicle in mottled sunlight conditions where it's not as easy to spot a car. Mirror is still useful to know if it's a truck with trailer vs compact car, as well as lane position indicating how much care the driver is taking.

I'll sum it up this way - do a search for people who've owned a Varia and posted they didn't find it useful. :)

You have already sent me down the Abus rabbit hole....and the model that you suggest (with key retention) isn't easy to find at this time. I'll keep an eye out...as I like your proposed solution...an installed frame lock with key retained and a chain stored under the seat. I like your suggestion a lot. I really never required locking my SL because I seldom rode to a destination, however, with the full power Vado this is likely to change thus requiring a good security solution.

I was enamored with the Skitch when it was introduced and that has not subsided. That carbon frame Skitch is seemingly a really superb bicycle and I like it a lot. Skitch would be an Vado SL killer (for me).....but I would not trade my SL + $4500 for the Skitch.....so I have been at peace with my trusty SL. Money does matter.

I am certain that the Varia is useful. I live in a mid-sized Midwestern US city and while the Varia would be nice.....I don't feel that it is a requirement. As a predominant street rider I understand the Varia's usefulness but I have not yet felt compelled to purchase one. Perhaps now that I have a Mastermind bike I will give it a go. First things first....I'll buy a mirror.

Stefan you are getting me excited! You had me at -
what's easier than tuning the Vado 4.0 with MicroTune on the ride to reduce the motor power to the level you actually need. And the motor is almost silent!

This is, without a doubt, the absolute best mid-drive electric bicycle at that price.

I am once again regretting going Gazelle when this bike exists.

What I love:
-The quietest e-bike motor I have heard, by a mile
-Natural feeling power delivery, plenty of torque
-Class 3
-2.3" tires for comfort
-One of the most subtly designed full power e-bikes
-Great brakes
-Big battery
-Excellent software
-Clear upgrade path with components used in 5.0 model

Stefan you are getting me excited! You had me at -
Bear in mind, MicroTune is a distinctive assist mode. When you have gone MT with a function button pressing, all other modes become irrelevant. MT is the Mastermind feature I'm badly missing from my both Specialized e-bikes. Other nice things there are, e.g., Range Trend and Available Range that would help me a lot on my long rides!

Well AR, this perhaps sounds good but it is not in the real life. I bought a Vado SL 4.0 EQ, and all my expensive efforts eventually led me to a version of a Vado SL 5.0 non-EQ, which I should have bought in the first place ;) If one needs and can afford Vado 5.0, let them just buy a 5.0. On the other hand, I've always said the 4.0 was the biggest bang for the buck, and now with the sales at a ridiculous price... :)

My advice to @mfgrep is to not modify anything other than adding a rear view mirror, and then ride the e-bike for a full season without modification. Many of us have a compulsion to upgrade an already excellent e-bike :)

You have already sent me down the Abus rabbit hole....and the model that you suggest (with key retention) isn't easy to find at this time. I'll keep an eye out...as I like your proposed solution...an installed frame lock with key retained and a chain stored under the seat. I like your suggestion a lot. I really never required locking my SL because I seldom rode to a destination, however, with the full power Vado this is likely to change thus requiring a good security solution.
Yeah, looks like availability is limited vs when I bought mine in 2022. The Abus 5750 is the same, but one step down in lock cylinder security. Still very good though, I just chose the higher level since price was nearly the same so why not. You can look at the dimensions on Abus site to help guide you to an alternate model by Abus or AXA. (The 5750 is what Specialized suggests)

Note - chains are compatible across brands. I put an AXA Defender frame lock on my wife's Verve+ 2 with a Kryptonite chain - and both chains each work with both locks.

First things first....I'll buy a mirror.
I highly recommend the Serfas MR-1 - it's unobtrusive and works very well.

This is, without a doubt, the absolute best mid-drive electric bicycle at that price.

I am once again regretting going Gazelle when this bike exists.

What I love:
-The quietest e-bike motor I have heard, by a mile
-Natural feeling power delivery, plenty of torque
-Class 3
-2.3" tires for comfort
-One of the most subtly designed full power e-bikes
-Great brakes
-Big battery
-Excellent software
Ditto all of that. I have a Bosch gen 4, which is great for torque, but noisy. The Yamaha in my sold Giant Fast Road EX Pro, was quieter than the Bosch....but the Vado 4 is darn near silent.

My advice to @mfgrep is to not modify anything other than adding a rear view mirror, and then ride the e-bike for a full season without modification. Many of us have a compulsion to upgrade an already excellent e-bike :)

Thanks Stefan and yes...I agree. Thankfully I have some experience in this regard having owned my Vado SL now for almost 1 year. I slowly did modify my SL.
I added a RedShift stem, a side mirror, Ergon GP3 grips, Stamp 7 pedals, and GravelKing tires. Most recently I changed to a Garbaruk chain ring (out of necessity). That is all....and I am satisfied with the bike....and satisfied with all upgrades completed.

As far as the incoming full power Vado 4.0 I plan immediately only to add a side mirror. I do, however, have some necessary bits for the near term in mind including security lock(s), pedals, and a pannier style basket for groceries.

I had originally purchased the SL version because I first/foremost wish to get some exercise and increase my fitness during my rides. The SL is great for this.

The full power Vado is obviously a differing animal and there have been times when I wished I could snap my fingers to change my SL to full power if only for a day or two.

I will be pleasantly surprised if after riding the incoming new Vado 4.0 I feel like I am able to 'get some exercise'. My friend rides the 5.0 IGH verson and it seems to me that he is NOT working up much of a sweat. Obviously one could lower the assist level to increase heart rate etc....but without owning the full power version I just can't quite correlate the bike weight and need for constant motor assist with the 'fitness' aspect of riding an ebike.

I will soon find out.

I had originally purchased the SL version because I first/foremost wish to get some exercise and increase my fitness during my rides. The SL is great for this.

The full power Vado is obviously a differing animal and there have been times when I wished I could snap my fingers to change my SL to full power if only for a day or two.

I will be pleasantly surprised if after riding the incoming new Vado 4.0 I feel like I am able to 'get some exercise'. My friend rides the 5.0 IGH verson and it seems to me that he is NOT working up much of a sweat. Obviously one could lower the assist level to increase heart rate etc....but without owning the full power version I just can't quite correlate the bike weight and need for constant motor assist with the 'fitness' aspect of riding an ebike.

I will soon find out.
Oh, I sweat plenty on my Vado 4, but I ride fast, and only in ECO...even on hills. That is the beauty of the Vado 4 and Mission Control...you can tune it like you want. For me, 35/35 (ECO) easily gets me 60 miles per ride, and arriving home with 32 to 34% battery left. Plenty of exercise and breaking a sweat :) .

Back