Tero X 5.0 Fenders removed

AZ-cruzer

Region
USA
Hey all, just wanted to share some images if your curious what the Tero X’s look like without the fenders.

I live is Southern AZ, not a commuter, so I don’t need fenders, if I get caught in a Monsoon, oh well…I get wet.
As for lights, I prefer to use the little battery flicker type Bontragers anyway.

Thanks to those on the forum that provide information on getting the crank arm off, that helped a ton!
After getting it up onto the stand and seeing the grommet where the taillight and speed sensor go through, I thought this is a slam dunk.

When I opened the motor cover and started fishing through the wires, I saw they put a zip tie around the taillight wire to keep it from
feeding out the back of the grommet into the wheel while the suspension was moving…pretty clever, but a major pain to get in there
and cut it off without screwing up the wire. Next I saw a torx screw on the cover with the grommet installed and thought ok, should be simple…uh nope.
The plate actually has clips on the inside that won’t allow the bracket to be removed..at least I couldn’t get it to budge.

With the fender still installed, I pulled the wire out of the track inside of the fender to the mounting screw to the rack. That provided enough
service loop to get the wire outside of the motor cavity where I could cut the zip tie off without damaging the wire itself.
Then feed the connector through the grommet and there you have it…fender free!

IMG_3370.jpg

IMG_3372.jpg

IMG_3377.jpg

IMG_3378.jpg

IMG_3365.jpg

The missing cavity is the taillight (red)
IMG_3364.jpg

the left side is where the taillight routes in the track...the right side shows how much service loop is stuffed into the motor cavity

IMG_3381.jpg

The bolt by the rack is how far I needed to pull out of the track to get enough service loop to cut the zip tie

IMG_3382.jpg

Notice the connector is keyed...for when you put it back on..
IMG_3384.jpg

The grommet that the speed sensor and taillight wires go through..underneath the swingarm
IMG_3368.jpg

This is what the zip tie looked like attached to the wire...imagine that stuffed into the cavity.
IMG_3385.jpg

Last edited:
Looks so naked!

What size frame is that? My XL has enough room on the frame part of the seatpost to mount a Varia. If I tried putting it on the dropper post like that I'd probably eject it 5 times per ride.

Looks so naked!

What size frame is that? My XL has enough room on the frame part of the seatpost to mount a Varia. If I tried putting it on the dropper post like that I'd probably eject it 5 times per ride.
Hi Ben, thanks for all of your input since you got your bike, I have been a spectator for a year or so.

This is a size (L)... I would need a bigger o-ring to mount it to the frame, it's really tight on the seat post with the one supplied. I am curious..you have it mounted on your frame and it still reads correctly? I was concerned about getting too close to the tire, like the image below...maybe I should go get the larger o-ring and give it a try.

Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 10.46.20 AM.png

Did you get rid of the original tail-light and replaced it with a seat-post mounted rechargeable one?
Hi Stefan, yes I just left the old one on the fender and added the battery operated one. I was trying to remove the headlight as well, but I would have to drop the motor to find the right wire, maybe after the warranty expires in December 2025 :D

That looks so much better! I really don’t like fenders.

I get they serve a purpose, but can’t stand the look.

This is a size (L)... I would need a bigger o-ring to mount it to the frame, it's really tight on the seat post with the one supplied. I am curious..you have it mounted on your frame and it still reads correctly? I was concerned about getting too close to the tire, like the image below...maybe I should go get the larger o-ring and give it a try.
You can see it in profile in this pic from my thread: https://forums.electricbikereview.com/threads/i-bought-a-turbo-tero-x-6-0-ama.52857/post-606315

It has been working fine for me mounted like that for a year. It might work "better" if it were higher? But I haven't tried. You can see in the pic how the seat is slammed there so there'd be no way to mount it on the actual dropper post. To mount higher I'd need a seat mount. That is the stock rubber band. It's just very snug.

The only time there has been a car behind me that the radar didn't see was when someone paced me for half a mile. Since there was no speed differential, it quit showing the traffic. When I shoulder checked I jumped.

