When to Charge the battery

flugelboneman

Region
Canada
City
Comox Valley British Columbia Canada
Lots of opinions when to charge after trip. My tech told me that you should charge no more often than about every third trip if you are averaging 25 kms/trip. My prob is that I live in fear of being stranded with a dead battery and having to pedal the monster home. Tech says charging too often tends to shorten battery life. I have been charging whenever I get below 60% and he says that is too often. So he analyzed the battery after 5 yrs and 10000 kms. My battery is still 85% to the good. He says if I hadnt been charging so often the battery would probably be at 88-90%. So for my peace of mind I think I will still charge when I get below 60%.

I believe a Giant E+2 explorer has a 36V14h battery, about 500WH? If you're at 85%, that's about 25 WH difference if down from 90%. I'll be generous and call that 3 miles worth of capacity. It's probably not even 2 miles, Your tech is well meaning, but after 5 years, I don't think you're doing anything wrong.

I believe a Giant E+2 explorer has a 36V14h battery, about 500WH? If you're at 85%, that's about 25 WH difference if down from 90%. I'll be generous and call that 3 miles worth of capacity. It's probably not even 2 miles, Your tech is well meaning, but after 5 years, I don't think you're doing anything wrong.
Thx Harry. Yes that is the battery. Yes I feel encouraged. At 84 I dont need a lot of years to go onthe battery. My own personal battery is probably in more jeopardy than the bike. LOL

Why not keep your battery charged up between trips so that you have a full tank whenever you're ready for a ride? I charge my 14.8v after every ride or before I go on my next excursion. I've been doing that for 2 1/2 yrs. No issues at this point.

Why not keep your battery charged up between trips so that you have a full tank whenever you're ready for a ride? I charge my 14.8v after every ride or before I go on my next excursion. I've been doing that for 2 1/2 yrs. No issues at this point.
That was basically my question. Does one do any harm to the battery when you do that, charge after every trip.

From what I've read, yeah, it hurts the battery a bit to keep it at a full charge, but so what? Range anxiety would be far more detrimental to my heart than the thought of having to buy a replacement battery in 8 years rather than 10.

In the non-riding season, though, suggest you run it down to about 50% if it's just going to sit.

From what I've read, yeah, it hurts the battery a bit to keep it at a full charge, but so what? Range anxiety would be far more detrimental to my heart than the thought of having to buy a replacement battery in 8 years rather than 10.

In the non-riding season, though, suggest you run it down to about 50% if it's just going to sit.
Thx a bunch dorkyman

If you're not using your batteries full capacity on a typical ride... It's best to charge to less than 100%. Running between 80% to 40% is better than running between 100% and 60%
My typical 20mi ride requires 20% so I usually charge to 80% which allows me to ride without anxiety if I decide to even double my ride and with minimal wear on the battery.
That said... Don't stress about it and use it to its full enjoyment.

edit add: Good read.

Last edited:
Back