Car Vertical Bike Rack

Aushiker

Region
Australia
City
Walyalup, Western Australia
I am looking for a hitch bike rack to carry my ebike + analogue bike or fat bike. Anyway, the options are pretty limited in my next of the woods. The Yakima StageTwo, for example, looks promising, but if you go off-road, the weight limit drops to 18 kg / per bike. The other alternative that has made the shortlist is the BuzzRack e-Scorpion H2, but it is not as sophisticated.

The alternative option is a vertical bike rack such as the Australian-designed and built ShingleBack 2B90, which is, of course, more coin, but it has an increased weight limit of 35 kg per bike, and it is fat bike compatible (which is a feature I require).

Anyway, I am asking if anyone has experience with vertical bike racks. How did you find it with your e-Bike?

FWIW, I have no personal experience with vertical racks but I spoke to a fellow rider at a trailhead last season who had one. His was a Yakima Hang Tight-4

He liked the rack because it kept the weight closer to the vehicle and didn't move around much on rough roads. His only complaint was the difficulty in lifting his two 65# fatties onto the rack. He also mentioned it blocked more of his view out the rear window.

FWIW, I have no personal experience with vertical racks but I spoke to a fellow rider at a trailhead last season who had one. His was a Yakima Hang Tight-4

He liked the rack because it kept the weight closer to the vehicle and didn't move around much on rough roads. His only complaint was the difficulty in lifting his two 65# fatties onto the rack. He also mentioned it blocked more of his view out the rear window.
Thanks. I am concerned about the weight and have asked Shingleback if the bike could be "rolled on". Their 3+ bike racks make rolling on easy as the bike can be mounted when the rack is titled. I do not think this is possible with the 2B90.

I hadn't considered the rear window issue. Looking at images of the two racks it may be issue with both of them.

sb2b90-01.jpg

ImageResizer.ashx

Is that your pickup? If so, have you considered carrying the bikes in the bed?

Is that your pickup? If so, have you considered carrying the bikes in the bed?
No, not mine. I have a Subaru Forester that is similar to the second image.

I have found a video showing the unloading and loading of e-MTB ...

For carrying 2 bikes, the Shingleback looks promising, since it keeps the bikes as close to the vehicle as possible. A bit spendy though but hey, if it works.......

For carrying 2 bikes, the Shingleback looks promising, since it keeps the bikes as close to the vehicle as possible. A bit spendy though but hey, if it works.......
Yes, it's pricey, but "only" $140 more than the Yakima when fully configured. Keeping the bikes close to the vehicle is also important, as our regulations only allow for around 600 mm / 23" extrusion to the rear. Not that I have ever heard of this law being enforced, but there is always a first time.

Back