I've also seen it be unhappy when riding near another Vario owner. Just constant errors, presumably due to radar interference.

You can see it in profile in this pic from my thread: https://forums.electricbikereview.com/threads/i-bought-a-turbo-tero-x-6-0-ama.52857/post-606315

It has been working fine for me mounted like that for a year. It might work "better" if it were higher? But I haven't tried. You can see in the pic how the seat is slammed there so there'd be no way to mount it on the actual dropper post. To mount higher I'd need a seat mount. That is the stock rubber band. It's just very snug.

The only time there has been a car behind me that the radar didn't see was when someone paced me for half a mile. Since there was no speed differential, it quit showing the traffic. When I shoulder checked I jumped.

I've also seen it be unhappy when riding near another Vario owner. Just constant errors, presumably due to radar interference.
I have a Garmin seat mount - it bolts to those two holes in the seat. Gets it a little higher and I worry (a little) less about it coming off.

Pic stolen from the web, but it looks like this:

1711573070966.png

My Varia has the blinking light built in.

The stock mount is pretty terrible given the price of the Varia. It won't stay in place when twisting the Varia in and out, and the rubber will snap at some point.
I was paranoid about that at first, but I've been over some rough terrain and never had an issue. Having to hold the base to twist it on/off isn't great, though. I'm going to try your suggested mount.
(I also reassure myself that my bike would beep if the radar fell off and went out of range, so it should be hard to lose)

I was paranoid about that at first, but I've been over some rough terrain and never had an issue. Having to hold the base to twist it on/off isn't great, though. I'm going to try your suggested mount.
(I also reassure myself that my bike would beep if the radar fell off and went out of range, so it should be hard to lose)
My thoughts exactly on the disconnect sound if it ever fell off -- but I always turn it off on hike and bike trails so that wasn't foolproof.

That looks so much better! I really don’t like fenders.

I get they serve a purpose, but can’t stand the look.
I like it without as well...I bought it used, once I figured out it was possible I jumped on this...

I went and rode it, while I was testing it, I took a picture of the serial number, went home and called rider care.
They told me everything about it, how many charges, needed an update, battery health.

Once I got it home, I basically tore the whole thing apart and must say...if I were a fender guy, I would be more than pleased
with the attention to detail on these...very robust design.

ad from seller.png

Good stuff Ben, you can really notice the difference in the seat tube lengths. The XL is 20mm longer, so it sticks above the fender.

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 6.15.34 PM.png

Funny you should mention the interference with other Varia units. I put the Bontrager flicker light on there after I removed the fender, ever since then the Wahoo head unit freaks out for the first 30 yards from the driveway, then everything settles down, must be the flickering. I might try mounting the light on the back my helmet and move the radar where you have it located for the heck of it.

Keep us posted on the new bracket that Avalanche suggested.

Keep us posted on the new bracket that Avalanche suggested.
Didn't work for me. With no spacers (so set up for the largest tube diameter) it doesn't fit where my current mount is: The base of the dropper post just above the top of the seat tube. With spacers, it could probably go on the moving part of the dropper post, but at that point I might as well get the seat mount.

Thanks for the update Ben.

I moved mine down on the large diameter at the fixed base of the dropper. I rotated the seat clamp so the bolt is facing backwards, in this direction,
it acts like a shelf for the radar mount to sit on during vibration...so far it works well. Somewhere down the road I might get the seat bracket as well.

On another note, for those contemplating the radar, they're on sale now:

for those contemplating the radar, they're on sale now:
I highly recommend them. Before I bought mine, I watched reviews and "imagined" what it would be like given the devices capabilities. The ideas you have about weaknesses (like two lane roads, or range, or false alarms) are really not a problem at all in actual use. Having a mental picture of what's behind you is really nice.

It's got some flaws (like occasionally throwing errors which the Specialized display turns into a warning box) and I wish it would remember my default blinkenlight setting. I would also prefer it charged with USB C instead of micro B. But if I lost mine tomorrow I'd immediately order a replacement.

Back